• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Capello Resigns / New England Manager Speculation Thread

england > quarter final > out.

redknapp wont change a thing, other than we might play better football

Spain, Germany and Holland are the best teams in Europe, by some distance.

WE HAVE NO CHANCE OF WINNING THE WORLD CUP IN BRAZIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Mexico, Chile, Spain, Holland and Germany should all be favoured ahead of us.

Redknapp has surprised us all with what he has achieved & done for the club not to mention he has an understanding & mutual respect with out chairman who despite being an incredible businessman is also a tough man to deal with. It's going to be hard to find a replacement that works on all levels & brings the same success. Mourinho is no doubt a great manager but would be be happy working without the funds he is used to? Would he have that same relationship with Levy?? Difficult to say for sure but doubtful I think. Personally Brendan Rodgers would be in my thoughts because he likes his teams to play in a way that is the Spurs way but my only concern with him is his ability to attract the stature of player we need to keep going in the right direction, in his case we might need to bring in a DOF again who has that pulling power but who also he would be happy working with & be making the decisions on incoming players between them, basically using the DOF as the deal breaker. Other than those two it's hard to see where we would go, Moyes is too defensive & I don't see him fitting in, Coyle has got found out in my opinion (he's one I thought would be good a yr ago), Lambert again has done well but I don't see as being quite ready for that jump up yet, Poyet still has more to prove, Jurgen would be a bad choice imo & we have been down the ex player road before & it hasn't worked, Ancelotti won't be leaving PSG, Coppelo has lose respect in this country so that's another no, so really it is going to be a tough job finding someone to come in without too much disruption & keep us going forward & the players we want to keep still at the club. Mourinho is the best choice but can we honestly say wethink we can get him & would it work anyway??

On Football focus they are banging on about Pearce being in charge for the game against Holland. Have i missed some thing? oh and they where acting like it was just Redknaps name down on the shortlist clams the lot of them.

Pearce has taken over until the new man is appointed.

Also, they still have to find out what the settlement and wages will be for Harry. He's not going to get the same money that Capello was on, and Levy will have Spurs covered re: compensation.

With sponsorship down and the national football centre opening after summer, there isn't an unlimited pot of money available. It could still be the case that the FA can't afford Redknapp to take over on a full time basis.

Redknapp has surprised us all with what he has achieved & done for the club not to mention he has an understanding & mutual respect with out chairman who despite being an incredible businessman is also a tough man to deal with. It's going to be hard to find a replacement that works on all levels & brings the same success. Mourinho is no doubt a great manager but would be be happy working without the funds he is used to? Would he have that same relationship with Levy?? Difficult to say for sure but doubtful I think. Personally Brendan Rodgers would be in my thoughts because he likes his teams to play in a way that is the Spurs way but my only concern with him is his ability to attract the stature of player we need to keep going in the right direction, in his case we might need to bring in a DOF again who has that pulling power but who also he would be happy working with & be making the decisions on incoming players between them, basically using the DOF as the deal breaker. Other than those two it's hard to see where we would go, Moyes is too defensive & I don't see him fitting in, Coyle has got found out in my opinion (he's one I thought would be good a yr ago), Lambert again has done well but I don't see as being quite ready for that jump up yet, Poyet still has more to prove, Jurgen would be a bad choice imo & we have been down the ex player road before & it hasn't worked, Ancelotti won't be leaving PSG, Coppelo has lose respect in this country so that's another no, so really it is going to be a tough job finding someone to come in without too much disruption & keep us going forward & the players we want to keep still at the club. Mourinho is the best choice but can we honestly say wethink we can get him & would it work anyway??

I would loathe to go back to a DoF setup. It just doesn't work as there are two egos to deal with. Commoli isn't setting the world on fire at Liverpool, and just where else in England is it being used? The continent is very different. We need a manager plain and simple. Redknapp is that man, but not the only one that can do the job. It's obvious he will manage England, we just have to work out the best person to replace him in the close season. The new manager will not need to overhaul the club, so we are an attractive option for genuine top quality managers. Would love Mourinho, but I also trust Levys judgement.

I think Harry is too clever to take over a national team a few weeks before a major tournament.
There's not he can do with the side in that time and he would be on a hiding to nothing.
He'll let someone else take the can for the upcoming euro's disaster and take a well deserved break.

I would loathe to go back to a DoF setup. It just doesn't work as there are two egos to deal with. Commoli isn't setting the world on fire at Liverpool, and just where else in England is it being used? The continent is very different. We need a manager plain and simple. Redknapp is that man, but not the only one that can do the job. It's obvious he will manage England, we just have to work out the best person to replace him in the close season. The new manager will not need to overhaul the club, so we are an attractive option for genuine top quality managers. Would love Mourinho, but I also trust Levys judgement.

As I have tried to say a number of times, the 'set up' is no better or worse than any other. Its WHO YOU PUT IN IT that counts.

