• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Football writers (who do they support?)

Alan Tyers is a big Hibs fan. Mentioned it several times in MBM reports. He's also mentioned that there are several Spurs fans amongst the Telegraph writing staff. Not so much upstairs, which means the scribblers need to curb their enthusiasm.

Martin Samuel had a piece April 30 about the leanings of writers and conspiracy theories in the game. Said that one of the nine chief football writers at national papers, three were Liverpool fans and while the others backed Spurs, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Arsenal and ManU. No names, good piece. Danny Fulbrook, the Daily Star's chief writer, died in June. He was a Fulham fan. And it doesn't mention that Daniel Taylor of The Guardian is a Nottingham Forest fan. But he is and treasures a 1979 scarf signed by Twevuh Fwancis.

David Lacey takes minutes, pours tea at the monthly meetings of the Arsenal Ladies Auxiliary.

Despite his Scottish leanings, once saw mention that Patrick Barclay holds Arsenal seasons seats.

Must say Henry Winter has rarely written a negative thing about Spurs. Seems to have some affection for a club punching above its weight. Paul Hayward certainly takes a more favourable tilt towards Spurs in many articles I've read.

Last edited:
And Brian Glanville is a gooner. Shared a media bus with him at Mexico '86. Kept us all entertained with great stories, but tinkled me off.

As I said on another thread Henry Winter wrote in an article once that his most prized possession in life is a Man Utd '99 CL Winners t-shirt!

Interviewer: I'm sure the fans all agree there! As for you, which team do you support? How do you keep your personal feelings separate from your work?

Henry Winter: I support England, probably the only team where heart occasionally rules head.

Interviewer: Neutral on the club teams front?

Henry Winter: yes, but obviously I'm more biased towards those who play good football, Barcelona, ManU etc.

Am finding some great articles in my quest to uncover the truth!

This is a great one:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/mike-walters-meets-roy-mcdonough-1267370

Mike Walters meets Britain's dirtiest footballer, Roy McDonough, who was once sent off for planting a kung-fu kick into Tony Pulis's ribs

Now 53 and dabbling in property in Spain, McDonough can offer a generation of football's hard men his heartfelt advice from the splendid isolation of his natural habitat - the early bath.

In his caveman's rampage through seven clubs, he saw them all. And he wasn't impressed with the competition.

"Vinnie Jones? He was a bully. I wish I could have played against him every week," scoffed McDonough. "Roy Keane was the last of the real hard men, ully. I inst ed as n, the last of his breed. I look around the Premier League now and there are no warriors.

"Where are the big, brave sods who will put their head in where it hurts? I wouldn't follow most of them into the chip shop, never mind the trenches.

"Look at Joey Barton - he got a 12-match ban for losing his rag, but he isn't notorious because he's hard. He has become notorious for being a p****.

"Hard men don't go spouting off on Twitter or quoting Greek philosophers to make themselves look intellectual, they get stuck in.

"If Barton was as good as he thinks he is, he would score more goals, win more tackles and he would put a few more opponents through the advertising boards.

"But his idea of a fight is scrapping outside a takeaway, isn't it? And I would love five minutes on the pitch with John Terry. Anyone who walks on the pitch with his socks pulled up above his knees is asking for it.

"I was glad they took the England captaincy off him. In a flat back four sitting deep across their own 18-yard line, his mates will always make him look good, but if you isolate him - like the Germans did at the World Cup - he is like a fish up a tree.

"Terry is just another bully. He would have disappeared down the nearest hole if he had played against Billy Bremner, Dave Mackay, Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith or Stuart Pearce at his peak... they were real hard men.

Rpy McDonough, Colchester Utd legend

can't say i remember him being a particularly hard or dirty player, he was player manager when i remember him though

Who's the journo who is often on SSN on Monday mornings? It's not the Norwich fan who always slates Spurs and Arsenal. He's probably in his 40s.

Of course journalists are going to be biased, they are football fans at the end of the day, just like us.

Yes, but many of them are sneaky fudgers that claim no bias whatsoever

They'll say things like "I support England" and then fill their newspaper or twitter feed with biased articles

They need to be outed

Henry Winter was ribbing Paul Hawksbee about the Spurs result on Monday's episode of Hawksbee and Jacobs so I'm guessing he's a Chelsea fan.

Back