• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Capello Resigns / New England Manager Speculation Thread

Buying the right player at club level = calling up the right players at international level.

True to an extent, but not entirely. For example, England need a competent deep-lying regista for the upcoming Euros, if they're to stand any chance. The closest players to that mould are Huddlestone and Wheelchair, and both are out with long term injuries and probably won't be fit for the tournament. So who do you call up then? if you were at club level, you could simply buy a cheap, effective foreign player, and that's what Redknapp has done, by and large, for a sizable portion of his career. But from the national pool, who do you call up to provide the answer? IF you end up not being able to find the player you need for your formation, you have to change it to suit the players at your disposal, and that's where Harry's tactical limitations come into play.

Hello, Im Mr Controversial.

Please find me very angry and controversial. I start a thread to get reaction. I might even call someone a c#nt. Thats how controversial I am. Listen to this.....Spurs are sh#t...hehe.

Please be angry by that.

Yours truely,

Mr Controversial

Most pointless thread title ever. Harry could lose every match from now until May 10 nil, still he'd be next England manager. He's already been selected, there is no one else.

It should be 'Is England speculation doing Spurs out of a CL spot'.

This reminds me of a few people who sit near me in the park lane - who were booing a poor touch or mistake when we were 4-0 up against the toon, 3rd in the league. The guy next to me says 'they've either only been watching us for 2-3 years or they are just dingdongs' Spot on, this has been a great season for us and it shows how far we have come that people think we're in meltdown for losing to arsenal and united back to back

We beat Saudi Sportswashing Machine 5-0 3 days after he resigned?

As I posted in the OMT that was the exception IMO. Poor performances and shipping goals has now become the norm.

Harry was quick to blame City (h) and Man Utd (a) on Modric saga unsettling the dressing room. If that was even 10% of the reason then fudge knows what damage the England speculation is doing.

Harry needs to commit or leave now. Chelsea will improve now their dead man walking is gone, we've still got ours at the helm.

As I posted in the OMT that was the exception IMO. Poor performances and shipping goals has now become the norm.

Harry was quick to blame City (h) and Man Utd (a) on Modric saga unsettling the dressing room. If that was even 10% of the reason then fudge knows what damage the England speculation is doing.

Harry needs to commit or leave now. Chelsea will improve now their dead man walking is gone, we've still got ours at the helm.

He's probably said to the players "I'm here until the rest of the season now fudge off and win games"

SORRY they've lost to Man United, and Arsenal away

The game at international level is entirely about tactics; individual inspiration and creative flair have nearly been drilled out of it. Every move is practised countless times, every set piece repeated again and again, because those things can make the difference. Harry doesn't do intensive training, doesn't do tactics and one of his main strengths, buying the right player, is useless at the international level. So he wouldn't just be unsuited to the job, he could be a potential disaster if appointed. I hope, both for his sake and ours, he sees sense and sticks with what he's got here.

I disagree with this. The international manager has so little time with the players it is more about picking the right players to complement each other and system you have chosen. For me Redknapp is perfect for international management. He knows how to put a team together and has good man management skills. Add to that his media savy and it's a match made in heaven.

So, out of the four games that have followed the England manager saga's beginning; Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Stevenage, Arsenal and United- we've won one, drawn one and lost two, in that order. Doesn't look great, I admit. But take a closer look. we smashed Saudi Sportswashing Machine- absolutely tore them apart. We played fairly poorly at Stevenage but would have won had Parker not got his body in the way of that Saha shot. We played fairly well for 35-40 minutes in the Arsenal game but then utterly imploded. And then we dominated the game against United, but went down to a few soft goals.

I think we're exaggerating the extent of the media circus' impact on our performances. Sure, United and Arsenal stuck eight goals past us, but they're two of the most lethal sides in the country, you give them chances and they'll take 'em, unlike most other teams in the division. We offered up the same number of chances in other games, too; we just never got punished because the opposition weren't as clinical. Here they were. Our next opponents won't be. So we're good.

It isn't Capello's fault, it's John Terry's. If he didn't 'alledgedly' racially abuse Anton Ferdinand, he's still captain, Capello still has a job, we continue playing well. John Terry...te root of all evil

Not capello.

roman_pavlyuchenko_1580767c.jpg

tumblr_ldp3yyI6tu1qb9a2wo1_500.png

The statement actually says "near end of season" which is weird.

I'll add to that mate...heard the FA bloke earlier, and he was actually pressed on what that meant, i.e. if the team who's manager is in the frame has their season's dealings settled with, say, 2 games to go, could it be earlier? To which the bloke said yes...

Sunday People reporting that the FA will get Harry and as part of that we will get Wembley to use whist our new stadium is built

Hahahahahahah yeh ok

Yes indeed, complete with a guarantee that one of our games during those seasons is the cup final, bye straight through, hahahahahaha...

Impossible to say what the effect might be. I would say though from my recollection the Toon game came after Harry was cleared in court, if I'm right the performance and bounce came from that. But honestly it is impossible to say without speaking to the players. I am sure Levy will be seeking to understand is there is anything in it because we have an awful lot riding on the remainder of this season.

the fa want arry as england manager asap but won't approach us while we're battling for 3rd and still in the cup.

a quiet word with rthe referees wouldn't go amiss then. cosy us into 3rd asap and a couple of dodgy decisions in the cup semi and final wouldn't go amiss either.

I disagree with this. The international manager has so little time with the players it is more about picking the right players to complement each other and system you have chosen. For me Redknapp is perfect for international management. He knows how to put a team together and has good man management skills. Add to that his media savy and it's a match made in heaven.

Hmm. Some good points, and well made. Perhaps I was a tad too hasty in my estimation of the international game as being the pinnacle of football tactics. However, I do want to mention that the team do spend a lot of time together during tournaments, and that's probably when the players get systems drilled into them. I mean, look at Germany; they are an extremely well-organized team, and don't make many mistakes tactically or technically. Now, is that down to the brilliance of the individual players? Unlikely, so it must have been drilled into them by Low, and, since you are entirely right that the players don't spend enough time together during the qualifiers or the friendlies, it must have been coached into them at the tournaments they've been in, and over the years as they've picked up bits and pieces during regular games as Low implemented his philosophy, one game at a time.

Harry isn't the man to go to for a long-term tactical layout, he's much more relaxed about letting players go out and just play. That could be his biggest failing, imo.

For me, at that level, it's more about the ability to think on your feet, spot a weakness in the opponent's game and change things up during the match to exploit it. Mourinho has that in spades, but it's about as far from Redknapp's forte as you can get. The other route to success is introducing a skilled motivator to a squad that already has all the ingredients, really, and just needs someone to make them all believe. In that vein, I could imagine HR doing at least as well for the English as Venables did in Euro 96 with the right squad, but not with the current set-up.

Last edited:
Back