• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*Official Book Thread*

Been going through Asimov's Foundation books. Marvellous stuff. Then I read Roland Emmerich has bought the movie rights. :(

Reading a book by Guy Sajer called The forgotten soldier. Think it's from the 60's and it's a diary of a German soldier on the east front during WW2.

I don't read many books but when I do I want to read real stories, preferably descriptive stuff about men going through harsh times. This one fits the bill. It sheds a different light on the war, different from the books I've read about the concentration camps.

WW2 intrigues me and touches me deeply on so many levels. It wasn't that long ago and my grandfather still can tell me stories from it. I dread the day I visit Auschwitz, I'll probably crumble and cry like a baby once I get there. Any of you been?

Ah man, I had this thread on the old board.....

But anyway....

Currently reading Coming up for Air by George Orwell, enjoying at the moment, a book which brings up many reminiscent kind of feelings.

I never thought I'd hear that book mentioned on this site. I loved it, nothing happens at all but I still found it a page turner. Have you read Down and Out in Paris and London? Those are my two Orwell favourites.

Finished the whole Song of Fire and Ice series last year. Had a little break as it wasn't easy to set my mind to reading something else, but I've got a nice stack of books lined up as play.com had loads of titles at ?ú5 or less.

Not too big on the classics, so will be delving into some scifi by Isaac Asimov. Fun fact: The only author to be published in every category in the Dewey decimal system in addition to being a prolific fiction writer.

Just started Game of Thrones and havent been able to put it down. Almost every waking moment when im not at work, I NEED to read this book. It's fudging amazing. are the rest of them this good?

Reading a book by Guy Sajer called The forgotten soldier. Think it's from the 60's and it's a diary of a German soldier on the east front during WW2.

I don't read many books but when I do I want to read real stories, preferably descriptive stuff about men going through harsh times. This one fits the bill. It sheds a different light on the war, different from the books I've read about the concentration camps.

WW2 intrigues me and touches me deeply on so many levels. It wasn't that long ago and my grandfather still can tell me stories from it. I dread the day I visit Auschwitz, I'll probably crumble and cry like a baby once I get there. Any of you been?

Auschwitz is a place most people should go in my opinion. Strange place and difficult to explain. Make sure you go to the Birkenau camp as well when you go.

Have you read 'One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich'? Sounds like something you might enjoy although it wasn't claimed to be directly a true story.

Just started Game of Thrones and havent been able to put it down. Almost every waking moment when im not at work, I NEED to read this book. It's fudging amazing. are the rest of them this good?

IMO the rest of them are even better.

Auschwitz is a place most people should go in my opinion. Strange place and difficult to explain. Make sure you go to the Birkenau camp as well when you go.

Have you read 'One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich'? Sounds like something you might enjoy although it wasn't claimed to be directly a true story.

Haven't read, but thanks for the tip, I'll add it to my what to read list.

Reading Jack Reacher's latest adventure - A wanted man. Legend! Still peeved about Lee Child allowing you know who to play the main man. He sold out to hollywood, and
in return, Child has a cameo playing a desk sergeant in the film.

Reading Jack Reacher's latest adventure - A wanted man. Legend! Still peeved about Lee Child allowing you know who to play the main man. He sold out to hollywood, and
in return, Child has a cameo playing a desk sergeant in the film.

I just finished that too, then went back on my Kindle and started again with Killing Floor.

I rarely read but borrowed a book off a mate today after he recommended it. The book is about a girl living with death in Germany in 1939, anyone read it before?

Back