• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T - Manchester Utd are running away with the title. Are they better than we think?

Re: O/T - Manchester Utd are running away with the title. Are they better than we thi

And they've never fallen out of the top 3 since early 90s I believe. Staggering when you consider they are the only club to have done that.

I don't think they're anywhere near as good as they used to be, but they have a world class striker who's probably the best striker they've had since Cantona, a team full of winners with a never say die attitude even if they aren't that great technically and last but not least, the greatest manager of all time who wants blood after last season.

Better than van Nistelrooy?

Re: O/T - Manchester Utd are running away with the title. Are they better than we thi

Better than van Nistelrooy?

Van Nistelrooy was lethal in front of goal, but Van Persie's overall play is far better IMO. There is no doubt about it, he has given that squad a lift.

Van Nistelrooy was lethal in front of goal, but Van Persie's overall play is far better IMO. There is no doubt about it, he has given that squad a lift.

What I was querying was whether that you thought that Cantona and Van Persie are the best two forwards to play for United in the last 20 years?

RvP is excellent, one of the best in the world right now, but van Nistelrooy, he is another level in my opinion, i'd say he was lethal from anywhere

What I was querying was whether that you thought that Cantona and Van Persie are the best two forwards to play for United in the last 20 years?

I think Cantona for an 18 month period was the best forward in the world. RVP is bloody good too. Van Horse Face had service delivered to him on a plate, and put his chances away, but the other two in my opinion score(d) more goals from 'nothing' positions. It's all opinions though ;)

Ryan Giggs has signed a new one-year deal

RvP is excellent, one of the best in the world right now, but van Nistelrooy, he is another level in my opinion, i'd say he was lethal from anywhere

Didn't van Nistelrooy score approximately one goal from outside the box for United during his entire time there? Can't see how he was lethal from anywhere. Fantastic finisher though, and top class movement to get into those scoring positions. Perhaps comparable to Falcao in several aspects? Although Falcao does score some from outside the box too.

i meant by that that he scored all types of goals, he was more than just a poacher, he had such awareness, pace and power that he was always dangerous

Manure is not better than we think

- They do get better results that you would expect
- As someone mentioned, SAF has mastered the art of killing the sides in bottom 14 or so sides in table (which is what wins the league)
- This generation of SAF side, is more workhorse based, not very exciting and hence why people see them as a lot worse that previous Manure squads
- The changes in the other big sides have led to Manure having an easier time this season

The negatives

- RVP has been a huge impact (the difference imo between Manure and rest, including us)
- Probably one of the poorest technically gifted Manure sides
- It shows up in Europe, last year was a disaster, this year they will bow out against Real, and even if they pull a trick out of the hat, they won't progress much further

City is a much better squad, the difference is Manure has built a system and a club, City has mercenaries and a project.

Manure is not better than we think

- They do get better results that you would expect
- As someone mentioned, SAF has mastered the art of killing the sides in bottom 14 or so sides in table (which is what wins the league)
- This generation of SAF side, is more workhorse based, not very exciting and hence why people see them as a lot worse that previous Manure squads
- The changes in the other big sides have led to Manure having an easier time this season

The negatives

- RVP has been a huge impact (the difference imo between Manure and rest, including us)
- Probably one of the poorest technically gifted Manure sides
- It shows up in Europe, last year was a disaster, this year they will bow out against Real, and even if they pull a trick out of the hat, they won't progress much further

City is a much better squad, the difference is Manure has built a system and a club, City has mercenaries and a project.

Rvp having a huge impact for them isn't a negative is a positive. It would be like saying Bale performing well is a negative for us.

Real are one of the top clubs in the world. Being beaten by them isn't really a disaster.

Last edited:

Rvp having a huge impact for them isn't a negative it's a positive. It would be like saying Bale performing well is a negative for us.

Real are one of the top clubs in the world. Being beaten by them isn't really a disaster.

my mistake

The league has gone downhill. United are winning by default as city, arsenal and chelsea have imploded.
I mean it looks like we might be in with a shout of getting 2nd by chugging along being professional.
That's how bad it is.

All of the above could be true or not but the top and bottom of it is the manager has put United where they are. Just like our manager has put us where we are.

If you have a winner in charge you tend to win things. They make the right decisions. Compare to Jol and Redknapp making the wrong ones.

The league has gone downhill. United are winning by default as city, arsenal and chelsea have imploded.
I mean it looks like we might be in with a shout of getting 2nd by chugging along being professional.
That's how bad it is.

I think this has some truth to it although Man Utd have a very good squad.

Aside from making some excellent signings over summer, Utd have brought on their own players as well. For example Evans has actually looked like a top centre back this season, in the past he has been embarrassingly brick.

All of the above could be true or not but the top and bottom of it is the manager has put United where they are. Just like our manager has put us where we are.

If you have a winner in charge you tend to win things. They make the right decisions. Compare to Jol and Redknapp making the wrong ones.

Ferguson has been at Man Utd for longer than I've been alive, although he is arguably the biggest contributor to their success, his presence hasn't caused the gulf in class between Utd and everyone else this season.

Ferguson has been at Man Utd for longer than I've been alive, although he is arguably the biggest contributor to their success, his presence hasn't caused the gulf in class between Utd and everyone else this season.

His decisions have. Mancini tried to get another job recently, Benitez is temporary and Wenger ain't won nuffink since French players stopped being great

His decisions have. Mancini tried to get another job recently, Benitez is temporary and Wenger ain't won nuffink since French players stopped being great

I meant nothing has changed with Fergie this season. Like you've said, the managers of other teams have had difficulties, but he has been the same old Ferguson. Yes, this consistency is laudable in itself and marks him out against all other managers, but we've known that for years.

(Wenger on the other hand strays further from sanity by the week).

I don't think they are much better player for player.

Their team functions brilliantly as a unit though, they play well in almost any phase of play and in almost any game situation that comes up. City, Chelsea, ourselves and Arsenal are not as versatile in that respect. They have a lot of options in their squad, options that can change their approach if need be. I also think they are less reliant on individuals. Yes, van Persie scores a lot of their goals, but he's their main striker (furthest forward) and they are the best team in the league, of course he will score a lot of goals.

Some examples:

-United have to sit back and defend, no problems. They can do that very well. If City have to do that they seem to struggle to soak up pressure against big sides. Would they have gotten away with a point from Bernabeu?

-United have to get a goal against a team that parks the bus, no problem. They can do that very well. If we have to do that we struggle much more, we don't create as many big chances, we don't get as many players into the box etc.

United have to deal with a tall, strong, long ball team, no problem. They have players who can match up to that and take the fight Arsenal have to do the same and they look fragile.

The rest of the top teams, ourselves included, kind of rely on getting games on track, getting games into situations that suit us. United can deal with almost anything.

Perfect analysis.

Utd are better than the sum of their parts and have a winning ethos that other clubs just don't have to the same degree. They are ruthless when it comes to cleaning the carcass of an opponent. The weaker the opponent the more they go for the jugular. They will not settle when they see that their opponent is beaten.

When you think of it, most games are decided by just a few moments of brilliance or ineptitude. The rest of the time it is training ground stuff repeated ad infinitum. So in 90mins they have just a few moments more than their opponents. Some of it is natural talent, but I believe they win most matches because because of self belief (and....er... Howard Webb).

Back