• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Stadium and Training Ground - Pg 104 Northumberland Park master plan

Re: New stadium and training ground thread - Pg 74 Haringey Council plans 2025

Read in the telegraph he's looking at various leisure takeovers (timeweave - the latest)

But more likely to be Hurricane dodging with Bermuda in line for a hit from Leslie.

'Cept that he is Bahamas based.

Over 900 miles away :)

And lesie was downgraded.

Al Thani is in London

Is this the same Al Thani that bankrolled Malaga and then withdrew funding or another of the same family?

We've just had an incredibly successful Olympics/Paralympics and the country is buzzing and positive about all things connected. The stadium itself, was praised for atmosphere, but when you take out all the Olympic paraphernalia (cauldron, flags), it's still a pretty unremarkable building. The THFC bid was largely about location, more than anything else.

So I was just wondering.... How would our bid look - knocking down the Olympic Stadium and rebuilding Crystal Palace - look if tabled now? I'm more thinking of the general public perception over the whole "Say No To Stratford" debate. Personally I was one who would prefer to stay in N17 but I am more interested right now in whether there would be general public support or opposition for what we wanted to do.

I could see that the outcry about smashing down an "icon" would be bigger now than it was a year ago. But then again people surely are a lot more serious about a true and sustainable athletics legacy.

Last edited:

We've just had an incredibly successful Olympics/Paralympics and the country is buzzing and positive about all things connected. The stadium itself, was praised for atmosphere, but when you take out all the Olympic paraphernalia (cauldron, flags), it's still a pretty unremarkable building. The THFC bid was largely about location, more than anything else.

So I was just wondering.... How would our bid look - knocking down the Olympic Stadium and rebuilding Crystal Palace - look if tabled now? I'm more thinking of the general public perception over the whole "Say No To Stratford" debate. Personally I was one who would prefer to stay in N17 but I am more interested right now in whether there would be general public support or opposition for what we wanted to do.

I could see that the outcry about smashing down an "icon" would be bigger now than it was a year ago. But then again people surely are a lot more serious about a true and sustainable athletics legacy.

I've been saying this for years. The Olympic Stadium isn't anything special at all. Nowhere near as impressive as The Birds Nest stadium in Beijing.

I've been saying this for years. The Olympic Stadium isn't anything special at all. Nowhere near as impressive as The Birds Nest stadium in Beijing.

The point isn't the quality of the architecture but rather the legacy of the building.

Spurs proposed to send British Athletics packing back to the inaccessible and limiting backwater that is Crystal Palace. And that would have been totally unacceptable to the British people after the stunning success of both the Olympics and the Paralympics.

P.S. The London Olympic stadium was very deliberately designed not to be a massively expensive architectural statement. For starters, unlike Beijing, London had nothing to prove to the world. Unlike Beijing, it was already one of the world's alpha cities (not to mention the fact that it already has more than enough big stadiums). Additionally, one of London 2012's core themes was legacy and sustainability. The Bird's Nest might be mightily impressive (though it isn't anything like as intimate and good an experience for spectators) but it is now nothing more than a visitor attraction. The London Olympic stadium, by contrast, was designed to be two thirds temporary, with only one third remaining as an athletics stadium.

It was only after politicians performed a u-turn that it was decided to maintain the stadium more or less as is.

Last edited:

The point isn't the quality of the architecture but rather the legacy of the building.

Spurs proposed to send British Athletics packing back to the inaccessible and limiting backwater that is Crystal Palace. And that would have been totally unacceptable to the British people after the stunning success of both the Olympics and the Paralympics.

P.S. The London Olympic stadium was very deliberately designed not to be a massively expensive architectural statement. For starters, unlike Beijing, London had nothing to prove to the world. Unlike Beijing, it was already one of the world's alpha cities (not to mention the fact that it already has more than enough big stadiums). Additionally, one of London 2012's core themes was legacy and sustainability. The Bird's Nest might be mightily impressive (though it isn't anything like as intimate and good an experience for spectators) but it is now nothing more than a visitor attraction. The London Olympic stadium, by contrast, was designed to be two thirds temporary, with only one third remaining as an athletics stadium.

It was only after politicians performed a u-turn that it was decided to maintain the stadium more or less as is.

How can this be? If the stadium was designed to be temporary, more or less, how can it now be deemed suitable to be considered permanent?

How can this be? If the stadium was designed to be temporary, more or less, how can it now be deemed suitable to be considered permanent?

I'm not an engineer or an architect. So not the best person to answer your question!

But the word "temporary", in this context, doesn't mean inferior or in any way less durable. It simply means that it was designed to be easily and environmentally soundly deconstructed, with a lightweight roof and with the excess steel / seating etc to be recycled into other construction and stadium projects.

It's one of the reasons why the upper tier has no facilities, I believe.

I'm not an engineer or an architect. So not the best person to answer your question!

But the word "temporary", in this context, doesn't mean inferior or in any way less durable. It simply means that it was designed to be easily and environmentally soundly deconstructed, with a lightweight roof and with the excess steel / seating etc to be recycled into other construction and stadium projects.
It's one of the reasons why the upper tier has no facilities, I believe.

The Olympic stadium was built to have an expected lifespan of approximately 25 years, it is very much a steel and plastic wrap based structure and as such it wont have the longevity of a traditionally built stadium, below is an extract from the link below.

