• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Stadium and Training Ground - Pg 104 Northumberland Park master plan

Says:

something that has convinced Vertonghan to join without speaking to other clubs, something that has encouraged Bale to sign his new contract as well as convince Siggurdson and AVB that we have a very bright future ahead of us

Erm, Gylfi and Jan are hardly Messi and Baresi, and AVB needed a gig and got the best one on offer in Europe. Bale knows he has time on his side.

None of those manoeuvres need be a sign of anything. In fact, they are all rather mundane and predictable events. If something BIG was happening it'd be Pep and Neymar, with Modric re-signing.

In other words, what a load of gonad*s.

Says:

Erm, Gylfi and Jan are hardly Messi and Baresi, and AVB needed a gig and got the best one on offer in Europe. Bale knows he has time on his side.

None of those manoeuvres need be a sign of anything. In fact, they are all rather mundane and predictable events. If something BIG was happening it'd be Pep and Neymar, with Modric re-signing.

In other words, what a load of gonad*s.

Pretty much this, with the addendum that perhaps there is something by way of increased funding for the stadium being worked out.

Thinking just of cash gained from a sponsorship if the current ground, and I don't think we'll bag anywhere near £400m for that!

Let's say say Beko offer us £40m for two years to rename WHL as the Beko Arena, would you go for that, as an investment towards the news ground?

Of course - it will always be White hart Lane no matter what sign they put up. Thats £40m for nothing IMO

If the current WHL, as it stands, is given a corporate name and sign? Would you no longer call it WHL? It is and always would be IMO, the £40m would just be for more sponsorship rubbish around the ground - not like we havent seen enough of that before....

POTL on COYS:

Just a note on The TG, keep being asked about it. The lads will return to the lodge on Monday and upon return from the American tour will be at the new TG, few more bits to do yet.

Why cant they just call it 'White Hart Lane in association with Lloyds' for example,or 'The Lloyds sponsored White Hart Lane'
this way everyone is happy,we get to call it WHL (lets face it we will anyway)and the sponsors get their name in lights,and in all the TV and newspapper coverage. Win win.

The difference between us and other clubs who've moved stadium is that the Arse can't call the Emirates "Highbury" and Man. City can't call the Ethiad "Maine Road". Neither makes any sense. But Spurs fans can very easily refer to the Aurasma Arena as "White Hart Lane". The exact same location, the same surrounding roads that name the ends, some retained historical features from the site of the old stadium, same approaches, car parks, undergrounds, pubs, kebab shops. All those things make a stadium what it is and we have them all still in place.

In truth, WHL has never stayed the same architecturally for more than a few years before some stand or terrace has been changed, meaning the specific architecture in any era's version of the stadium doesn't in itself define "WHL". In fact, in a perverse sense the actual "buildings" are the least of it because they change so often. We still have all the things in place that really make WHL "WHL".

On top of that, it helps greatly that the design of the new WHL is reminiscent and in keeping with previous incarnations of the stadium, as evidenced in the pic above (from the 50's I think?). Which is to say, high, upright stands that enclose the pitch. That general concept is seen in very many historical shots you see of the ground, and that includes up to the present day version. Seems to me the new design is very much in this tradition and should be every bit as much "WHL" as versions of the stadium of yore.

The difference between us and other clubs who've moved stadium is that the Arse can't call the Emirates "Highbury" and Man. City can't call the Ethiad "Maine Road". Neither makes any sense. But Spurs fans can very easily refer to the Aurasma Arena as "White Hart Lane". The exact same location, the same surrounding roads that name the ends, some retained historical features from the site of the old stadium, same approaches, car parks, undergrounds, pubs, kebab shops. All those things make a stadium what it is and we have them all still in place.

In truth, WHL has never stayed the same architecturally for more than a few years before some stand or terrace has been changed, meaning the specific architecture in any era's version of the stadium doesn't in itself define "WHL". In fact, in a perverse sense the actual "buildings" are the least of it because they change so often. We still have all the things in place that really make WHL "WHL".

On top of that, it helps greatly that the design of the new WHL is reminiscent and in keeping with previous incarnations of the stadium, as evidenced in the pic above (from the 50's I think?). Which is to say, high, upright stands that enclose the pitch. That general concept is seen in very many historical shots you see of the ground, and that includes up to the present day version. Seems to me the new design is very much in this tradition and should be every bit as much "WHL" as versions of the stadium of yore.

I agree about the feel of the stadium, just looking at this picture and you can feel a certain resemblance to WHL
Stadium.jpg

Maybe its the yellow boards, the prominent placement of the executive boxes, or the fact that WHL has been shaped into an enclosed arena rather than having spaces in the corners.

However, I think the way in which the ground is refered to in the media and by the club will shape what is said and there is the danger it will eventually rub off.
You have to remember that the offical channels have to stick to whatever is being sold, so if it is Beko Dome its the Beko Dome. If its called White Hart Lane sponsored by Beko then it gives us a bit of hope, but why would Beko agree to that? (Using Beko as an example, no ITK by any means :) ). The whole point of naming rights is the name. And if you are spending £200m on something, you should be expecting to get exactly what you want.

