• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

I agree with that. North American sport is weird.

I went to a Toronto v Cleveland baseball game last week. Saw a guy wearing a Toronto shirt and a Cleveland hat :-s

There are some rivalries, but they're rare. Yankees/Red Sox and Bears/Vikings.

I think whoop is talking about fans who just wear a top cos they're the latest flavour of the month and not really following the team. Bit like a load of fans over in America all of a sudden wearing Emirates Marketing Project tops. It's a bit cringeworthy I must admit.

I think whoop is talking about fans who just wear a top cos they're the latest flavour of the month and not really following the team. Bit like a load of fans over in America all of a sudden wearing Emirates Marketing Project tops. It's a bit cringeworthy I must admit.

At last thank you but don't be too mean on those said 'fans' apparently they're just as big fans as people who go to the Etihad week in week out

At last thank you but don't be too mean on those said 'fans' apparently they're just as big fans as people who go to the Etihad week in week out

Probably bigger fans than those they'll get if the sheikh builds that 90K pipe dream of his.

That's hardly the norm though. And WhoopWhoop could certainly have made his point better - why is he so against Spurs coming to North America when they're are actual fans here?

im not sure, yes he is having a look at them but i dont see him keeping them long term.

Note I said squad units, I dont imagine them being regular starters,

Long term I expect they will be moved on, just perhaps not immediately.

My thinking is that we have a limited budget to do all our restructuring (incl a new front line!) and so some players who arent considered long term assets will be kept on because, frankly, we will have no one else otherwise.

Both players are fit, industrious, high work ethis players - I think he could use them

Yep.

New age spastic in goal.

Quite a lot of other new age spastics in outfield positions.

And, thankfully, some proper Englishmen too.
Hilarious;)I obviously offended you frightfully sorry old chap meet me in the bill nick any game this season and I'll buy you a pint? Unless you don't go to games and come from America then in that case.........;)

Plastics

Quick question: have you ever actually been to America? I think if you have spent any time here, you will have realized that those "plastic/spastic" supporters are not fans of "your" beloved club. I know that you (and I) think our club is the brick, but here there are very few American football fans who feel likewise. In the last few years, I've lived in the two biggest cities in California (LA and SF), and our San Francisco club has about 45/50 fans and the LA one is bigger, but nothing compared to Liverpool, Arsenal (two most popular), CFC, MUFC, now MCFC.

Most of the Spurs supporters here have real ties to N17 and Spurs (mine is through my family who is originally from the area, who according to you, qualified to be real supporters) and feel the pain and joy just as much as you. While it's hard to imagine someone choosing Spurs just to choose them, there are some who have done that as well. There is no substitue for WHL, and believe me, I wish that we could be there every week, but it's just not feasible. Frankly, I'd love to move to London altogether, but the economy obviously isn't great and it is tough to get work there without a big network, even in my profession which traditionally sends a lot of Americans there.

I don't think anybody is looking for your respect, and I do think that these trips may be a little more trouble than they are worth. Honestly, I can't see a ton of Americans becoming fans of the 6th or 7th most known team in England (in US terms) because they went and saw them play some brick MLS team, but there is a chunk of real fans and a hell of a lot of British transplants who are looking forward to seeing them. If you ever make it out to America (or any other "plastic" country you have a problem with), come watch a game at the pub, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. COYS.

I like cricket support Middlesex
I like boxing too have been to numerous British boxers fights
I don't root for the Chicago bulls
I don't have a Hardon for rafael nadal
As I've said before its my opinion no one will change it I just don't understand. I've not once mentioned who better/bigger fans are? This whole argument started from me saying don't like how we go places like America to which I get told their are 'die hards' etc in America maybe so we've got plenty of fans in Scotland, holland and Scandinavia too why not do preseason there and thank our loyal fans from these footballing nations? It's cos they're already fans we're going to America to try and get new fans ones who probably wear Chelsea shirts when they are in town and spurs when we are there. Just my opinion I remember two years ago when we played in America fans being interviewed outside the game wearing a spurs shirt asked a question 'I actually root for man u but today I'm rooting for spurs' sorry if I don't want anyone like that attached to the club again just my opinion.

Quick question: have you ever actually been to America? I think if you have spent any time here, you will have realized that those "plastic/spastic" supporters are not fans of "your" beloved club. I know that you (and I) think our club is the brick, but here there are very few American football fans who feel likewise. In the last few years, I've lived in the two biggest cities in California (LA and SF), and our San Francisco club has about 45/50 fans and the LA one is bigger, but nothing compared to Liverpool, Arsenal (two most popular), CFC, MUFC, now MCFC.

Most of the Spurs supporters here have real ties to N17 and Spurs (mine is through my family who is originally from the area, who according to you, qualified to be real supporters) and feel the pain and joy just as much as you. While it's hard to imagine someone choosing Spurs just to choose them, there are some who have done that as well. There is no substitue for WHL, and believe me, I wish that we could be there every week, but it's just not feasible. Frankly, I'd love to move to London altogether, but the economy obviously isn't great and it is tough to get work there without a big network, even in my profession which traditionally sends a lot of Americans there.

