• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Clearly our players's agents are being kept informed - they all seemed to take great delight in knowing Sherwood was gone before he did.

I saw some quotes from Sandro today where he denied that the players knew of Sherwood's fate

Wrong thread I know but I've got a feeling Liverpool will actually get who they want this summer as opposed to us stealing them at the death as per.

Yeah, but they primarily want Lallana for that position now.

Konoplyanka with one year left of his contract is a perfect Berbs/Modric/Siggy deal for Levy (i.e. the early one that has been concocted all spring).

I saw some quotes from Sandro today where he denied that the players knew of Sherwood's fate

I'd be more inclined to believe Sandro, but he may not have know if others knew - would be surprised if that were the case though.

This will be our 9th manager in 13 years. Do you think Levy is ever going to ask himself how it is he keeps getting it so, so wrong?
The idea someone like Martinez is going to move from his settled position at a top 5 team to come to the serial sackers is just madness. He'll bide his time at Everton and move to a CL job here or in Europe (Arsenal next summer?). I guarantee we'll get Pochettino and he'll have been sacked within 18 months.
I've been following Spurs since the 1970s - this is a pretty low time for me. No direction. No stability. We've gone from being on the verge of being a genuine top 4 club to slipping behind Liverpool and Everton and I think next season United will also finish above us.
Shambles.

Oh FFS i've had it up to here with fans like you.

Read back what you've written and have a word with yourself.

9th manager in 13 years?

Well I'm pretty sure Chelsea are on their 9th appointment in 10 years and they haven't done too badly. Every major club and successful business bar one or two changes its management structure regularly. Fresh ideas stop things from getting stale. Maybe if Wenger had been booted Arsenal might have won a trophy in the last decade.

As someone else has said you strip out the caretakers and stop gaps and Levy's real choices of manager come down to Hoddle, Santini, Jol, Ramos, Redknapp and AVB in 14 years.

You've been following us since the 70s and this is the lowest you've felt? We got relegated in the 70s ffs, 5-0 defeats were common place, in the 90s Darren Anderton was our star player and we used to lose 3-0 at home to Sheffield Wednesday and finish 13th.

Honestly this failure to qualify for the CL as some kind of Failure and the media driven hype and new fan entitlement has turned people like you into lunatics that see 5th and 6th place finishes with squads full of internationals as failure and you long for the glory years of the 70s and 80s when we were relegated a couple of times and played players like van den hauwe howells samways and stewart.

You say theres no stability or direction but our stability is in massively improved finances and global exposure under Enic , regular every-season european football, continous improvement in squad quality and depth , capital projects delivering the best training ground and academy in the country and the beginnings of a new stadium build whilst remaining debt free and consistent upwards trend in performance in the league with regular top 5 and top 6 finishes as well as record ever points total last season that we only just failed to match this.

Most clubs with our average attendances and budget would dream of being such a shambles.

No, but you just keep believing the media hype about Levy and what a shambles we are - i mean we've sacked two of their darlings now.

You keep dreaming of the pre-levy glory years when promotion from the 2nd division and Hoddle scoring a volley in a 5-1 defeat and spraying a few passes around was all we coukd cheer or having Andy Booth as our striker. Yearn for the 80s era of a few maveriks with a load of cloggers.

Or alternatively, please just **** off!

You can ban me again now mods i need this forum out my life FFS

I'd be more inclined to believe Sandro, but he may not have know if others knew - would be surprised if that were the case though.

I doubt if the club were briefing the players. The ones we want to keep are tied down on long contracts and why bother confirming something that everyone had assumed was the case anyway?

9th manager in 13 years?

Well I'm pretty sure Chelsea are on their 9th appointment in 10 years and they haven't done too badly. Every major club and successful business bar one or two changes its management structure regularly. Fresh ideas stop things from getting stale. Maybe if Wenger had been booted Arsenal might have won a trophy in the last decade.

As someone else has said you strip out the caretakers and stop gaps and Levy's real choices of manager come down to Hoddle, Santini, Jol, Ramos, Redknapp and AVB in 14 years.

You've been following us since the 70s and this is the lowest you've felt? We got relegated in the 70s ffs, 5-0 defeats were common place, in the 90s Darren Anderton was our star player and we used to lose 3-0 at home to Sheffield Wednesday and finish 13th.

