• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

It ain't broke. Don't fix it.
JD has been a complete revelation for me this season. You can bet every single Liverpool defender was pooping themselves about him. He didn't score or go close in that game but in the next game every single Fulham defender will still be pooping themselves.

Updated Spurs Goals & Assists after the 2-1 Liverpool win...

P0106.png

Beckham's five-year stay with the Los Angeles Galaxy comes to an end this weekend and it appears clubs across the world are queuing up to sign the former England captain.

Spurs tried to sign the 37-year-old on loan last year and he ended up training with them during the Major League Soccer off-season.

Beckham has previously said he would not play for another Premier League club other than Manchester United.

But former England team-mate Defoe told Absolute Radio's Rock 'N' Roll Football: "He can come to Spurs if he wants - we'll have him here.

"He's a fantastic player and I think a credit to the game.

"If you talk about someone that's done everything in a game and to still want to play and still have another challenge and still want to achieve something, when you've achieved so much, I think that's a special person.

"He's someone that I look up to, a legend in the game."

Defoe is on the brink of surpassing Beckham's goal tally for England, with both on 17.

"Sorry Becks but I think I'll do it," he said. "One more goal.

"It would be nice, not because of overtaking people, but it's always nice to score goals for your country.

"It's something that I've always wanted to do and then, when you do it, it's the best thing in the world."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/9714280/David-Beckham-would-be-welcome-at-Tottenham-says-Jermain-Defoe.html

I think defoe can turn into his hero ian wright buy actually being better at the end of his career then at the start. Unlike wright defoe was known from a young age. But like wright he shows great instinct and determination, i have a lot of time for defoe and i do not think he will nose dive like a robbie fowler or robbie keane when he loses a bit of pace.

Do not put him in world class category but i think he is only just below, lovely player who works hard behaves well and is always trying to improve his game. Im a fan of his and if some of our other players had put as much effort in to bettering themselves then i think we would have done better over the recent seasons.

This is OT, apologies. Dare I question Statto!!??

Did Verts not get an assist for the Gallas goal against Chelsea?

Not according to the official PL stats, although the BBC match report did credit him with an assist.

At the moment Defoe is on an undroppable run of goalscoring, although I think away to Fulham Ade should start if were going 1 up top. If Defoe has to play, then I think we have to play 4-4-2 as well because there is no chance imo that we will see Bale and Lennon get in such good advanced central positions as they did at home to what is defensively a much more open Liverpool defence (acres of space behind Johnson and Enrique to exploit and get the defence shifting). Moreover neither Dempsey nor Sig would be capable of carrying the creative burden the two wingers would leave in the centre, meaning if Defoe started on his own he would get very scrappy service (although he might still get a goal, we wouldn't be a consistent threat throughout the match) and he doesn't have the guile or physical presence of Adebayor to forcibly create and link up play in higher positions.

Because I just cannot see Adebayor replacing Defoe in the line-up, they must play together with Lennon and Bale starting deeper to create a bank of 4 with Sandro and the Mous. While the defensive ability of Bale is suspect in such a system, Lennon is very capable at such a role, and with Adebayor linking play through the middle they could set up at lot of chances for Defoe and Ade himself on the break. Fulham are a pretty good side, and there is no way we'll have things our own way for large portions of the game, so tactics akin to those employed at home to Arsenal when we came 4th are necessary.

Before anyone calls me a hater, I think Defoe has to be one of the first names on the team sheet at home. I just think he needs better support with someone positioned closer to him away from home against decent sides like Fulham as otherwise he will get totally isolated when the home team gets their tail up, leaving us with no outball.

Not according to the official PL stats, although the BBC match report did credit him with an assist.

How come Vertonghen still credited with 1 league goal ? The Dubious Goal Committee has ruled Vertonghen's goal against ManU as own goal by the ManU player. Coincidentally, Vertonghen has been poor since that announcement. Wonder if it affected his confidence.