I don't think anybody is looking for your respect, and I do think that these trips may be a little more trouble than they are worth. Honestly, I can't see a ton of Americans becoming fans of the 6th or 7th most known team in England (in US terms) because they went and saw them play some brick MLS team, but there is a chunk of real fans and a hell of a lot of British transplants who are looking forward to seeing them. If you ever make it out to America (or any other "plastic" country you have a problem with), come watch a game at the pub, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. COYS.

I would say that we're more likely the 5th best supported Premier League team in the US at present. Nothing scientific to my opinion. Just based on the following which, I think, is as accurate a barometer as anything:

The biggest forum for US association football fans (though there are a few fans from other countries who post there too) is bigsoccer.

And one of the busiest sub forums of bigsoccer, if not the busiest sub forum, is the Premier League sub forum.

Each Premier League club has its own page. In terms of posts on each page, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool (in that order) are miles ahead of the rest.

Spurs' page is comfortably the fifth busiest page, far ahead of Saudi Sportswashing Machine in sixth.

Emirates Marketing Project are nowhere as of yet.

Sure, they're doubtless making great strides. It won't be long before they have a sizeable US fan base. But they've got a lot of catching up to do even on Spurs - let alone the original Sky Four.

I would say that we're more likely the 5th best supported Premier League team in the US at present. Nothing scientific to my opinion. Just based on the following which, I think, is as accurate a barometer as anything:

The biggest forum for US association football fans (though there are a few fans from other countries who post there too) is bigsoccer.

And one of the busiest sub forums of bigsoccer, if not the busiest sub forum, is the Premier League sub forum.

Each Premier League club has its own page. In terms of posts on each page, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool (in that order) are miles ahead of the rest.

Spurs' page is comfortably the fifth busiest page, far ahead of Saudi Sportswashing Machine in sixth.

Emirates Marketing Project are nowhere as of yet.

Sure, they're doubtless making great strides. It won't be long before they have a sizeable US fan base. But they've got a lot of catching up to do even on Spurs - let alone the original Sky Four.

Fair enough. I'm going more based on the guys I play with every week, but I'm starting to see a lot more MCFC shirts than I did a few years ago. Either way, not sure our CL run led to a bunch of bandwagon jumpers as the OP suggested.

How many shirt wearers are actual fans over there? With soccer becoming more popular would it be conceivable that they just went to a store and bought the one they liked the best?

I like cricket support Middlesex
I like boxing too have been to numerous British boxers fights
I don't root for the Chicago bulls
I don't have a Hardon for rafael nadal
As I've said before its my opinion no one will change it I just don't understand. I've not once mentioned who better/bigger fans are? This whole argument started from me saying don't like how we go places like America to which I get told their are 'die hards' etc in America maybe so we've got plenty of fans in Scotland, holland and Scandinavia too why not do preseason there and thank our loyal fans from these footballing nations? It's cos they're already fans we're going to America to try and get new fans ones who probably wear Chelsea shirts when they are in town and spurs when we are there. Just my opinion I remember two years ago when we played in America fans being interviewed outside the game wearing a spurs shirt asked a question 'I actually root for man u but today I'm rooting for spurs' sorry if I don't want anyone like that attached to the club again just my opinion.

I was at that game two years ago my dad brother and I drove up from south of washington d.c. to New york to watch it 230 miles for one chance to see Spurs play. I pay extra to fox to make sure i never miss a game and i have loved spurs since i first watched them play 7 years ago. My brother and i got tickets to go to the liverpool game we will stand and sing the whole game. Are we plastic? No.

How many shirt wearers are actual fans over there? With soccer becoming more popular would it be conceivable that they just went to a store and bought the one they liked the best?

To my knowledge in my area there are a lot of Cheat$ki and ManU fans. I know a couple arsenal fans and there is a small hardcore group of us spurs fans about 15-20 strong. Spurs is just not well advertised over here. Espn pushes lots of ManU, Chelsea, Barca and Real Madrid highlights anyone else is 2nd rate.

Also I am saving and planing to come to London this season to see my first game at WHL.

Last edited:

Honestly, I see few enough people wearing Spurs shirts that whenever I see someone wearing one I'll come up and talk to them about it, and I play a few times a week with 100 or so other people out on the field. There are always tons of Arsenal, Chelseas, Uniteds, LFC, but rarely Spurs. Only once had someone just been wearing one, and he had be given it to him by a friend. To this day, I've never seen a Spurs shirt for sale in a shop in the US, so you really have to go out of your way to find one.

Honestly, I see few enough people wearing Spurs shirts that whenever I see someone wearing one I'll come up and talk to them about it, and I play a few times a week with 100 or so other people out on the field. There are always tons of Arsenal, Chelseas, Uniteds, LFC, but rarely Spurs. Only once had someone just been wearing one, and he had be given it to him by a friend. To this day, I've never seen a Spurs shirt for sale in a shop in the US, so you really have to go out of your way to find one.

We've always had brick distribution of our stuff. It's Sky 4 everywhere. Could change with UA. Hopefully.

This is sort of my point? Why not dc united la galaxy red bulls shirts? seems daft bet if I was to say how brick I thought the mls was you'd all get the hump and see the need to stick up for it yet doesn't seem anyone actually supports it

Back