• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Manager Sack Watch

We finished 4th, that makes us a top 4 four side, doesn't it? We've only failed to finish top 4 once in the last 3 seasons, when we finished 5th.

We have finished 4th twice in the PL history (or at least since the CL became the financial monster it is)

We are by no means an established Top 4 side much like Arsenal or Chelsea for example - we're a Top 6 side who have been pushing in the Top 5 over the last 5-6 years

You make it sound AVB has taken over an established Top 4 side and regular CL participant (at least that is how I read it - if not, I stand corrected)

Last edited:
The previous manager in his 3 full seasons achieved 4th, 5th, 4th. The 5th coming along side a good run in the CL. That's where we were when AVB took over. That's where we need to stay at the very least.
He's been backed with plenty of cash so it's all in his hands.

The previous manager in his 3 full seasons achieved 4th, 5th, 4th. The 5th coming along side a good run in the CL. That's where we were when AVB took over. That's where we need to stay at the very least.

What was the net spend this summer?

How much have Chelsea spent since finishing below us last season?

Who has been backed with more cash? AVB or DiMatteo?

Since you brought up cash, how much have City spent since that first season we got 4th under Harry Redknapp?

That's a funny way of looking at it. Our net spend this summer was well in the black and he didn't get any of his first choices (Willian, Moutinho etc.) and the players that he did get were handed to him without any time to integrate and in Dempsey's case, without any preseason... Really well backed hey.

I hardly think that he's been backed with plenty of cash. We've brought in players in our typical £7m - £15m bracket but also not been able/willing to buy players in the £20m+ bracket, offloaded a bunch of players, changed managers a lot later in the close season that we should have done and are in the process of changing the formation and way we play. This season should therefore be viewed as something of a transitional year - if AVB does manage to get top 4 then he'll have done extremely well; 5th I think should be the realistic expecation. 6th or lower would be disappointing given we have more depth in our squad than Saudi Sportswashing Machine and have a stronger team/squad than Liverpool, who are also undergoing similar changes in style/tactics

Not this old chesnut about Levy not backing his managers once again. :rolleyes:

The quote was "He's been backed with plenty of cash so it's all in his hands".

I think it's fair to argue the case that he hasn't given the net spend.

Forgive me for going over old ground again, but we spent less than £20m following a season where we finished 4th and spent £5m last season including nothing in January despite being title contenders at the time. Don't know how people can claim Redknapp was backed in the last two seasons. Granted, Levy backed him during his first two seasons.

Not this old chesnut about Levy not backing his managers once again. :rolleyes:

Not in the slightest, it was a counter arguement to AVB being backed with plenty of cash. Fact is, Dan is a gambler and getting his transfer thrill takes precendent over anything else. Doesn't mean that he isn't backing his manager, just that he's a fudging liability in the transfer window and we need a DoF to act as a buffer.

Forgive me for going over old ground again, but we spent less than £20m following a season where we finished 4th and spent £5m last season including nothing in January despite being title contenders at the time. Don't know how people can claim Redknapp was backed in the last two seasons. Granted, Levy backed him during his first two seasons.

Who has claimed that Redknapp was backed financially in the last two seasons?

Wycombe Wanderers have sacked manager Gary Waddock after the club suffered their third successive defeat.

League One Colchester United have sacked manager John Ward after just over two years in charge.

The U's have yet to win in nine league and cup games this season and currently lie 22nd in the table.

With Barca now 11 points clear of Real, if Real don't win tomorrow, is Mourinho then on sack watch??8-[

I hope not, at this moment in time I could only see him going to one EPL club, Chelsea.

Fergie leaves when he wants
Wenger leaves when he wants
Mancini just won the league

I hope not, at this moment in time I could only see him going to one EPL club, Chelsea.

Fergie leaves when he wants
Wenger leaves when he wants
Mancini just won the league

Chelsea are waiting for Guardiola

Back