This is the world we live in, and we either accept it and move on or rebel, make a stand, and tolerate the loses. How far do we go if someone is prepared to pay the buck? Change the kit to red if a chinese company come calling? Are we willing to rename the club "Total Network Solutions"? Both horrific concepts but they have happened already and will become more commonplace. So the question is, how far do we compromise?

No chance do I want us to have even a splash of red in a shirt again. The name should never be changed. But the new stadium, when we get there, the name's not a deal breaker and there are plenty of clubs who already do it for it not to sound odd. I just hope its not something ridiculous like the "KFC Bargain Bucket Park". But if it is, so long as the colonel gives us a few hundred million quid, we can live with it.

Fears aside, I'll still try to refer to it as White Hart Lane, and hopefully that will last. Some AFC Bournemouth fans still refer to their club as "Boscombe"......and although it's not picked up on in popular press, lots of our own still cheer on the "Lilywhites". And we've got our own song "Spurs are on the way to Wembley........ the boys from White Hart Lane".....unique to THFC and guaranteed to be sung in our triumphant 2021 FA Cup campaign, regardless of where "home" is.

Why cant they just call it 'White Hart Lane in association with Lloyds' for example,or 'The Lloyds sponsored White Hart Lane'
this way everyone is happy,we get to call it WHL (lets face it we will anyway)and the sponsors get their name in lights,and in all the TV and newspapper coverage. Win win.

There's nothing stopping us from having two names:

1. the official name like 'Ashburton Grove' and then,
  2. a name which comes about from securing naming rights 'Emirates Stadium'.

If the current WHL, as it stands, is given a corporate name and sign? Would you no longer call it WHL? It is and always would be IMO, the £40m would just be for more sponsorship rubbish around the ground - not like we havent seen enough of that before....

I did post the question last night - up till now the discussion has been about the new stadium but I think its been mooted that there may be a deal for the current stadium in the offing, along the lines of Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Just so long as whoever is paying good money, I'd say we should just live with it if it means a big chunk towards the new stadium. And yes, I think in most peoples eyes it will remain White Hart Lane more so that SportsDirect.comArena is St James Park.

There's nothing stopping us from having two names:

1. the official name like 'Ashburton Grove' and then,
  2. a name which comes about from securing naming rights 'Emirates Stadium'.

Quick quiz then:

Who plays at

Ashburton Grove
Senegal Fields
Eastlands

Bonus point - which stadium hosted the 2012 Champions League Final?

I don't think the answer to all of those is obvious to everyone, although I don't doubt that there are people who could quickly get 4/4.
But the point is, original stadium site names are lost once a sponsorship deal is announced, and even those names are temporary and quickly can be changed.

Personally I would actually be happiest if the new stadium was called "Northumberland Park" and "White Hart Lane" consigned to history. Not that I'm wanting to be rid of it, I love the place and it has special memories for me, always will. But sometimes you have to move on.

Last edited:
Will still be White Hart Lane.

As somebody posted months ago, the stadium will actually be nearer, albeit a 100yds, to the actual Lane itself

I did post the question last night - up till now the discussion has been about the new stadium but I think its been mooted that there may be a deal for the current stadium in the offing, along the lines of Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Just so long as whoever is paying good money, I'd say we should just live with it if it means a big chunk towards the new stadium. And yes, I think in most peoples eyes it will remain White Hart Lane more so that SportsDirect.comArena is St James Park.

I would think that highly, highly, highly unlikely.

I just can't see why any sponsor would wish to put its name to a stadium which, let's be honest about it, is earmarked for imminent demolition. St James Park secured a naming rights deal as it's not - and probably ever - going to be demolished; more likely expanded.

But Levy is a wheeler-dealer, so I wouldn't put anything past him. This would be quite some stretch though.

I just can't see why any sponsor would wish to put its name to a stadium which, let's be honest about it, is earmarked for imminent demolition. St James Park secured a naming rights deal as it's not - and probably ever - going to be demolished; more likely expanded.

But Levy is a wheeler-dealer, so I wouldn't put anything past him. This would be quite some stretch though.

...and would no doubt attract the type of negative media attention seen at St. James Park. Would any brand really want to expose themselves for such a short term opportunity?

I agree on all of what you've posted.

But here's a scenario..... big company (lets say Beko) agree deal for stadium due to be completed in 3 years time - the Beko Arena. We ourselves need that sort of agreement. Naming rights worth say £200m, and as a small added clause, maybe for a bit more cash or maybe just a sweetener to seal the deal, naming rights also included for current ground.

Beko won't want there to be two Beko Arenas, they want the new ground to be a new product and something to get excited about. They also wont want to get on the wrong side of Spurs fans by insisting on Beko Stadium instead of WHL etc

2012-2015 - "White Hart Lane sponsored by Beko". Or "Beko White Hart Lane".
2015+ - "Beko Arena"

Still unlikely, but like you say wheeler dealer Levy.
More likely a big company will be announced as monster sponsors, shirt deal for 10 years and 7 years of stadium name rights etc.

Back