When Ade returns - he plays instead of Dempsey. Simple. Its not even me being a hater of Dempsey but I just think Ade is a much better player who creates and also works hard (when in the mood) and Defoe is undroppable. Ade behind Defoe will work.

not a hater but don't like how we play with defoe alone up front. with bale and lennon as his wingmen, i'd expect him to get more goals. teams should be fearing us except that with all the speed and pace, we don't have a clinical striker at the end of all those opportunities.

no problems with defoe + ade like season ago. whatever formation, in AVB i trust.

Last edited:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/30/jermain-defoe-tottenham-interview

Jermain Defoe: 'Every day I look at my goal chart. It's a good feeling'
Inspired by Tottenham's history, the striker lives for scoring goals and is thriving under André Villas-Boas's new regime

The craving to score goals, which has burned inside Jermain Defoe since he was a kid kicking a ball around the streets of east London telling himself to "practise, practise, practise", shows no sign of abating. There is something of that determined child still in him today, and it will stare him straight in the face when the 30-year-old wakes up on Saturday morning, walks into the gym he has at home, and takes a look in the mirror. There, right in front of him, is a list of the top 10 goalscorers in Tottenham Hotspur's history. He wrote it himself, starting with Jimmy Greaves's 266 at the top. He stuck it to his mirror so he can get a good, regular reminder of it. He gleefully amends the names and numbers where appropriate as his own goal collection grows.

At the beginning of November, after plundering a hat-trick against NK Maribor in the Europa League, Defoe went home and grabbed a pen. Those goals had taken him up a position on the goalscoring charts, ahead of Teddy Sheringham, on 128. "I went in there and crossed out Teddy's name and put mine in," he says, chuckling at what some might perceive as a slightly embarrassing confession. But at the same time, there is an earnest side to it all. "It's quite sad really ... But I think it helps my focus," he explains. "I know it's about the team and this is a personal thing, but at the end of the day if I am scoring goals it is helping the team. Having that there, when I get up in the morning I go in and have a look at it and that's a good feeling."

Defoe is thoroughly enjoying his football at the moment. He has already exceeded one of his targets – he aims for 10 goals before Christmas as a marker, but has 12 – and is grateful for the absolute faith of Tottenham's new coach, André Villas-Boas. Defoe may be seen as one of 'Arry's boys but he could hardly sound more positive about André's ways. The jury may be out for some but Defoe speaks with enough genuine fondness and enthusiasm to suggest that the players are won over. It is the little things that seem to be making a big difference.

"Away from football, as a person, he is a top guy, a really nice guy. After every session he will come into the changing room or treatment room and go to every player to see if you are OK. 'How do you feel? How's your legs?' General chit chat. He will do it with every player, every day," he explains. "Even when I was away with England he will send me a message sometimes – 'Good luck. How's the game?' Stuff like that. When you have got a manager like that you want to play for him and do well."

For Defoe, first impressions have had a lasting impact. Villas-Boas was unequivocal about his plans for Defoe from day one. "In pre-season obviously there was a lot of speculation about me and whether I was going to stay or leave, and I had a meeting with him and he said: 'I want you to stay. Last season you should have played a lot more than you did. I was watching the games, the goals you scored. A player of your quality, I need you at the club.' For me that was such a big thing.

"It's always difficult for a manager coming into such a big club," Defoe continues. "Obviously it's difficult for André because he was at Chelsea and things weren't great there. He's come to Tottenham and everybody's looking at him. Even before the season started a lot of people were doubting him, which was harsh. You've got to give everybody an opportunity. What he has done so far has been brilliant. All the lads love him. He's got great ideas. He's really organised."

Defoe feels that Tottenham have made a statement about life under the new regime in the past week. A convincing three points against West Ham (helped along by a couple of his goals against his former club) followed by victory against Liverpool has had a transformative effect. Defoe describes it as "massive".

Football has been his anchor during a period in which he has had to deal with trauma in his personal life. Over the summer his father, Jimmy, died from throat cancer, and his cousin, Hannah, was killed in a freak accident while on holiday. He remains deeply affected by the death of his half-brother, Gavin, who was attacked in the street in 2009 and never recovered from a blow to the head. "It's something you think of all the time, to be honest, when you're on your own," he muses. "The only time you don't think of stuff and you feel at peace is when you're playing. When you're on the pitch, you're in a different world."

