• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Video Game Thread ***

It gets 9.1 on IGN?

Yes sorry it was 9.1 on IGN... Inside Gaming gave it 6. GameSpot gave it 8.5 so of the 3 reviews Ive seen 2 of them rate it quite highly so gonna order it today.
Still not got Dead Space 3 yet or pre-ordered Bioshock:Infinite mainly due to lack of funds. Paying for a holiday so cant afford luxuries like ganes lol. Seen Tomb Raider for 20 notes on PC so think i can stretch that far.

As for GTA 5 the latest I heard was September release. Still not 100% on if there will be a PC release but some places offering pre-order for PC so hopeful

So anybody playing Tomb Raider? Im bout 20% through and so far so good. Its a bit cut scene heavy and maybe a few too many quick time evnts for my liking, but those are two of only a few bad points. Combats ok. Exploration not as free roamin as suggested.. Pretty linear in the sense that theres not too many ways you can complete a task altho you can travel back to old areas.
Graphics are impressive, especially on PC with the TressFX hair. Most realistic hair ever seen in a game and hope this TressFX is used in many more games.

Also started playing Witcher 2. Awesome game!! Really enjoying it. Any fans of Skyrim may wanna check this one out... Its a different beast from Skyrim but is a very deep RPG and alot prettier than Skyrim too

fudge Simcity. That is all.

[video=youtube;e-LE0ycgkBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e-LE0ycgkBQ[/video]

So anybody playing Tomb Raider? Im bout 20% through and so far so good. Its a bit cut scene heavy and maybe a few too many quick time evnts for my liking, but those are two of only a few bad points. Combats ok. Exploration not as free roamin as suggested.. Pretty linear in the sense that theres not too many ways you can complete a task altho you can travel back to old areas.
Graphics are impressive, especially on PC with the TressFX hair. Most realistic hair ever seen in a game and hope this TressFX is used in many more games.

Also started playing Witcher 2. Awesome game!! Really enjoying it. Any fans of Skyrim may wanna check this one out... Its a different beast from Skyrim but is a very deep RPG and alot prettier than Skyrim too

Yup, witcher 2's character models are so detailed.... and there's boobies! That alone makes it worth it. They announced the third one a few weeks ago, looked like they were trying to make it less linear.

[video=youtube;e-LE0ycgkBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e-LE0ycgkBQ[/video]

Haha, so true about EA and Activision.

While Simcity has been working, I've actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It's definitely a bit deeper than the previous iterations, but certain bugs keep popping up that could be deemed game-breaking.
The many visualizations and data layers are generally helpful in pointing you to the various problems that can crop up. I mostly just like to watch the poop layer.

They need to fix recycling centers ASAP though. In fairly large cities of over 100K, I've had the centers break on me and refuse to process, which hurts the entire chain of production as well as causing the garbage to pile up and polluting.

You're unhappy paying for* a game that you can play whenever you like** that allows you to run a city your way***?

Ungrateful, that's your problem DS.

* - renting until EA turn the servers off.
** - might be some queuing involved...
*** - provided you don't make it too big, who needs more than a town anyway, really?

You're unhappy paying for* a game that you can play whenever you like** that allows you to run a city your way***?

Ungrateful, that's your problem DS.

* - renting until EA turn the servers off.
** - might be some queuing involved...
*** - provided you don't make it too big, who needs more than a town anyway, really?

See, I'd be fine with that if they just called it 'SimTown', rebranded it as an MMO and reminded everyone that their North American servers are a couple of iphones hooked up to a single wireless router. Your honesty would serve the world well.

It would utterly destroy EA, mind. But there are worse things to read in the morning than 'Seedy Ron announces EA liquidation'.

Haha, so true about EA and Activision.

While Simcity has been working, I've actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It's definitely a bit deeper than the previous iterations, but certain bugs keep popping up that could be deemed game-breaking.
The many visualizations and data layers are generally helpful in pointing you to the various problems that can crop up. I mostly just like to watch the poop layer.

They need to fix recycling centers ASAP though. In fairly large cities of over 100K, I've had the centers break on me and refuse to process, which hurts the entire chain of production as well as causing the garbage to pile up and polluting.

