• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Not Knowing other scores until Match of the Day

Mr_B

Niko Kranjcar
I bet on most PL games and like to watch them, I try most weeks to see the games on MOTD without finding out the scores. Its really tricky to do, avoiding sports tickers on non sport channels, texts from mates, etc but its worth it to see the highlights and see how i did.

:eek: how can you even confess such a thing, on this site of any site? And with just 170 posts to your name too... wow, someone is brave!! :-k

Reminds me of the "Likely Lads" episode where they try to avoid hearing the score of their team's game until they can watch it on MOTD. I'm old, by the way. \o/

Reminds me of the "Likely Lads" episode where they try to avoid hearing the score of their team's game until they can watch it on MOTD. I'm old, by the way. \o/

Classic episode by the way.

I remember, many years ago, Warrington were playing Wigan in the RL Cup final, I was out for the day so videoed the match in the hope I could get home without knowing the score.
Managed it successfully, so chuffed, its 8pm when I get in, while I'm rewinding the VCR I go to make myself a brew and look through the window to see 2 Warrington fans, scarves on, heads drooped looking like the world had ended. Needless to say I pretty much knew was what coming when I watched the match...gutted

Anyone remember the Euro 2000 qualifier play off with Scotland? Second leg at Wembley, 2-0 up from Hampden. Terrestial screened the game with an hour delay for some reason and I remember us watching the game with the volume cranked up for the second half in case there were people celebrating in the street.

I always try and avoid hearing the scores, particularly the Spurs score, so that I can watch it on MOTD. It's much more exciting watching highlights when you have no idea of the score, because it's almost like watching it live, getting excited at near misses or going mental when you score a late winner. If you already know the score/scorers then there's barely any point watching it in my view because you can't get excited about something that you know 100% has already happened.

I've only done this three times.

First time was the Arsenal game where Ade scored that fantastic goal against us and we lost 3-1. I was watching that with my Gooner mate who also didn't know the score, needless to say awful day.

Second time I did this (least I think it's the second, may be third) was for the Cup final between Cardiff and Pompey. Me and my mate went to get some beers ready for the coverage. As soon as we got in the lady had just finished saying "then look away now" and we saw the score on the screen.

Third time I did this I was with a United supporting mate, who also didn't know the score. We were 2-0 up and lost 5-2. Another ****ing bad day!

Never done it again since, to much hard work and suffering has been caused doing it!

The most memorable one for me was when Barca Milan played last season. Milan won the first leg 2 - 0 and I recorded the second match because I was out that evening. Barca won 4 - 0 with one of the finest performances in recent memory, and which was apparently headline news everywhere. I someone managed to avoid the morning news, all newspaper headlines (keeping my eyes firmly fixed to my book on the train to avoid inadvertently seeing any pictures/headlines on the sea of newspapers surrounding me), avoided all football talk during the day, didn't go anywhere near the internet, managed to get all the way home and watch the match in peace and quiet, and enjoy the match as it unfolded. It was bloody stressful though because any time I heard people start to talk about "last night" or sport, I had to stick my fingers in my ears to avoid hearing the news. It was worth it though because it was a great game and would have been ruined had I known the result when I started watching.

I have been on the flip side before as well though. When Rafa Nadal played Djokovic in the final of the US open last year, because of the time difference I recorded the game to watch the following evening. Again I didn't watch the morning news, avoided glancing at any newspapers on the train, got through the whole day at work without anyone mentioning it (there are no tennis fans at work thankfully), and then managed to get home again without seeing any Evening Standard headlines. I thought I was going to make it, but just as I was about 50 yards from the safety of my house, I walked past two people having a conversation in the street and one of them said to the other "So Rafa won then?" It ruined it for me, because although I still watched the match, there was no way I could get excited about any break of serve, or come back from Novak because I knew it would all be in vain.

I remember setting an alarm to wake up early for the first F1 of the season. As it was the Australian GP, I had recorded it and was going to watch it. Except, I'd forgotten that my alarm was a radio alarm clock..the first words I heard, as I woke up, told me who had won and that was it, couldn't watch after that! No fun.

Back