Honestly this failure to qualify for the CL as some kind of Failure and the media driven hype and new fan entitlement has turned people like you into lunatics that see 5th and 6th place finishes with squads full of internationals as failure and you long for the glory years of the 70s and 80s when we were relegated a couple of times and played players like van den hauwe howells samways and stewart.

You say theres no stability or direction but our stability is in massively improved finances and global exposure under Enic , regular every-season european football, continous improvement in squad quality and depth , capital projects delivering the best training ground and academy in the country and the beginnings of a new stadium build whilst remaining debt free and consistent upwards trend in performance in the league with regular top 5 and top 6 finishes as well as record ever points total last season that we only just failed to match this.

Most clubs with our average attendances and budget would dream of being such a shambles.

No, but you just keep believing the media hype about Levy and what a shambles we are - i mean we've sacked two of their darlings now.

You keep dreaming of the pre-levy glory years when promotion from the 2nd division and Hoddle scoring a volley in a 5-1 defeat and spraying a few passes around was all we coukd cheer or having Andy Booth as our striker. Yearn for the 80s era of a few maveriks with a load of cloggers.

This.

When was the last time Tottenham Hotspur Football Club finished in the top 6 for 5 consecutive seasons?

1960: 3rd
1961: 1st
1962: 3rd
1963: 2nd
1964: 4th
1965: 6th

So basically these past five seasons have been the best we've seen in the league for half a century and people think Levy needs to go. Wow.

Hey everybody lets go back to the days of Gary Dotherty upfront, losing 7-1 to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and being 3-0 up against Emirates Marketing Project in an FA Cup replay......

:rolleyes:

This management change is a rare one in that it will occur during the post season rather than during it; so long as this all happens before July and pre-season restarting it is at least the best time to make a change . This will be the 9th appointment Levy will have made but only the 3rd (after Santini and AVB) who will have had a full (?) pre-season to work with their new players and presumably to select the players they want in the transfer window to in theory be able to hit the ground running.

Similarly in the decade pre Levy under Sugar there were 4 new managers and only one of them (Ardiles) had a pre-season.

A quick summary of the most recent management changes and the near misses and ones who got away:

Dec 2013: Out - AVB; In - Sherwood; Time between - 7 days
AVB left his post on Mon 16th Dec, the morning after the 5-0 humiliation by Liverpool. The combination of Sherwood, Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey were put in temporary charge of the 1st team for the pending midweek game with West Ham which we subsequently lost albeit with a renewed vigour and Adebayor who was brought back in from the cold. Following an enterprising 3-2 victory at Southampton at the weekend Sherwood and co landed the jobs on a 18 month basis.
Van Gaal was widely mentioned but never a realistic proposition with the dutchman contracted to his national team up to and including the 2014 World Cup Finals. A popular choice was ex-manager and White Hart Lane hero Glenn Hoddle who stated publicly that he would be happy to take the job for a short-term period.

June 2012: Out - Harry Redknapp; In - AVB - 19 days
following several days of heavy speculation Harry Redknapp left the club on 13th June 2012, this despite having finished 4th for the third time in three years. It was nearly 3 weeks later than AVB was announced as his replacement. One reason for this delay was a clause in AVB's pay-off with previous employers Chelsea which meant that he would have to wait until 1st July 2012 in order to trigger further severance payments for his terminated contract.
It is thought that several candidates were interviewed or sounded out for the post including Brendan Rodgers (who was allegedly put off by Levy's insistence of inserting several pay-off clauses should the contract not be completed!), Roberto Martinez and David Moyes.

Oct 2008: Out - Ramos; In - Redknapp - instantaneous
On the night of Sat 25th Oct 2008 with Spurs sitting bottom of the table with just 2 points from 8 games ;-) and the visit of Bolton Wanderers the following day Juande Ramos was relinquished of his duties. With him went Gus Poyet, Marcus Alvarez and more significantly Sporting Director, Damien Commoli. The news didn't stop there though. Throughout the night, having agreed a fee of £5m with Portsmouth, Harry Redknapp was Spurs' new manager and picked the side and watched from the dug out as Spurs recorded their first win of the season several hours later presumably having not had a minutes sleep. Brought in primarily to ensure Premier League survival Redknapp took Spurs into the top 4 twice and the Champions League semi-final.

