• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT EPL TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Manchester United***

How high was it?
We was attacking their goal
It ended up with them keeper and the whole pitch being used by both sides .. pretty much like the 2nd goal we scored
It’s normal and IMO wasn’t a high line
It looks like a high line because we’re the team that is attacking the most
When the pass was made to the Man U attacker for the first goal from close to the half way line we had only 2 defenders in our own half that could engage with him by chasing him, not coming out to meet him.We weren't attacking their goal, the pass came after their keeper threw the ball out to the right wing.

When the pass was made to the Man U attacker for the first goal from close to the half way line we had only 2 defenders in our own half that could engage with him by chasing him, not coming out to meet him.We weren't attacking their goal, the pass came after their keeper threw the ball out to the right wing.
Yeah
After a failed cross from us
So we literally were attacking seconds earlier

We had 7 players running back to their 3
And when they got in the area and shot we had 7 players in the area to their 3 again
And weirdly we had several who turned their back on the ball
It wasn’t because of a high line… it was poor defending

We had 7 players running back to their 3
And when they got in the area and shot we had 7 players in the area to their 3 again
And weirdly we had several who turned their back on the ball
It wasn’t because of a high line… it was poor defending
There is a difference between running back into your own half to defend and coming out to meet the attack from your own half.

There is a difference between running back into your own half to defend and coming out to meet the attack from your own half.
But you so as we only had 2 players doing that
It was a long pass/ball
I think your comments don’t reflect what actually happened
The high line wasn’t the issue. It wasn’t really a high line
It was poor defending, a great finish and some bad luck with the deflected pass
7 men should deal with it

Has no-one here mentioned what Ange partially revealed post-match, that a virus ran through the club and several of the players who did play were still recovering from that? A massive effort!!!!
Absolutely, another game in adversity when actually we were the much better side for periods. Not often we say that at OT. We are going to get better again, I think knocking anyone give the front to back circumstances is short sighted.

During my deep dive on Spursplay I wanted to note how many times our highline caused problems for our defence.
It was 10 occasions and Utd were clearly playing the ball into the gap behind Porro. One goal resulted from it. On a few occasions it required last ditch defending and a couple of poor finishes to prevent further goals.
I understand the strategy but the first goal came very early as a result of the high line. I would expect some caution that early.
For me the key is pressure on the ball. If you play a high line and allow players like Eriksen and Fernandes time to play the pass you'll be in trouble.

I think sometimes there's undue scrutiny on our style and the "inverted full backs", particularly for counter attacks. In my mind very little difference in those defensive transitions between our style and what has been the norm for quite a while (full backs high and wide when attacking).

I think perhaps we took a little bit of time to properly get into the game, including our pressure on their excellent ball playing midfielders. A lot of changes in the team and sickness in the squad and that will happen.

For me it is perhaps not being so predictable. The one dimensional approach will get found out. We have pace up top now so hitting on the break could be another option. I have noticed particularly Vicario and Romero inviting the opposition to press sometimes. That opens spaces for us to run into.
I don't think we are one dimensional. Inviting press and playing through it is a part of the system. As are direct balls in behind when we can find them, particularly from midfield. But being without key players that are really good at that makes it happen less imo.

It's a simplistic characterization of how we play (i.e. that we are wide open)

Against United, we had our 3rd choice midfield, players who were playing their first match back in month, a debut and a team probably low on energy due to a week of illness, mistakes were made.

We play a high line, effectively a 2-3-5 in possession/attack, what that does mean is the center of the pitch is compressed, the counter/transition against us is to go wide (longest route), while we have multiple defenders (Vdv, Udogie, Porro) with league leading pace to get back (in strait line, i.e. shortest route to cover). The CB's role is simply to slow the attacker until rest of team gets back (Bournemouth game Royal did this very well against Solanke)

The idea that teams don't get countered against is very weird, City/Liverpool/Arsenal/Vila all get countered multiple times a game, no fan/pundit is out there shouting they are way too open.

My test is the real world, if we are as open as everyone says, if the system is so flawed, two questions

- How come none of City/Liverpool/Arsenal/United have been able to expose it? to give us the hammering we have been told to expect?
- How many times is Vicario left 1:1? can you even recall Vicario being left 1:1, I can with Allison & Edison way more

It's a simplistic characterization of how we play (i.e. that we are wide open)

Against United, we had our 3rd choice midfield, players who were playing their first match back in month, a debut and a team probably low on energy due to a week of illness, mistakes were made.

We play a high line, effectively a 2-3-5 in possession/attack, what that does mean is the center of the pitch is compressed, the counter/transition against us is to go wide (longest route), while we have multiple defenders (Vdv, Udogie, Porro) with league leading pace to get back (in strait line, i.e. shortest route to cover). The CB's role is simply to slow the attacker until rest of team gets back (Bournemouth game Royal did this very well against Solanke)

The idea that teams don't get countered against is very weird, City/Liverpool/Arsenal/Vila all get countered multiple times a game, no fan/pundit is out there shouting they are way too open.

My test is the real world, if we are as open as everyone says, if the system is so flawed, two questions

- How come none of City/Liverpool/Arsenal/United have been able to expose it? to give us the hammering we have been told to expect?
- How many times is Vicario left 1:1? can you even recall Vicario being left 1:1, I can with Allison & Edison way more
The first goal came within the first few minutes when we were very fresh, probably too fresh !!
Our MF had two naturally defensive and combative players in Skipp and Hojbjerg, Bentancur has also got good defensive awareness as shown later in the game.

Our defensive shape on that first goal was all over the place due to scrambling back rather than coming out to defend.

My point is more one of caution and to monitor how opponents counter our system, also how we respond to that.

I know United aren't playing well but this game shows how far we've come with this manager. For years we've gone up there and let them walk over us, today we took it to them, didnt get the win but the attitude was right. I sure we are heading in the right direction with this guy.
we've stuffed manu 6-1 during covid and Lucas put on a show too - then Bale and Deuce, we've been beating them fairly frequently in recent years imho, we just didn't have our assassins on in this game. But we didn't need to this time round. We will when we are chasing the league title next season though.

early in the season we saw the drop off when we played Fulham. But I think now he knows the squad better and we shifted some that did not suit it etc.

It is impressive that we can continue to boss possession and look fluid even with so many players out. It still hurts in terms of quality up front, finishing. but now we have our first team defense available as other posters have said. That should help us in letting in less goals. Davies and Royal did admirably but their height at set pieces etc and its not their natural position did hinder them. Romero and VDV need some games to get back up to full speed.

Most teams you take out their spine. Two CB's Two midfielders and Forwards and they would be a mess. So I think that is what others are seeing. Wondering what we will do when we have a fully fit X1 again.
you mean top like first 10 games of this season? We will win the league with a fully fit XI, and good squad depth, and everyone signing from the same song sheet

Back