• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Stadium and Training Ground - Pg 104 Northumberland Park master plan

I agree. Bearing in mind we have only had one season in the CL in our history, I'm quite sure any plans/budget for the stadium would not be reliant on CL earnings.
That money would just be an added bonus, I'd like to think so anyway, otherwise, as you say it would idiotic

If I recall, when Spurs started muteing about the new ground it was budgeted for normal football, and CL would be an added bonus and would also help clear debt quicker.

It would be beyond naive and into the realms of idiocy to embark on a project like this assuming we could rely on CL money.

I think Levy is better than that

But after initially being told the project would be completed this year we were later be told the project was unviable and the only option for Spurs was to move to Stratford. So who knows what the truth is.

Arsenal initially struggled with the debt financing of the Emirates. As mentioned elsewhere they budgeted for being in the CL 8 out of 10 seasons while the stadium is paid off. Add to that the Highbury Square development and the fact they sell their best players every year and it begs the question how Spurs will cope with a ?ú400m project.

Perhaps part of the answer is that Arsenal underestimated the value of stadium naming rights and sold them on the cheap. But there must be more to it than that. It's anyones guess as to the real truth about the NDP.

But after initially being told the project would be completed this year we were later be told the project was unviable and the only option for Spurs was to move to Stratford. So who knows what the truth is.

Arsenal initially struggled with the debt financing of the Emirates. As mentioned elsewhere they budgeted for being in the CL 8 out of 10 seasons while the stadium is paid off. Add to that the Highbury Square development and the fact they sell their best players every year and it begs the question how Spurs will cope with a ?ú400m project.

Perhaps part of the answer is that Arsenal underestimated the value of stadium naming rights and sold them on the cheap. But there must be more to it than that. It's anyones guess as to the real truth about the NDP.

The part about Arsenal budgeting for 8 out of 10 Champions League seasons is totally wrong, no football club especially a well run club like Arsenal who have always been very careful with their finances would take such an idiotic gamble on their future by relying on Champions League football money, that simply isn't true.

It was clearly stated on many occasions before the Emirates stadium was built, that Arsenal needed an average attendance of 40,000 or so to enable them to pay off their stadium debt on schedule, they have in fact paid it off at a much faster rate than was expected due to the fact that they have been able to play Champions League football on a regular basis and a favorable restructuring of their stadium loan.

Last edited:

I think we're better off organising the financing in 2012 rather than back when Arse did their stadium. There was a lot of voodoo economics floating around in those days - GHod knows how weirdly structured the Arse deal is. I think financing today is more likely to be sustainable and low-ish risk, which is a comfort. Also, it would have been kind of nuts to try and do any of this during the financial chaos of 2008-2012.

In a somewhat conservative scenario, ?ú40 x 20,000 seats x 20 games per season x 20 years = ?ú320,000,000. That envisages a short mortgage term, and discounts most corporate income and other non matchday income. That is a large part of the cost in itself just through the presence of the extra seats.

It was about timing. Arsenal planned funding for their eventual stadium too late, and the financial crisis had realised ... so there was little or no sponsorship monies and all those property development sales went awry. i'd bet building it was a nightmare with the lack of credit during that time, so suppliers/contractors were always on the brink of folding.

Having said that I think Levy is dragging out our stadium build after seeing how badly it can go. hence his focus on reducing exposure on funding, and dragging out sponsorship deals when the only way for the financial markets and economy is up.

The part about Arsenal budgeting for 8 out of 10 Champions League seasons is totally wrong, no football club especially a well run club like Arsenal who have always been very careful with their finances would take such an idiotic gamble on their future by relying on Champions League football money, that simply isn't true.

It was clearly stated on many occasions before the Emirates stadium was built, that Arsenal needed an average attendance of 40,000 or so to enable them to pay off their stadium debt on schedule, they have in fact paid it off at a much faster rate than was expected due to the fact that they have been able to play Champions League football on a regular basis and a favorable restructuring of their stadium loan.

Not in the eyes or the words of their chairman it's not.

