• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

But who is gonna notice that. Look at the little guy run. Doing his best wandering Robbie Keane/ Wayne Rooney impression. He's like a playground footballer who spends the whole game following in the ball.

Methinks Poch disagrees with you on this, and so do I

It's interesting how our shape changed throughout the game though. First half we saw Eriksen, Bentaleb and Holtby moving quite deep into those full back areas and releasing Rose and Naughton higher up the pitch. Second half we played with a different shape and different approach which suited Townsend, or it did until we lost the base pair of Holtby and Bentaleb. The moment Holtby got moved out of the centre, we looked more disjointed.

You honestly think Poch is going to play him if all he does is follow the ball and not stick to what he wants him to do withih his system?

I dont think he's gonna pick him.
Sure he played him in pre season but what does that mean really?
I think he played him for so long the other day because he's feels (like we all do) that there is a player in their somewhere, but has no idea what to do with him.

I think some fans have this misguided hope that he can become our new Modric.

Modders and Holtby are two very different players. Holtby, who can obviously play a pass or two - witness that assist for JD at Villa - is much more of a terrier than Modric. Look at how he hassles and harries, which MOdric never really did.

No chance, and i do not know any fans who think that.

Nobody thinks Hotlby is a Modric player

Holtby is a high energy player, who gives a 100% (and I can tell you, as an opposition player, you hate that), the fact that he has an ability to create and score goals makes him a very interesting option.

Re positional discipline (which seems to be everyone's stick to beat him with), when we have a system, lets see how he sticks to it .. if he doesn't, the manager won't pick him, if he does, think he will surprise some people.

Nobody thinks Hotlby is a Modric player

Holtby is a high energy player, who gives a 100% (and I can tell you, as an opposition player, you hate that), the fact that he has an ability to create and score goals makes him a very interesting option.

Re positional discipline (which seems to be everyone's stick to beat him with), when we have a system, lets see how he sticks to it .. if he doesn't, the manager won't pick him, if he does, think he will surprise some people.

As you say no one i have met thinks they are alike, i like Holtby and i would have him start against the Spammers.

Does anyone actually know his best position? He has been here for 18 months and i still can't figure out if he is a CM or a CAM. Personally i don't think the 4-2-3-1 we play suits him and he would work better in a 4-3-3 so that we have more protection in midfield. He's too undisciplined to play as part of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 IMO and he isn't creative enough in the final third to play behind the striker.

He was quite disciplined in the first half. In the second half we switched to something closer to a 433 and he didn't look disciplined

He was quite disciplined in the first half. In the second half we switched to something closer to a 433 and he didn't look disciplined

IMO he needs to be in the central of the park where he can chase, tackle and create chances. He also looks quite good to time his runs inside the box, he could/should have scored on Saturday - and that was from a run like that. Out wide he hasnt got the trickery and pace to be effective enough.

If he could just sort out his positional discipline and maybe also rein in his reckless challenges a bit - then we really would have a player on our hands.

If he could just sort out his positional discipline and maybe also rein in his reckless challenges a bit - then we really would have a player on our hands.

I noticed during his time at Fulham on loan that he appeared to be less 'energetic' on the field. He wasn't running around like a dog chasing a ball all the time and mostly kept his position. I don't know if that was because he didn't really give a rats **** or if Magath had instructed him such. Probably the former, but he did have some telling contributions in a lot of games as he was in the right place at the right time.

He's no CM for me though. In front of the two CM's would be the position I'd play him.

Edit: That two footer against Schalke was a shocker. A red in any other match.

I can't see there being any truth in this. Holtby was a key player pre-season and I can't think that he would have played so often if we considered that he did not have a future at the club.

Commentator from the wet spam game claimed Poch wanted Holtby at Southampton and likes him as a player.

I can see it. Absolutely.

If Poch has to trim the first team squad down, then he has to do it by getting rid of players that have some value, that others want but that won't ever be starting 11 calibre for him. Holtby fits that bill. he played well pre-season, no doubt about it, but he is still not a first 11 player. And if we could get 4-5 million for him, then it's a no-brainer for me.

I'm interested to see if Dembele has a role under Poch; for me, unless Poch intends to play him as part of an attacking three in a 4-2-3-1, then I'd have a hard time seeing him in the side. 4-3-3? Nope. He's another one I'd sell for good money while we can get it. And yes, providing the player wants to play for us, I can see Paulinho having a much greater role in the squad this season.

I'm sure he'd love to move Daws on, but Michael won't leave so it's going to prove difficult. My guess is that if he gets Musacchio in, then he will offload Kaboul if he can't offload Daws as he will get money for Kaboul. Chiriches is a tough one, as I believe his is a Poch type of CB but again, if the money is on the table then I suspect he might be the one to go.

I am convinced we will bring in Schneiderlein.

I can see it. Absolutely.

If Poch has to trim the first team squad down, then he has to do it by getting rid of players that have some value, that others want but that won't ever be starting 11 calibre for him. Holtby fits that bill. he played well pre-season, no doubt about it, but he is still not a first 11 player. And if we could get 4-5 million for him, then it's a no-brainer for me.

I'm interested to see if Dembele has a role under Poch; for me, unless Poch intends to play him as part of an attacking three in a 4-2-3-1, then I'd have a hard time seeing him in the side. 4-3-3? Nope. He's another one I'd sell for good money while we can get it. And yes, providing the player wants to play for us, I can see Paulinho having a much greater role in the squad this season.

I'm sure he'd love to move Daws on, but Michael won't leave so it's going to prove difficult. My guess is that if he gets Musacchio in, then he will offload Kaboul if he can't offload Daws as he will get money for Kaboul. Chiriches is a tough one, as I believe his is a Poch type of CB but again, if the money is on the table then I suspect he might be the one to go.

I am convinced we will bring in Schneiderlein.

Holtby is a useful squad player, raises the energy of the team immediately and is still young enough to learn.

Dembele I would let go in a heartbeat, unless you can get the guy a brain transplant, unfortunately he will be one with all the tools and none of the intelligence to execute.

Back