• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Sorry but no one is saying you need to spend £70M on a player. I think @DubaiSpur post was absolutely spot on. Leicester are the prime example to point out here, a team who are above us, in a cup final, and well established and steady. Everything we were, but no longer. Castagne is a quality full back, £16M. Tielemans was pricey at £34M, but has proven his worth. We spent that on Sissoko who's done a job, but hardly rooted up trees. James Maddison, £9m. What on earth has happened to us?

As i said before, 3 years ago we were above United and Liverpool, the fact we're a total mess with so much deadwood and looking for another manager, it's incredulous people feel the blame isn't at Levy's feet. We can keep blaming the stadium, but even when Arsenal built emirates they managed to spend at least £10m in those days on players coming in. We've become completely stagnant.

Remember when we hammered Liverpool 4-1 at home? From that starting XI, here's who's still at the club today, and not only at the club, these players are practically the same starting XI:

Lloris
Sanchez
Toby
Winks
Dele
Aurier
Kane
Son

Sub:
Dier
Sissoko

Speaks volumes that of the 14 players that were used in that match by Tottenham, 10 of those are not only still at the club, but actively in and around the first XI. That game was 22nd October 2017, so not far off being nearly 4 years ago.

That means not only have we failed to improve the squad, but the majority of players brought in, are clearly not hitting the required notes given we are still utilising most of the same players of 4 years ago.

The lack of a DoF is huge, but there is non-figuratively no one else to blame for the above but the club hierarchy. We now face a massive 2/3 year rebuild which was explained to us 2 years ago, but once again, Levy knew best. Right?
Castagne was £21M
And they sell a big player every season to fund these moves (Kante, Mahrez, Maguire, Chillwell)
But I agree with everything else

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-signs-one-year-contract-extension-until-2023

From appointing before season’s end - admittedly media rumour-mongering - to now after season’s done suggest we’ve definitely been rebuffed here.

Jesus wept. We really are an unappealing choice right now, aren’t we? I guess I should wait until we know who’s taking charge before jumping to those conclusions mind.

What’s putting people off? Board? Squad? Lack of money? Lack of autonomy? Lack of European football? Kane looking to leave? All of the above?!

All of the above. But! Surely, there are people out there that want the challenge. I'm sure Potter or the Wolfsburg lad would take it, if given the chance, for instance. Sure, you won't get everything you point at, but there's enough to work with already.

I hope Levy hires a DoF though, would make it more appealing for managers. We can't have Hitchens or Broomfield or whoever useless scouts we have out there sign the players we all know about or bricky N'clams out there. Get a statnerd in who knows what to look for.

I don’t think we have done anything other than have some conversations with a number of possible candidates
This so appointment is key for the next 3/5 years and it needs to be the right guy
No one has turned done a job they haven’t been offered
The press IMO are making up stories as they seem to do more and more now about us (we seem to have got better at keeping things quiet)
No manager is going to be a bigger name than Jose
No manager is going to be the reason Kane or sons stays. Their prospective fees and suitors are going to be.
My Leicester supporting mates still think Rogers would jump if offered, but not before a cup final. They think he is playing down everything sensibly to keep the focus on the players. The one I know up there who is ITK, domes the believe he has had any discussions with us at all
The guys from work base in Glasgow were chatting earlier and one lad who is close to Rangers said he has heard Gerrards interested ...
It’s all very much speculative IMO

Just been in a call with my Glasgow team.... lots of talk of Gerrard being the next boss

I didnt dislike Gerrard as a player, so nothing against him from his playing days, and to some extent he's a bit like Kane in staying with his club, particularly how for most of his time, he was the best player in his team and could have left.

That said, if he is our manager there will be constant speculation about when he's going to leave for Liverpool and as soon as Klopp leaves, Gerrard is nailed on to be his successor (until SG fails at Spurs).

On that basis, I'd much prefer us to get someone else in. He also hasnt done as much in his managerial career as some others, so not sure that he is the right man on that basis either

Sorry but no one is saying you need to spend £70M on a player. I think @DubaiSpur post was absolutely spot on. Leicester are the prime example to point out here, a team who are above us, in a cup final, and well established and steady. Everything we were, but no longer. Castagne is a quality full back, £16M. Tielemans was pricey at £34M, but has proven his worth. We spent that on Sissoko who's done a job, but hardly rooted up trees. James Maddison, £9m. What on earth has happened to us?

As i said before, 3 years ago we were above United and Liverpool, the fact we're a total mess with so much deadwood and looking for another manager, it's incredulous people feel the blame isn't at Levy's feet. We can keep blaming the stadium, but even when Arsenal built emirates they managed to spend at least £10m in those days on players coming in. We've become completely stagnant.

Remember when we hammered Liverpool 4-1 at home? From that starting XI, here's who's still at the club today, and not only at the club, these players are practically the same starting XI:

Lloris
Sanchez
Toby
Winks
Dele
Aurier
Kane
Son

Sub:
Dier
Sissoko

Speaks volumes that of the 14 players that were used in that match by Tottenham, 10 of those are not only still at the club, but actively in and around the first XI. That game was 22nd October 2017, so not far off being nearly 4 years ago.