"The temporary seating either side of the centre roof is made from steel and phthalate-free (the chemical which gives plastic it rigidity) PVC wrap.
Low-flow showers and hand basin taps, and low-flush toilets will help the building save 29% on water over its 25-year lifespan"

See link below .........

http://www.rtcc.org/living/london-2012-olympics-a-story-of-sustainable-architecture/

Part of the stadium is permanent, part temporary. The lower tier is permanent and one early (the original?) plan had that forming a 25k athletics stadium after the games. The remaining 55k of the seating at the Olympic stadium was designed to be a temporary structure and built of parts that could be used elsewhere. The temporary refers to the assembly, not the components themselves.

The current plan is to convert to a 60k stadium, although I don't think details have been released. The lower tier will remain so the upper tier will have 35k seats instead of 55k. I don't see how they can just remove some of the Olympic stadium and it will need a permanent and complete roof anyway. So I assume the current upper tier will be completely disassembled and a new upper tier and roof built, possibly reusing some of the materials.

I think the stadium has served its purpose well. It provided an atmospheric venue for the sports and the spectacular backdrop to the opening and closing ceremonies were provided through use of light. There really would have been nothing gained by building a grand architectural edifice with no post-games function.

The Olympic stadium was built to have an expected lifespan of approximately 25 years, it is very much a steel and plastic wrap based structure and as such it wont have the longevity of a traditionally built stadium, below is an extract from the link below.

"The temporary seating either side of the centre roof is made from steel and phthalate-free (the chemical which gives plastic it rigidity) PVC wrap.
Low-flow showers and hand basin taps, and low-flush toilets will help the building save 29% on water over its 25-year lifespan"

See link below .........

http://www.rtcc.org/living/london-2012-olympics-a-story-of-sustainable-architecture/

Good find.

However, since the decision was made to keep the upper tier intact, I have seen comments from various "experts" claiming that the stadium could have a lifespan of 50 years plus. And, in truth, that is all that any stadium is likely to have before becoming obsolete.

The plastic wrap is purely cosmetic. The stadium doesn't need it. The roof probably isn't built to last but it will be replaced as part of the immediate conversion anyway. As to the steel, many stadiums / stands are built with it. So there's no reason why the Olympic stadium shouldn't last as long.

Part of the stadium is permanent, part temporary. The lower tier is permanent and one early (the original?) plan had that forming a 25k athletics stadium after the games. The remaining 55k of the seating at the Olympic stadium was designed to be a temporary structure and built of parts that could be used elsewhere. The temporary refers to the assembly, not the components themselves.

The current plan is to convert to a 60k stadium, although I don't think details have been released. The lower tier will remain so the upper tier will have 35k seats instead of 55k. I don't see how they can just remove some of the Olympic stadium and it will need a permanent and complete roof anyway. So I assume the current upper tier will be completely disassembled and a new upper tier and roof built, possibly reusing some of the materials.

I think the stadium has served its purpose well. It provided an atmospheric venue for the sports and the spectacular backdrop to the opening and closing ceremonies were provided through use of light. There really would have been nothing gained by building a grand architectural edifice with no post-games function.

From what I understand, the capacity will be reduced simply by screening off some of the seats directly behind the goals - rather as happened at the Barcelona Olympic stadium when Espanol played there. The upper tier structure will not be altered but, as you say, a new (much bigger) roof will be installed - which will also mean the sad (IMO) loss of the somewhat iconic floodlights.

I must admit that I watched the closing ceremony last night and I've visited the stadium and my opinion is that West Ham and Leyton Orient should ground share. If they can keep the lighting and general structure similar to as it already stands then it will be an impressive football stadium, regardless of the loss of atmosphere from having a running track.

From what I understand, the capacity will be reduced simply by screening off some of the seats directly behind the goals - rather as happened at the Barcelona Olympic stadium when Espanol played there. The upper tier structure will not be altered but, as you say, a new (much bigger) roof will be installed - which will also mean the sad (IMO) loss of the somewhat iconic floodlights.

Thanks for all the replies.

If you ask me the olympic park is so vast that you could fit 2 stadiums into the area if planned effectively.

25 years seems long time for a temporary structure.
what about the new WHL? how long is it build to last for and will it be considered green.
i doubt the players will appreciate the "low flow" showers!

That sounds a terrible solution. You want the crowd all around unless its something special like Braga.

The plan talked about reconfiguring as a 60k stadium. Surely they mean to do more than screen off 20k seats as it would still be an 80k stadium but with 20k seats with no sight-line. I'm not saying you are wrong as I don't know what they intend, but it seemed like they were planning to do more than screen off some seats and replace the roof.

There was also talk of adding corporate facilities as part of the reconfiguring. I suppose these could an be tacked on behind the existing structure. Or maybe they could use the space behind the screens.

West Ham cant make too many permanent changes because of the World Athletics champs due to be held at the Olympic stadium in 2017

West Ham cant make too many permanent changes because of the World Athletics champs due to be held at the Olympic stadium in 2017

I don't think West Ham will make the changes.

The way I understood it that the legacy company (or whoever will run the stadium) will make the conversion to a 60k stadium, which will be suitable for the World Championships, and will consider various bids for its use. Its not really clear if they have a definite plan already or will tailor it to whoever wins the bid to be tenant.

There was also talk of adding corporate facilities as part of the reconfiguring. I suppose these could an be tacked on behind the existing structure. Or maybe they could use the space behind the screens.

This is the important part for any prospective tenant. Corporate seats can generate anyting up to 80% of a stadium's revenue these days.

Back