Oct 2007: Out - Martin Jol; In - Juande Ramos : 2 days
In one of the most shameful nights in Tottenham Hotspur's then 125 year history popular manager Martin Jol was sacked during the UEFA Cup game with Getafe, which Spurs lost 2-1. Speculation had been rife for weeks since Jol, in pre-season, had played down prospects of a coveted top 4 finish. It was no surprise that Jol did lose his job, especially after poor defeats at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Sunderland and at home to Arsenal ; it was also no surprise that 3 days later Juande Ramos, who had been spotted meeting with Spurs officials, was appointed as his replacement in time for the League Cup 4th round tie with Blackpool the following midweek. (in between Clive Allen was caretaker manager in 2-1 home defeat to Blackburn)

Nov 2004: Out - Santini; In - Jol - 5 days
In one of the shortest lived reigns of any Premier League manager Jacques Santini left the club on Friday 5th November, the eve of a home game with Charlton Athletic. Santini had been a surprise appointment during the summer and had been moulded into a management team alongside Frank Arnesen as Sporting Director and Martin Jol as Santini's assistant. Santini was always the odd man out and having only a very basic grasp of English and struggling to settle in London Santini left the club with immediate effect. Results had been mixed but goals were hard to come by. Jol, Arnesen's first choice, took the team for the defeat to Charlton and then following a 3-0 victory at Burnley in the League Cup Jol was confirmed as the new full-time 1st team coach.

Sept 2003: Out - Hoddle; In - Santini (via Pleat as Caretaker Manager) - 9 months
With results and performances dipping Glenn Hoddle found himself foul of Daniel Levy's ejection seat button. Hoddle was dismissed in Sept 2003 after an embarrassing home defeat to former club Southampton on 20th Sept 2003. Director of Football, and former Manager David Pleat was instantly installed as Caretaker Manager until the end of the season. Daniel Levy promised a big name manager, and following an upturn in results under Pleat, this was promised at the end of the season. It was widely expected that the Italian Giovanni Trapatoni would be the name we'd all been waiting for and allegedly this was a done deal until Mrs Trapatoni persuaded her husband not to move to London. Several other names were mooted including Mark Hughes, who had impressed with Welsh national team, and Martin O'Neill who was apparently ready to move back to the Premier League. As fortunes on the pitch deteriorated rapidly after xmas and Spurs were dragged down the table there was uproar in the stands at WHL and Levy knew that he needed a big name to appease the crowd (this in the days when games rarely sold out and there was no season ticket waiting list).
Having spent time talking to clubs around Europe Levy found at PSV, a system he liked with a Director of Football who made all the big decisions. Such a fan was he, Levy shrewdly appointed their Sporting Director Frank Arnesen. Arnesen was very keen to appoint to largely unknown (in England) Martin Jol as Head Coach but Levy knowing that the Spurs fans wanted a 'name' insisted on France boss Jacques Santini with Jol as an assistant. Santini was announced as the new Manager on 3rd June 2004 - nearly 9 months after Hoddle had been sacked.

March 2001: Out - George Graham; In - Glenn Hoddle - 13 days
Daniel Levy and ENIC took control of the club in Jan 2001 and keen to make a mark sacked the unpopular George Graham, citing that the Scot had revealed sensitive information regarding the clubs transfer policy in the media. Whilst few supporters were sad to see Graham, a former Arsenal player and manager, leave the club, it was considered very bad timing seeing as we were due to play Arsenal in an FA Cup semi-final within a fortnight. There had been little inclination to suggest that Graham's departure was imminent so when news broke on Fri 16th March the football world was stunned. Cynically it appeared the new Spurs owners were after positive PR and the only candidate for the job appeared to be Spurs legend Glenn Hoddle, then the Southampton manager. The South Coast club were not game though and dug their heels in to prevent Hoddle returning to his spiritual home. Hoddle eventually resigned and joined Spurs on Friday 30th March the day before a league game at Highbury which was officially led by David Pleat; however, his first full game came the following weekend at Old Trafford where Arsenal were again victorious.