If Redknapp becomes the new England manager I think more people will be more tinkled off with the media that Redknapp himself for going.

I'm yet to be convinced by Sandro and Parker together. I was interested in seeing it when Parker joined but I think that they go for too many of the same balls and the team lacks attacking options and balance.

I can't wait to have Hudd back and am intrigued by how he will fit into the current team.

These are my sentiments too. Neither Sandro nor Parker has struck me as good finishers, or even good providers, so it leaves a lot up to who ever plays in front of them. I don't think he's that good at marking out playmakers either, but what he does extremely well is being direct at the man in possession and breaking up counter attacks. This may very well be instructional, but it looks very much like our players are given a lot of freedom and are more encouraged to look for own options than conform to a system of play. This is particulary evident when we are in the lead, where it seems like we'd rather save energy than kill teams off. I otherwise agree a lot with what Punk says, especially about recycling possession and that Parker will not win you games, but he will significantly reduce successful attacks against us.

I believe that whatever way we fit Hudd in, we will see an even better Lennon. The Hudd-Corluka-Lennon constellation still gives me the shivers, even if we at that time didn't have an in-form Bale. Even if Walker is in no way a like-for-like Corluka replacement, the amount of options we will have when Hudd is back are great. I think my preferred setup would then be Parker as the anchor when in a three-man midfield with Modric as the engineer of play and Hudd as the outlet and provider.

I can't believe that Harry would turn down the opportunity to manage such a team, with a great goal-scoring forward it would be the best and most exciting team we've had for decades.

Clubs that have a DoF: Liverpool and WBA
Clubs with a similar setup, but no designated "DoF": Tottenham, City, Chelsea, Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Arsenal and United could also be put in that category as Wenger and Ferguson do a lot of what a DoF does.

edit: What I mean is that the next manager they hire won't have the freedom that Wenger and Fergie have had. They shaped the club and the setup they have in place.

I haven't even looked at the other clubs, but most of them will have a Chief Executive who does a lot of what a DoF would be, whatever title you give him.

Last edited:
I think Harry is too clever to take over a national team a few weeks before a major tournament.
There's not he can do with the side in that time and he would be on a hiding to nothing.
He'll let someone else take the can for the upcoming euro's disaster and take a well deserved break.

If it were me I would see it as an opportunity.

Write off the tournament and try blooding some younger players (much like Germany)

Whatever happens isnt down to me, its a free pass.

Drop out easily and its "what valuable experience for the young team Im building", do a respectable job and its "how bright is this future Im creating"

Clubs that have a DoF: Liverpool and WBA
Clubs with a similar setup, but no designated "DoF": Tottenham, City, Chelsea, Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Arsenal and United could also be put in that category as Wenger and Ferguson do a lot of what a DoF does.

edit: What I mean is that the next manager they hire won't have the freedom that Wenger and Fergie have had. They shaped the club and the setup they have in place.

I haven't even looked at the other clubs, but most of them will have a Chief Executive who does a lot of what a DoF would be, whatever title you give him.

This is basically my point, very few clubs have a set whereby the Manager does the lot.

Most have a position which takes care of negotiation and purchasing. A position that deals with targeting/scouting players. Someone in charge offering overall instruction and someone looking after the team itself.

Quite how you label all those positions is irrelevant IMHO, and the difference between the perceived DOF structure and the common structure at most clubs is marginal IMHO.

What about a chief exec and a manager?

Or Chairman and Manager?

Or Chairman/Manager/Cheif exec/Head scout quango?

How do you suppose most clubs actually operate these days?

Watching Harry celebrating the goals the way he did today and seeing the potential this team has I don't think he's going anywhere.

The FA are in a pickle though. If they don't try to get Harry they're in for a major backlash from media and fans and probably sponsors as well. As far as everyone else is concerned Harry is the next England manager.

He could take charge for the Euros and then return to Spurs, but don't think Harry has anything to gain from that. England will go out in the quarters or could even make the semis with some luck, but what if they fail? And how would the next manager feel about not being considered "good enough" to lead them at a major championship, but being the long term choice?

Besides, it's not like the England job won't come around again in 2 or even 4 years.

Watching Harry celebrating the goals the way he did today and seeing the potential this team has I don't think he's going anywhere.

The FA are in a pickle though. If they don't try to get Harry they're in for a major backlash from media and fans and probably sponsors as well. As far as everyone else is concerned Harry is the next England manager.

He could take charge for the Euros and then return to Spurs, but don't think Harry has anything to gain from that. England will go out in the quarters or could even make the semis with some luck, but what if they fail? And how would the next manager feel about not being considered "good enough" to lead them at a major championship, but being the long term choice?

Besides, it's not like the England job won't come around again in 2 or even 4 years.

Didn't Fergie do it with Scotland in 86? That was exceptional circumstances, admittedly, but it can be done. I'd bite your hand off for that situation right now.

Back