• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

Totally agree. It didnt feel like it at the time but we were on a fantastic run. As you say, we never reached that peak again.

That game also has a lot of similarities with the defeat at City last season. Same period of the season. Big away game, lost 3-2 when we were the best team, stupid mistakes. Our run after that wasnt abysmal like last season though.

Indeed. Not abysmal at all.

In fact, since the Fulham defeat, our run of results (if not performances) has actually been pretty impressive.

v Swansea 2-1 - good away win
v Everton 2-2 - home draw to to the team just below us
v Emirates Marketing Project 3-1 - great home win against the team in 2nd
v Wigan 2-2 - away draw against a team that always seems to churn out surprise results at this stage of the season
v Southampton 1-0 - home win against a team that even outplayed Man Utd at Old Trafford
v Chelsea 2-2 - away draw against the team in 3rd
v Stoke 2-1 - away win against a physical, defensive team that has given us plenty of problems in the past

Four wins, three draws. 15 points out of a possible 21. An average of more than 2 points per game, despite a more than averagely difficult sequence of games - four of which were away from home. That's Champions League qualifying form in any other year.

Unfortunately for us, Arsenal and Chelsea have been in title winning form in that time.

How is is "rubbish" btw? do you really think a better points total but finishing outside the top 4 is better than a 4th place finish?

Our home performances this season have generally been rather brick so i wouldn't be at all surprised if Saudi Sportswashing Machine somehow sneak a draw and we draw too. That's how i see things ending (or Gooners win by a landslide).

I don't think any reasonable person takes much notice of points totals from season to season. This season the league has been far easier, and points are easier to come by for sure. All that matters is how well you stack up to the rivals that season and the table does not lie after the season has been played. Last season we were the 4th best team in England. Hopefully this season we are also the 4th best team in England!

how do you qualify the view that the league has been easier than last season, out of interest?

All through the season I've been reading (here and other places) about the top teams dropping more point than usual. Total bull, 5th place this season will have a record high number of points. Everton and Liverpool in 6th and 7th have both picked up a lot more points than they did last season. What's been lacking is a proper mid-table group of teams.

All through the season I've been reading (here and other places) about the top teams dropping more point than usual. Total bull, 5th place this season will have a record high number of points. Everton and Liverpool in 6th and 7th have both picked up a lot more points than they did last season. What's been lacking is a proper mid-table group of teams.

The gap has opened between the top 7 (?) and the rest of the league. Anyone from 10th downwards could have been relegated. I'd say that's a more competitive league than it is an easier league.

i just wondered how OldBll would qualify it seeings as he pus no stock in points tallies compared to the previous season, just interesting to see what he uses as a yardstick

iist woed hopw OldBllwold qalfy ieeinghe postockpoitstallierooeasotohe next

283117_186652378062534_2345273_n.jpg

how do you qualify the view that the league has been easier than last season, out of interest?

Everyone on this forum keeps telling me that we are weaker this season than last season and yet despite playing poorly, and we have, we are on the verge of beating last season's points total. But for me it is the midtable teams this season that are very poor. I can't remember the last time I saw an English season where there have been so many poor teams, maybe the 90's? English teams showings in the Champion's League competitions are very poor because the top Premiership sides at the moment are very weak and that is why Utd have walked the title despite being a poor, by their standards, Utd team. van Persie may well have won them the title but one player can't hide a team's deficiencies in the Champion's League.

I'd go as far to say that Chelsea, arsenal, Everton and Liverpool are all better than last season. That's all our main challengers improving yet we've still kept pace and a least matched them.

Everyone on this forum keeps telling me that we are weaker this season than last season and yet despite playing poorly, and we have, we are on the verge of beating last season's points total. But for me it is the midtable teams this season that are very poor. I can't remember the last time I saw an English season where there have been so many poor teams, maybe the 90's? English teams showings in the Champion's League competitions are very poor because the top Premiership sides at the moment are very weak and that is why Utd have walked the title despite being a poor, by their standards, Utd team. van Persie may well have won them the title but one player can't hide a team's deficiencies in the Champion's League.

But you don't hold stock in points totals. :lol:

City and Chelsea fudging up in Europe doesn't somehow mean all the teams in the league are weaker.

The gap has opened between the top 7 (?) and the rest of the league. Anyone from 10th downwards could have been relegated. I'd say that's a more competitive league than it is an easier league.

I'd say the opposite. It makes for a more exciting league for many teams but it means that you have a very strong three or four sides and the rest are becoming whipping boys. I should know because we generally have that problem here in Holland too which is why we no longer produce competitive teams for the Champion's League.

i don't think using a cup competition to summarize a leagues quality is in anyway accurate.

That's Even with a new manager and half a new side through injuries, retirements and sales of 3 of our 4 best players. We had quite clearly a weaker 1st team than last season

Back