Simcity itself is not a bad game. The way it was launched, the multitude of errors it launched with, the fact that a supposedly single-player fudging game is put online and cannot be played when servers are down, again (see Diablo for example)....these things combine to tell me this much;

EA is trying to get me to rent a game from them that they will discontinue after a couple of years (when they shut the servers down), and now they don't even let me play the game for the short time span it's up because of server problems (which will likely continue intermittently throughout Simcity's short lifespan, until they release Simcity 2015 or whatever they decide to call it). That is an utterly unethical business model. I just about cajoled myself into buying it, overriding my desire to avoid paying these cretins to rip me off....but it turns out that was the wrong move. And that enrages me.

After all, I've never bought a book that melts after two years because the author writes another one, and refuses to open when the author doesn't feel like letting me open it.

Sigh. Yeah, I liked the poop layer too.

Oh, well, at least their technical support is a shining example of competence and eloquence.

ifEUP.jpg

Simcity itself is not a bad game. The way it was launched, the multitude of errors it launched with, the fact that a supposedly single-player fudging game is put online and cannot be played when servers are down, again (see Diablo for example)....these things combine to tell me this much;

EA is trying to get me to rent a game from them that they will discontinue after a couple of years (when they shut the servers down), and now they don't even let me play the game for the short time span it's up because of server problems (which will likely continue intermittently throughout Simcity's short lifespan, until they release Simcity 2015 or whatever they decide to call it). That is an utterly unethical business model. I just about cajoled myself into buying it, overriding my desire to avoid paying these cretins to rip me off....but it turns out that was the wrong move. And that enrages me.

After all, I've never bought a book that melts after two years because the author writes another one, and refuses to open when the author doesn't feel like letting me open it.

Sigh. Yeah, I liked the poop layer too.

Almost identical to Diablo: if the servers go down, you're boned. I spent the first 3 days trying to log in, but thankfully those issues have been resolved. I eventually made my home on the Europe West 1 server. The reasoning for EA's decision to make the city sizes so small is that since this is a "mainstream" game, it needs to run on everyone's computer, including their grandmother's.
But I can't wait for EA to release an "expansion pack" that will have regions with bigger city limits.
I understand that the focus is more on regional play, but you still need to have some utilities in your city. What's more is that those utility buildings take up a brick-ton (hehe) of precious real estate. Then you have the ever-depleting water table. In my opinion, I find water to be the most valuable resource in the game. One of the great works should just be a big GHod damn reservoir. Because if you have the misfortune that one of my cities has of being constantly bombarded by meteors, you will notice that the area of impact will be completely dry.

On the one hand, this creates an interesting conundrum and gives me "gameplay", but on the other hand, I essentially must rely on my neighbors to build up surplus water for me. My neighbors suck and create criminal breeding grounds that are determined to watch my city burn.

Yup, witcher 2's character models are so detailed.... and there's boobies! That alone makes it worth it. They announced the third one a few weeks ago, looked like they were trying to make it less linear.

Yeah i read the preview of Witcher 3 and they boast a free-roaming world bigger than Skyrim. Horses will now feature plus you can sail ships between islands at your own leaisure. It also said you will have to actually do real Witcher work to earn a wage so basically side quests will be how u earn money in this one. It boasts to be 80-100hrs long but will feature the same game-changing decision making that was what made Witcher 2 so interesting. Such a shame that what sounds like the best Witcher game in the series (and one thatll finally challange skyrim for the RPG crown) will also be the last.
I hope the developers will work on a whole new story/world but in a similar play style.

As for the DRM on Sim City. This really is ruining games... Its not the answer to piracy for me as it causes more frustration than anything. Ubisoft went the similar route with Settlers 7 and it crippled the game. It has no more than 2 stars on Amazon customer reviews because the DRM has made it unplayable for most. When i did get on it it was a decent game but spoiled by online registration.
Havent got Sim City yet but this online business certainly puts me off a bit. Diablo 3 was a pain at times

Yeah i read the preview of Witcher 3 and they boast a free-roaming world bigger than Skyrim. Horses will now feature plus you can sail ships between islands at your own leaisure. It also said you will have to actually do real Witcher work to earn a wage so basically side quests will be how u earn money in this one. It boasts to be 80-100hrs long but will feature the same game-changing decision making that was what made Witcher 2 so interesting. Such a shame that what sounds like the best Witcher game in the series (and one thatll finally challange skyrim for the RPG crown) will also be the last.
I hope the developers will work on a whole new story/world but in a similar play style.

