• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T U21 European Championship

Seriously, is anyone actually watching Pearce's interview? People were genuinely wanting him to be England manager....

I've given up hoping the F.A would boot Pearce out, they've had ample opportunity in the past as the blokes useless but his position never seems to be in question. The guys got a job for life. ](*,)

I've given up hoping the F.A would boot Pearce out, they've had ample opportunity in the past as the blokes useless but his position never seems to be in question. The guys got a job for life. ](*,)

Contract about to end.... can't see it being renewed. He had a role with the Seniors when Capello was in charge. I don't think that's been the case since Hodgson took over.

When you're coaching a youth team it's not about how many games you win. You need coaches who care more about developing players than boosting their CV in hope of getting a managerial position at a club. This is why I don't understand why the FA targets well known players for coaching positions with the various national teams.

I don't think Pearce is doing it with a view to getting a job at club level. I can see him becoming a career international manager with developing nations in Africa, Asia, Middle East.... get brought in based on his profile as an ex player and international experience with the U21s. Get paid well, get sacked relatively quickly, blame unprofessionalism of the federation and move on to the next one.

At that level I think it is a good thing to have an ex player with a profile as that gives some of the young players someone to look up to. More important is that he has a team of great coaches who apply a consistent system across all of the age groups.

Look at who the FA are targeting for a pro license: Phil Neville and Scott Parker. Carragher too I'm sure. Southgate has some kind of role. To me they look like limited players who got far through hard work. Hire proven youth coaches instead and let these guys get some experience first. At least don't make it a requirement to have won England caps. I'm also curious as to why the sponsors seem happy about having a few poster boys and an underperforming team.

Look at who the FA are targeting for a pro license: Phil Neville and Scott Parker. Carragher too I'm sure. Southgate has some kind of role. To me they look like limited players who got far through hard work. Hire proven youth coaches instead and let these guys get some experience first. At least don't make it a requirement to have won England caps. I'm also curious as to why the sponsors seem happy about having a few poster boys and an underperforming team.

Southgate left the FA last year as part of the changes already being made - replaced by Dan Ashworth from West Brom in a technical director/development type role. Not a famous ex player nor a big name foreigner.

The pro licence thing is part of a wider programme to have more coaches qualifying, as in hundreds more, not targeting the ex pros you mention to work with the England teams. The ex player have to go through the same system as everyone else, if they're already at that level they will have spent time on the lower level courses - I know people who's sons have previously been to training sessions and found themselves being coached by the likes of Poyet and Zola when they were taking the courses.

All of these ex players are going to need the qualifications to work at club level as its a consideration for the new academy rating system.

That's not the FA targeting anyone based on caps.

Last edited:
Caulker was poor yesterday. There is something loose about him, even how he moves, like he has no control over his body. Not convincing and strong at all

Quote of the day (or yesterday) from ex-Middlesbrough striker Jan Aage Fjortoft:

"One team with players who want to play in England against players who play in England and want to go on holiday."

Norway's u21s actually are pretty decent. Saw them a few months ago against Holland and that 4-1 scoreline was very flattering to Holland.

Not surprised by the Norwegian win as there are better footballers in their team than in Pearce's lot.

watching spain play they make a lot of passes but a lot of them are not very good and they also lose the ball a fair bit to. Good pressing by the germans tonight. Obviously we need to improve our passing but im not buying that the Spainish are so great.

I thought Isco looked very good whereas Tello looked pretty poor

I was surprised to see Muniain is 20, for some reason I thought he was a lot older

Talking of Athletic Bilbao... what happened with Llorente in the end, we were trying to buy him last summer but he stayed with Bilbao I think? Why was he affordable, why did he not move, whagwan?

I thought Isco looked very good whereas Tello looked pretty poor

I was surprised to see Muniain is 20, for some reason I thought he was a lot older

Talking of Athletic Bilbao... what happened with Llorente in the end, we were trying to buy him last summer but he stayed with Bilbao I think? Why was he affordable, why did he not move, whagwan?

Juventus signed him on the bosman in January. He played 26 games last season scoring 4 goals. Doubt he really cared though considering he wanted to leave all season and I don't know how many he actually started.

Dear me, that is the threat of letting your star man wind his contract down to nothing - you get zero quid and zero performances for a year.

Another reason to like Levy and his 4+2 deals

Back