• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Roy Keane and Martin O'Neill new Republic of Ireland management duo

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Martin O'Neill has agreed to become the new head coach of the Republic of Ireland and Roy Keane his assistant.

The FAI has confirmed talks are at an "advanced stage", with an official announcement of the appointment expected before the duo appear on ITV's live coverage on Tuesday night of Manchester United's Champions League game with Real Sociedad.

O'Neill will succeed Giovanni Trapattoni, who stepped down in September when Ireland’s failure to qualify for next summer’s World Cup in Brazil was confirmed.

He gets on well with the former Manchester United and Ireland captain and the prospect is a mouth-watering one: O’Neill’s analytical mind and motivational skills combined with the charisma and winning mentality of one of Ireland’s greatest players.

It is expected the pair will be unveiled in Dublin later this week, with Ireland scheduled to play a friendly match against Latvia on November 15.

O'Neill, 61, was the first choice of the FAI, despite speculation they wanted to bring Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy back for a second spell as manager, and they worked hard to persuade O’Neill to turn his back on club football.

O’Neill had been taking his time over a decision as he was initially reluctant to consider international management because he wanted to prove Sunderland were wrong to sack him after just 18 months by taking another club job, but agreement has now been reached for him to take his first role in international management.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/republic-of-ireland/10427155/Roy-Keane-and-Martin-ONeill-agree-to-become-Republic-of-Ireland-management-duo.html

Not sure it will work with Keane as a number two, or for that matter work with him full stop with Eire. Too many enemies within the FAI, doesn't have the right temperament for management or coaching to my mind and the lack of overall quality in the Irish set up will only frustrate him.

Hope I am wrong, absolutely world class player and captain just don't think he is cut out for management in any aspect.

Not sure it will work with Keane as a number two, or for that matter work with him full stop with Eire. Too many enemies within the FAI, doesn't have the right temperament for management or coaching to my mind and the lack of overall quality in the Irish set up will only frustrate him.

Hope I am wrong, absolutely world class player and captain just don't think he is cut out for management in any aspect.

Cén fáth nach bhfuil gach ceann de do téacs i nGaeilge?

Cén fáth nach bhfuil gach ceann de do téacs i nGaeilge?

mar is é seo ar láithreán gréasáin Béarla agus nach bhfuil mo gaeilge ró-láidir

Bhí sé níos éasca ná mar a scríobh i bPoblacht na hÉireann chomh maith!

;)

Last edited:
Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste ná Béarla cliste, mar a deirtear.

It'll be interesting to see how these two fare as a team.

Hats off lads, I can barely string a pidgin sentence together for old times sake...:( Conas a dearfha "wasted education"?

Anyway, really weird adding Keane in there - did not see that coming. I don't really understand why you'd want 2 motivational/emotional types running the show - surely you'd want one to be the motivator and the other to be the coach/training pitch guy. I dunno, maybe Keane is better on the technical stuff than I realise? Also, maybe he has a good understanding of all the Irish players in England and will do the scouting function.

Hats off lads, I can barely string a pidgin sentence together for old times sake...:( Conas a dearfha "wasted education"?

Anyway, really weird adding Keane in there - did not see that coming. I don't really understand why you'd want 2 motivational/emotional types running the show - surely you'd want one to be the motivator and the other to be the coach/training pitch guy. I dunno, maybe Keane is better on the technical stuff than I realise? Also, maybe he has a good understanding of all the Irish players in England and will do the scouting function.

Yeah I'm not sure why Keane is in there either. Weird'ish. I guess he knows the lay of the land, so to speak.

Must admit that I would have been happy with either or them, but I'm actually a little concerned about having both of them on-board. Keane is too high profile within the Irish media to be just a normal "assistant"... the potential for a clash of egos is high (however much both of them might want it to work and however good their intentions at the outset).

I've always been on the pro-Keano side of the fence, but there are Irish football fans who will never forgive him for Saipan. Just today I was talking to a guy who honestly believed Ireland had a genuine shot at winning the world cup in '02 had Keane not left. I know, I know... I've been known to wear rose-tinted specs where Irish football is concerned, and even I think that's absurd. But the point is that there's plenty of people who still bear a substantial grudge (and some of them work in the FAI and the Irish media).