As for the DRM on Sim City. This really is ruining games... Its not the answer to piracy for me as it causes more frustration than anything. Ubisoft went the similar route with Settlers 7 and it crippled the game. It has no more than 2 stars on Amazon customer reviews because the DRM has made it unplayable for most. When i did get on it it was a decent game but spoiled by online registration.
Havent got Sim City yet but this online business certainly puts me off a bit. Diablo 3 was a pain at times

They're working on some steam-punk themed game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2077

As for simcity, I'd recommend you continue to wait another week or three. I'm sure this was a case of EA not delaying the game when they should have because the game needs a lot of work. However, I will say that if they resolve a lot of these bigger issues, the game will be really good. The always-on DRM is unfortunate and it caused a similar launch to D3. The game can be addicting, but the city sizes are really damn small. Region play still isn't working right so most cities need to have most utilities which can be very space-consuming.

They're working on some steam-punk themed game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2077

As for simcity, I'd recommend you continue to wait another week or three. I'm sure this was a case of EA not delaying the game when they should have because the game needs a lot of work. However, I will say that if they resolve a lot of these bigger issues, the game will be really good. The always-on DRM is unfortunate and it caused a similar launch to D3. The game can be addicting, but the city sizes are really damn small. Region play still isn't working right so most cities need to have most utilities which can be very space-consuming.

Ah is that the same guys? I remember the trailer. Awesome! Hope its in the same sort of style game as Witcher 2 and 3 with the same detail put into the characters. Will keep an eye out for this one.

Anyone had the new Bioshock yet then? Any good?

Just a few quick words...
There is so much detail throughout the entire game that I've actually been walking around and admiring the sights when I'm not shooting stuff or decapitating people with my skyhook. The game is simply gorgeous and for every step I take, there is something interesting to look at. The powers are pretty cool and the AI enemies seem to take cover and try to flank. Your AI companion is very intelligent and doesn't need to be babysat. She can handle her own and will try to help you out in a pitched fight by throwing you ammo or health. Any quibbles I've had so far have been very minor and are overshadowed by the game's sheer brilliance. I maybe only put three hours into it so far, but I'm making sure to milk the experience for what it's worth.

Battlefield 4 trailer. Looks insane.

I'm going to be perfectly honest, I thought the character models at the beginning of the video were real actors for a second. I was watching in the standard window on 320, but this game easily has the best character models/faces I've seen in a game. The motions and facial animations are incredible, definitely stoked for this one to come out.

Just a few quick words...
There is so much detail throughout the entire game that I've actually been walking around and admiring the sights when I'm not shooting stuff or decapitating people with my skyhook. The game is simply gorgeous and for every step I take, there is something interesting to look at. The powers are pretty cool and the AI enemies seem to take cover and try to flank. Your AI companion is very intelligent and doesn't need to be babysat. She can handle her own and will try to help you out in a pitched fight by throwing you ammo or health. Any quibbles I've had so far have been very minor and are overshadowed by the game's sheer brilliance. I maybe only put three hours into it so far, but I'm making sure to milk the experience for what it's worth.

Very much the consensus at the moment, it has perfect scores on some very reputable sites. I'll pick it up on the weekend perhaps.

Agree with that. Settler 7 was a great game, but gets lost by the DRM. Problem for me with Settlers 7 though was people just dropped out in game because they knew they couldn't win. Some games IMO are not good for online play.. and for me strategy games fall into this category. They should spend more time in doing more career game features and elongating the missions.

On Bioshock, whilst purchasing a present for my nephew (FiFA 13) I bought a 2nd hand Bioshock2 for 6.99. Was it a good decision.

Back