It helps to do what he can to help kids tempted by the wrong side of the tracks. This week Defoe spent an afternoon chatting to young people who were trying to stay out of trouble, or piece their life back together, with the help of the Prince's Trust. He recounted the story of his old friend Kacey Ashman, a boy with spectacular footballing promise with whom Defoe once reckoned he could conquer the world.

"It was always me and Kacey," Defoe recalls. "We played for Newham district together and then we played for Charlton. He went to prison and when he came out, because he was so special, one of the coaches moved Kacey into his house in south London and tried to get him away from the streets, and it just didn't work. I would love to have seen what he would have done. I reckon he would have been playing in the Premier League. He would have played for England. He was brilliant. Brilliant …" When Jermain was making a name for himself as a teenager at West Ham, Kacey was sentenced to eight years in a young offenders' institute for burglary and GBH.

Defoe is acutely aware of how his life might have turned out without the crucial factors that kept him moving in the right direction. His own drive and good sense pushed him (the tattoo on his arm peeping out underneath his T-shirt reads "Hard work + Dedication = Success"). The other unstoppable influence was his mother, Sandra. Defoe remembers how she would firmly tell him to go to bed at 9pm if he had football the next day. "I'd look out of my bedroom window and see friends of mine kissing some girl. I'd say… 'Can't I go out for half an hour?' She said: 'One day you will thank me.' I thank her every day."

Sandra met Jermain's father a long time before he was born. Their courtship is the stuff of family legend. "My dad always used to wait for her outside school and she used to walk straight past him, playing hard to get," he says warmly. "They were together for about 10 years. And then, as it happens with relationships, they split up. It was just me and my mum at that time. My dad wasn't there as much when I was younger. And then as I got older and I started playing football, playing for West Ham, I spent more time with him. It wasn't the best relationship, if I'm honest. I was always closer to my mum."

The balance changed when his father was diagnosed with cancer. "You get together and you just try to bury everything," Defoe explains. "I thought: 'At the end of the day, that's my dad and I want to be there for him.' I was with him every day. I was finishing training and just going to the hospital, being with him. When I was away with England in the summer, Roy Hodgson said to me: 'You should be with your dad. It's important. Get a car. Just make sure you're back for the meetings.' That time was great. It keeps me going, remembering the good times."

Defoe has a remarkable way of maintaining a positive spirit despite the sadness he has had to absorb. Football has helped him in some respects, giving him a focus to keep doing what he loves with the maximum amount of dedication and appreciation.

He is thinking of doing his coaching badges soon, as he wants to be ready to continue to inspire more young people beyond his playing days. He is a big believer in having someone to look up to, to give you encouragement. For him, it was Ian Wright, and he still seems a little starry-eyed when he recounts how he signed for West Ham at the age of 16, and Wright took the time to stay behind after training to practise drills with him, and pass on tips designed to hone a marksman's eye and develop his cunning. "I still watch Wrighty's videos sometimes," he adds.

They are traits he puts into good use today. Defoe bucks the trend in modern football as a little lone ranger. Most teams prefer a bigger physical presence to lead their line, but all five feet and five and a half inches of Defoe is trusted to head Tottenham's attack. "The key for me is movement," he says. "When the ball comes into the box, or when the wide players get it, that's where I have to be clever and make my runs. That's where I come alive."

As ever, he will be razor sharp, ready to dart and pounce at just the right time, come kick-off against Fulham at Craven Cottageon Saturday, hoping for another goal to add to his wall chart.

Like I said before, I'm really warming to the guy. Mainly because he keeps shrugging off personal tragedies that would have felled players with weaker mentalities, and because he's spent the last three years dedicated to improving himself. He's bulked up considerably when you consider how lightweight he used to be, he helps out in defense a lot more and he's passing a lot more than he used to, though admittedly that still isn't much.

Plus it seems like he genuinely cares about the club, which always helps. Carry on, JD, carry on.

Back