Just been reading about Pochettino's backroom staff. Seems he brought three main staff with him from Espanyol to Soton:

First Team Assistant Manager - Jesús Pérez Pérez
First Team Coach Miguel - Angel D'Agostino
First Team Goalkeeping Coach - Antoni Jiménez Sistachs

That's one more than AVB had, if we're looking to incorporate Freund and Parks.

Would be fun to think up some 'Jesus is a yiddo' type songs though.

FDB has 4 assistants (Spijkerman, Bergkamp, Stam and Stekelenburg)

Last edited:

9th manager in 13 years?

Well said .. thank you.

Hold on a second....do we still have a chance to get LVG?

Louis van Gaal is now keeping his counsel about the vacant Manchester United post

Holland coach Louis van Gaal says his future remains up in the air, despite widespread reports linking him with the Manchester United manager's job.

Van Gaal, who is in camp with Holland as they prepare for their upcoming World Cup campaign, said a few days ago that United are the biggest club in the world and that he would love to be chosen as their new boss.

But he is now refusing to discuss whether he will become the next man to take charge at Old Trafford and has hinted that he has other options.

Asked about the United job by Dutch media on Tuesday, Van Gaal said: "No, I would not say anything about it.

"I'm here as Dutch national team coach, not the future Manchester United coach.

"You must wait until the process is complete. If you want to know more, then you must put questions to Manchester United, or perhaps to another club.

"I cannot say anything further about it.

"I said a few words last week about Manchester United because there were uninvited English journalists here and I thought it would be a little mean spirited if I did not answer a few of their questions.

"I mumbled a few words to them and, from that, they write 60 full pages. But you can't do anything about it."

Asked if he would be taking advantage of a day off for the Dutch squad on Wednesday to fly over to England and sign a contract with United, the 62-year-old said: "Ask Manchester, I don't know.

"Now there will be press sitting outside my house tomorrow to see what I'm doing."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...unsel-about-the-vacant-manchester-united-post

:-k

Personally, I think our new manager has to be a fairly attack-minded coach but just with a decent ability to set-up a defence (at least better than Sherwood).
I think we need a coach that is not afraid to play 2 up front in at least a third of our games.

We have a lot of players who would benefit from attacking football, and, to me that rules out Benitez for us at our current stage of 'development'.
For whoever comes in they will need to show an ability to set us up to be able to beat Arsenal at home and give them a tough game (at least) away. Good results against that lot will buy him favour and time imo. The Arsenal players and hierarchy approach our games the same way: a lot of their new buys seem to put a lot of effort planning for how they're going to play in their first games against us, esp if at the Emirates.

I'd like to ask those that favour FDB: How is he different from AVB and how is he different from Lennon?
All three won multiple trophies in leagues of similar standing which are often ridiculed as not being as good/competitive as the PL so I want to know how FDB differs tactically and otherwise from those other two names.

LVG sounds like a man who knows he is being toyed with. I said to a friend a while back that UTD never really looked happy about appointing him and that if they had a chance of getting Ancelotti they would wait around. LVG knows this too and that is why he tried to push them into the deal a couple of weeks back. I know he's a legend but I don't know if I'd want the bloke here after seeing him chase after the UTD job.

I'm still stuck between FDB and Poch. Slightly leaning towards FDB.

LVG sounds like a man who knows he is being toyed with. I said to a friend a while back that UTD never really looked happy about appointing him and that if they had a chance of getting Ancelotti they would wait around. LVG knows this too and that is why he tried to push them into the deal a couple of weeks back. I know he's a legend but I don't know if I'd want the bloke here after seeing him chase after the UTD job.

I'm still stuck between FDB and Poch. Slightly leaning towards FDB.

Except that maybe he'd love nothing more than to show Man U what they missed out on.

Honestly this failure to qualify for the CL as some kind of Failure and the media driven hype and new fan entitlement has turned people like you into lunatics that see 5th and 6th place finishes with squads full of internationals as failure.

Isn't that how Levy see's it? Or at least, what he is tasked with.

I hear what you say, and you make some good points, but not hard to see how fans get in step with the clubs stated agenda.

9th manager in 13 years?

Is that you Daniel?

I'd be very happy with Poch, FDB or LVG. I fear we might have to wait a couple of weeks though until Real Madrid have won or lost the Champions league to what's happening with Ancellotti which will probably determine who United get.

Back