• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Stadium and Training Ground - Pg 104 Northumberland Park master plan

NBA STAR IMPRESSED BY HOTSPUR WAY

Posted 17 January 2013 3:04pm

NBA legend Jason Kidd took a look around our new Training Facility and admitted: “It makes me want to be a soccer player!”

A veteran of the NBA who began his career almost 20 years ago, Kidd is a 10-time NBA All Star player who finally won the NBA with Dallas Mavericks in 2011 before moving to New York Knicks for the 2012-13 season. He’s also a double Olympic champion with the USA.

Kidd is in London with the Knicks for a regular season NBA match against the Detroit Pistons taking place at the O2 Arena tonight.

He took time out to visit Hotspur Way alongside another NBA legend and Olympic gold medallist, Allan Houston, a two-time NBA All Star who was forced to retire due to a knee injury in 2005. He’s now the Knicks’ Assistant General Manager.

“The facilities are unbelievable and there are some of the best players in the world here,” said Jason. “It makes our facility look like...we need to re-do it! You guys have a beautiful home here. It makes me want to be a soccer player!”

Just like NFL star Joe Staley of the 49ers, who visited us during our pre-season camp in San Jose in 2010 and then watched us train at Spurs Lodge last year, Jason was keen to take in how other sportsmen work on a day-to-day basis – not least the intense nature of our training sessions, short, sharp bursts so familiar to basketball players.

“Watching training has been great,” he said. “It’s a little cold, but this is football at its best.”

Knicks have started well and top the Atlantic Division of NBA’s Eastern Conference – standings are based on winning percentage in the NBA – and have the second-best record behind Miami Heat in the 15 teams that make up the Eastern Conference.

Pistons are currently fourth in the Central Division.

“This game in London is huge for us and the NBA, especially with the Olympics being here in the summer,” said Jason, referencing another gold medal win for the US in last summer’s Olympics, the final against Spain staged at the O2.

“The Knicks are playing really well right now and this is a great time to showcase our sport. All the players really like London, although we’re lucky the game is inside, so we don’t have to deal with the weather!

“The biggest thing is for people here to see a game of basketball played at the very highest level. Hopefully, the fans will be entertained.”

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/nba-star-impressed-by-hotspur-way-17012013.page?

Jason was keen to take in how other sportsmen work on a day-to-day basis – not least the intense nature of our training sessions, short, sharp bursts so familiar to basketball players.

Often when I see a video of us training it looks fairly pedestrian, standing around waiting for a chance to take one shot at a disinterested keeper, and then join the back of the queue and wait your next to turn for a pot at goal. Or players walking around idly doing keepy uppies. Both of these seem very 1970s, e.g. in the video accompanying that piece above they cross the ball and the striker has all the time to take 2 or 3 touches and beat the keeper, which is nothing like reality at all.

Often when I see a video of us training it looks fairly pedestrian, standing around waiting for a chance to take one shot at a disinterested keeper, and then join the back of the queue and wait your next to turn for a pot at goal. Or players walking around idly doing keepy uppies. Both of these seem very 1970s, e.g. in the video accompanying that piece above they cross the ball and the striker has all the time to take 2 or 3 touches and beat the keeper, which is nothing like reality at all.

I went to the training ground a couple of years ago and was amazed by the intensity. People flying in for challenges and all sorts.

yeah when proper training begins the cameras must go of

Article on the Club website with levy being bullish about plans for delivering the stadium,"We are ever ambitious for the Club, driving all areas of the business and our focus continues to be the delivery of an increased capacity stadium. There is much work to be done refining the detailed design and resolving the final development issues. We intend to deliver this to the same high standards of the new Training Centre and to reward our incredibly loyal supporters with a world class stadium and one that will have made a crucial contribution to the regeneration of a priority borough in London."
If you worked for the Council, You wouldn't want to have to negotiate against him, would you?

Article on the Club website with levy being bullish about plans for delivering the stadium,"We are ever ambitious for the Club, driving all areas of the business and our focus continues to be the delivery of an increased capacity stadium. There is much work to be done refining the detailed design and resolving the final development issues. We intend to deliver this to the same high standards of the new Training Centre and to reward our incredibly loyal supporters with a world class stadium and one that will have made a crucial contribution to the regeneration of a priority borough in London."
If you worked for the Council, You wouldn't want to have to negotiate against him, would you?

Great stuff, not a word about funding whatsoever. :)

Unfortunatley I drive past it on matchday, and cannot take photo's. Hopefully others will be able too.

Its amazing how fast these Supermarket steel frame structures go up.

Last edited:
Unfortunatley I drive past it on matchday, and cannot take photo's. Hopefully others will be able too.

Its amazing how fast these Supermarket steel frame structures go up.

Yes,the frames are up in no time thesedays. Will be good to see soon approximately where the back of the new North stand will be

Some people really are clueless when it comes to taking pictures!

Whoever took this one, why not flip his / her phone sideways so that the picture doesn't consist of 70% sky and tarmac and only 30% supermarket?

He / she might then have been able to fit 100% of the supermarket in the frame rather than cutting out however much has been cut out.

Still.....better than no pic at all, I suppose!

That's about it though, that's what I've got on my phone as well!

From SC: Lammy has been saying today that there is one CPO set for march, and stadium can start dec 2013 earliest. All purchases are done except this one

That's about it though, that's what I've got on my phone as well!

From SC: Lammy has been saying today that there is one CPO set for march, and stadium can start dec 2013 earliest. All purchases are done except this one

So if its in March then why does it take 9 months to start after that?

A CPO needs to be signed by a Secretary of State, and it depends which one - Clegg is one as deputy PM, might be a bit busy, there's a few it may cross the desk of, then there's a decision to be made. Then there's objections to be heard, ie the person dosnt want to sell. I've had a little legal experience in my life and if it takes 9 months that would be fast!

There's a million things to sort out basically

IMO there is no hard decision here. Regenerate or don't. Everyone knows basically it will happen, more so that its only one CPO needed.

I have not really paid much attention to this thread so would anyone like to summaries for me? Also is there a deadline for the new stadium to be finished once everything has been approved?

Back