That means not only have we failed to improve the squad, but the majority of players brought in, are clearly not hitting the required notes given we are still utilising most of the same players of 4 years ago.

The lack of a DoF is huge, but there is non-figuratively no one else to blame for the above but the club hierarchy. We now face a massive 2/3 year rebuild which was explained to us 2 years ago, but once again, Levy knew best. Right?

Yes, there are 10 players still here, but at best 5 of them would start. Since then -> Ndombele, Lo Celso, Reguilon, PEH, Bergwijn, Lucas (2018), so pretty much a 50% refresh of first team.

It's a bit of myth that we haven't bought players, the issue is squad, fudging Rose and CCV are still on our books.

People keep saying we need a DoF to buy players, I think we need a DoF to get rid of them ..

Gerrard’s a really interesting candidate. I know I’ll get shouted down for this - given everyone’s hate for the bindippers and his obvious love for them - but I think he could end up being very, very successful somewhere. Something very steely about him that’s surprised me about his management style and very impressed with what he’s managed with Rangers on a limited budget.

I really think he could drive a big culture shift in a way that’s demonstrates empathy to the modern player.

I didnt dislike Gerrard as a player, so nothing against him from his playing days, and to some extent he's a bit like Kane in staying with his club, particularly how for most of his time, he was the best player in his team and could have left.

That said, if he is our manager there will be constant speculation about when he's going to leave for Liverpool and as soon as Klopp leaves, Gerrard is nailed on to be his successor (until SG fails at Spurs).

On that basis, I'd much prefer us to get someone else in. He also hasnt done as much in his managerial career as some others, so not sure that he is the right man on that basis either
Very fair point. The media would constantly be asking when is he joining Liverpool.

I don’t think we have done anything other than have some conversations with a number of possible candidates
This so appointment is key for the next 3/5 years and it needs to be the right guy
No one has turned done a job they haven’t been offered
The press IMO are making up stories as they seem to do more and more now about us (we seem to have got better at keeping things quiet)
No manager is going to be a bigger name than Jose
No manager is going to be the reason Kane or sons stays. Their prospective fees and suitors are going to be.
My Leicester supporting mates still think Rogers would jump if offered, but not before a cup final. They think he is playing down everything sensibly to keep the focus on the players. The one I know up there who is ITK, domes the believe he has had any discussions with us at all
The guys from work base in Glasgow were chatting earlier and one lad who is close to Rangers said he has heard Gerrards interested ...
It’s all very much speculative IMO

I think two things

- We have nothing but speculation
- People actually think managers give a fudge if the job is attractive, club is organized, etc? See Ancelotti's comments, i.e. he's been fired from every job he ever had ..

Spurs is a high profile job that pays well (usually in top pay range for managers), there will be plenty of interest

Gerrard’s a really interesting candidate. I know I’ll get shouted down for this - given everyone’s hate for the bindippers and his obvious love for them - but I think he could end up being very, very successful somewhere. Something very steely about him that’s surprised me about his management style and very impressed with what he’s managed with Rangers on a limited budget.

I really think he could drive a big culture shift in a way that’s demonstrates empathy to the modern player.

If you are going to throw him in then what do you think of Jindřich Trpišovský who knocked Gerrard out of the Europe.

If we are gonna give it to an inexperienced manager still learning on the job we might as well stick with Mason.

However there is an opportunity here to get in Rangnick. If Levy can just take a step back move his office out of the training ground, get rid of Hitchen and allow Rangnick to do with Tottenham what he has done with the RB clubs we will end up the best run club in the League.

Yes, there are 10 players still here, but at best 5 of them would start. Since then -> Ndombele, Lo Celso, Reguilon, PEH, Bergwijn, Lucas (2018), so pretty much a 50% refresh of first team.

It's a bit of myth that we haven't bought players, the issue is squad, fudging Rose and CCV are still on our books.

People keep saying we need a DoF to buy players, I think we need a DoF to get rid of them ..

We literally just played a Cup final where on top of the 5 you have highlighted, Winks started, Dele came off the bench, Dier started, and Sissoko came off the bench. So in one 90 minute game, our biggest of the season, of the 11 players allowed on the pitch, 9 of those players involved from 2017 were there...

Edit: And on top of that, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Reguilon, PEH, Bergwijn, Lucas were all available. My point is, our whole transfer policy been a brick show, including moving people on. And that's Levy's fault.

Last edited:
The world must surely realise Mourinho is a busted flush (and has long been). George Graham never worked again after us, and Fabio Capello couldn't get a big job after England. When that dinosaur tag hits, you can't really shake it off.

I doubt he'll ever manage again in England but unless he retires, I'm pretty sure he'll be back somewhere before too long. He was a measuring stick for a whole generation of managers and I'm pretty sure that, to a lot of outsiders, his failure at Spurs is down to the club. I could be wrong, of course (quite frankly, I couldn't care less if he stays out of work or not) but I'm willing to bet he'll end up at a club like Lyon or some Italian also-ran in the near future.

One positive may be that if we are really desperate to get Rodgers and he agrees, he'll come with a list of demands that will shake up things behind the scenes as well.

Just read that Flick is interested but we haven't approached him.

I couldn't agree more. I think that most of signings over the last few years have been good. The issue has been not moving on players and having a manager who can't get the best out if them.

Back