• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Not much on at work...

raboner

Banned
so i'm currently sort of between projects at work (i'm a web designer/developer) and for the last couple of days have been delegated very little work by my boss..

i work for a fairly small, insular company and feel like when im not doing work, i am being watched closely and judged..

i have asked the boss for things to do and have basically been palmed off and given small menial jobs (writing up a proposal for a new email marketing strategy.)

i know there are some web projects in the pipeline, but the waiting is killing me!

what should i do? other than post like a madman on here and browse the web.

it's a toughie.

I do the same work and have been quiet lately. I actually spend a bit of time doing personal projects at work, on the sly. It's great for development cos the code looks the same to everyone!

What sort of web stuff do you do?

i work for a marketing agency that predominantly caters for schools.. so at the moment, designing (photoshop) and building (wordpress) a whole lot of school websites.. the majority of existing school websites are thoroughly awful haha.

how about you?

im thinking about looking for a more creative agency though, as designing school websites gets pretty 'same-same' and tedious.

I do pretty much the same - I live in WordPress and love it. Agree about the tedium of certain jobs. I've worked in house for a few companies and it doesn't compare to working for an agency across different projects.

But yeah, between a bit of real work, my personal work and GG I just about get through my 8 hours!

might have to take your advice and do some personal work then :)

need to start on my own website/portfolio if i'm contemplating going on the job hunt. haha.

Yep exactly. I've been doing that, but bloody hell I think designing your own website is the hardest thing in our line of work!

tell me about it! it's such a self-reflection.. you want to do something cutting edge, but functional and also reasonably 'blank-canvasish' to make sure you can showcase your work effectively.

i have some nice ideas, but i never have the time to test things properly..

so i'm currently sort of between projects at work (i'm a web designer/developer) and for the last couple of days have been delegated very little work by my boss..

i work for a fairly small, insular company and feel like when im not doing work, i am being watched closely and judged..

i have asked the boss for things to do and have basically been palmed off and given small menial jobs (writing up a proposal for a new email marketing strategy.)

i know there are some web projects in the pipeline, but the waiting is killing me!

what should i do? other than post like a madman on here and browse the web.

it's a toughie.

Can you not brush up some skills or gain an industry certification?

Perhaps learn HTML5

Or maybe create a Whitepaper for your corporate website

Or some generic training material you can share with clients

Perhaps create a "coding standards" document for other / new employees

Or refresh some corporate PowerPoint presentation with your latest client references or company awards?

Surely there's at least 100 things you can think of doing during down time?

Perhaps that's what you're being judged on..........

WordPress. Ugh. Hate it. I know people who love it but most people I know who use it couldn't program a plugin for it if their life depended on it.

Perhaps learn HTML5

Or refresh some corporate PowerPoint presentation with your latest client references or company awards?

hey.. shaddap, no one asked you *shifty eyes*

but honestly, solid advice mate. cheers.

WordPress. Ugh. Hate it. I know people who love it but most people I know who use it couldn't program a plugin for it if their life depended on it.

For me, that's the beauty of it. It's perfect for people with no idea how to do a website and it's also very good for experienced developers.

question for you Raboner..... the company i work for are an international company. We released a new website , and it had to be taken down because it was unstable. It must be 8-10 weeks ago that happened and it still isnt up!

what the hell could be wrong because the company aren't telling us anything. its a ordering website so linked to ordering system which is Sap i believe.

What could be the delay? cant believe it hasnt been fixed already.

question for you Raboner..... the company i work for are an international company. We released a new website , and it had to be taken down because it was unstable. It must be 8-10 weeks ago that happened and it still isnt up!

what the hell could be wrong because the company aren't telling us anything. its a ordering website so linked to ordering system which is SAP i believe.

What could be the delay? cant believe it hasnt been fixed already.

There's your answer :)

The wheels turn slowly with SAP

Perhaps learn HTML5

oh and p.s, i was insulted by this comment! haha.

Back