All the same, I'm excited about the appointments. I think we have the talent to regularly qualify for the big tournaments... and once in a while get out of the group stages (I remember us beating Romania on penalties to get to the quarter finals in 1990, so I know it's possible). But Trapattoni appeared to have completely lost the trust of the players and the public after the diabolical performances in the Euros. It was a strong group, and I had no expectations of qualification - but those were three of the worst performances I've ever seen from Ireland, and Trap's team selections, tactics and public statements had a lot to do with that fact. I thought he should have gone right after the Euros. And if he had done, I think a competent manager could have held Sweden to a draw at home and beat Austria twice... results which would have got us a play-off spot. O'Neill has certainly proven himself to be a competent manager, and if the relationship with Keane works well, this could be a master-stroke by the FAI.

Euro 2016 here we come! :)

I think it's silly having someone as controlling as Keane as your assistant. He's been known to fall out with many down the years and might end up trying to take control if he dislikes the way Martin O'Neil handles certain things. That will just lead to the Irish players thinking well which one do we listen too?!

So Ireland will continue to underachieve for the foreseeable future then? Two fairly horrible managers.

Isn't Martin O'Neill from Northern Ireland? How do the Republic fans feel about that? (I'm assuming he isn't Catholic)

Isn't Martin O'Neill from Northern Ireland? How do the Republic fans feel about that? (I'm assuming he isn't Catholic)

the name O'Neill is quite an historic one in Ireland and as catholic as you get. For instance Hugh O'Neill was one of the last Gaelic chieftains that fought the english dring the tudor conquest of Ireland. He was among a number of chieftains that fled Ireland during the flight of the earls.

As for Martin being from the north (as we call it here) no one cares sure he's from free Derry ;-)

I suspect the dual appointment is to rehabilitate Keane before him becoming manager. MON never seems to stay in one place for long and he has become more emotional as he has got older, so Keane would already be in place when he leaves. I suspect appointing Keane would have been too controversial at this time. It also means that if Keane remains his volatile self and self-destructs then it's only from the assistant position, but if he can work with MON it could be a good indicator of whether he is suitable for the top job.

Keane seems like a typical thick pundit. Bad news for us - since both are very capable of buying our crap players.

Lets hope Bruce keeps his job.

I'm not sure most people in R. of Ireland could tell you whether MON is Catholic or Protestant. Simply a non-issue. One can perhaps guess based on the fact he wants the Ireland job, but I haven't seen it mentioned or written about a single time during the recruitment process.

The reason he's a good fit for Ireland is that our current squad is very similar to the second-raters O'Neill has always been good at getting the best from. The debate here has been about whether Ireland should try to play good football under a technical coach, or, admit we're pants and take a pragmatist like O'Neill who can organise well and give great motivational team-talks. Most people, and the FAI, decided we're not Roma and trying to pretend we are would be silly and futile.

Keane seems like a typical thick pundit. Bad news for us - since both are very capable of buying our crap players.

Lets hope Bruce keeps his job.

That is one thing Keane is not. I don't think there is a more truthful pundit out there and he generally calls it as it is even if that ruffles a few feathers. I find him quite entertaining to be honest, especially when he scares the **** out of the other 'thick pundits' :)

Jts1882 has an interesting slant on the appointment and this is similar to what I was thinking except that Keane's rehabilitation is to introduce him back into the club manager circuit and MON will stay on in what is effectively a part time gig.

That is one thing Keane is not. I don't think there is a more truthful pundit out there and he generally calls it as it is even if that ruffles a few feathers. I find him quite entertaining to be honest, especially when he scares the **** out of the other 'thick pundits' :)

Jts1882 has an interesting slant on the appointment and this is similar to what I was thinking except that Keane's rehabilitation is to introduce him back into the club manager circuit and MON will stay on in what is effectively a part time gig.

Reall, I have not heard him say anything insightful or different from the normal thick British pundits . He might have an opnion on a foul/sending off or a disallowed goal, but nothing about players or tactics.

Signed a lot of mediocre players for Sunderland and Ipswich and was rightly sacked.

Back