He didn't say that they'd collapse and go bankrupt if they failed 3 times in a decade, merely that they can lose out on qualification twice in a decade before it begins to impact on player transfers/wages.

It was about timing. Arsenal planned funding for their eventual stadium too late, and the financial crisis had realised ... so there was little or no sponsorship monies and all those property development sales went awry. i'd bet building it was a nightmare with the lack of credit during that time, so suppliers/contractors were always on the brink of folding.

Having said that I think Levy is dragging out our stadium build after seeing how badly it can go. hence his focus on reducing exposure on funding, and dragging out sponsorship deals when the only way for the financial markets and economy is up.

how is easy would it be for billionaire Joe Lewis to write out a cheque for 300 mill and have Spurs pay it back over the next 20 years

how is easy would it be for billionaire Joe Lewis to write out a cheque for 300 mill and have Spurs pay it back over the next 20 years

And then get front-loaded stadium sponsorship and have an entertaining transfer window...

I can dream...

Could be wrong, but I seriously doubt Joe Lewis has 300 million in cash lying around to loan to Spurs. Like most billionaires, his money will be tied up in assets of one sort or another (property, bonds, equities, etc.) and he's unlikely to have more than a few million in cash - given the current rock-bottom interest rates, cash isn't generating much of an income by itself. So, from a business standpoint, if Joe Lewis were to loan Spurs 300 million, he'd need to liquidate a chunk of his investment portfolio which would almost certainly end up costing him money. And given that he's at Spurs to make money first and foremost (unlike the owners of Chelsea or Emirates Marketing Project, for example) that's not likely to happen.

I think he "only" has about ?ú2 billion. A new stadium would cost us ?ú400m. That alone is a massive percentage of the guy's wealth.

I don't know what his role is at Spurs, but I would guess it is significant maybe as some kind of guarantor. That's all we should need anyway, if we are supposed to be generating our own money as a business?

I worked out the other day it would cost about ?ú1 billion investment to make us the best club in Europe, performance-wise. Half for the stadium, ?ú200m on 5 mega players, the rest on the increased wages. Not as much as City, but that's because we are starting for a better place than them. The great thing is, alot of infrastructure is there in terms of first team, squad and youth setup, training ground, and worldwide marketting.

Could be wrong, but I seriously doubt Joe Lewis has 300 million in cash lying around to loan to Spurs. Like most billionaires, his money will be tied up in assets of one sort or another (property, bonds, equities, etc.) and he's unlikely to have more than a few million in cash - given the current rock-bottom interest rates, cash isn't generating much of an income by itself. So, from a business standpoint, if Joe Lewis were to loan Spurs 300 million, he'd need to liquidate a chunk of his investment portfolio which would almost certainly end up costing him money. And given that he's at Spurs to make money first and foremost (unlike the owners of Chelsea or Emirates Marketing Project, for example) that's not likely to happen.

leave me alone in my belief that when he puts his atm card in the machine, and checks his balance, it reads 500,000,000:)

The sheikh is planning to do so anyway as CoMS isn't suited to their purposes, ie. corporate facilities.

i think they want to increase capacity, and dont have any restrictions to stop them, but they wont build a brand new stadium. Their development plans are for the surrounding area, new training centre plus pitches, youth academy, small stadium to host reserve/important youth games

i think they want to increase capacity, and dont have any restrictions to stop them, but they wont build a brand new stadium. Their development plans are for the surrounding area, new training centre plus pitches, youth academy, small stadium to host reserve/important youth games

'The club's agreement with Emirates Marketing Project Council in March 2010 allows redevelopment around the stadium and possible stadium expansion to 60,000.[68] This increase in capacity could be achieved by adding a third tier of seats to the north and south stands so that they match the east and west stands.'

They have a restriction of 60k at the moment, though i doubt it would truly be difficult to get this 'limit' increased..

Early on there were plans for a new massive 80K, maybe even 100K, stadium. After struggling to sell out as it is they probably changed their mind a bit.

Back