• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
my reasons for wanting him to return are not driven by desperation. Its more to do with the previous post I put up - we've tried two of the most famous "three years and gone" managers in the game - Ancellotti is probably the only one better in that category than Conte and Jose - and its not worked. We're not going to spend £300m in a summer, buy two players for each position in one year and then use that guile we've bought to win ugly. It just isn't us. We spend £150m a summer, recoup £30-40m and expect good football. Yes there are managers out there carving good furrows for themselves in the game, some already showing they can do it here in England, but we want to love our club, love our style, love our manager and love the results and that to me means Mauricio Roberto Pochettino Trossero.
I voted Gallardo, because I think he can bring this to the club.

Representation is another concept Gallardo puts a lot of emphasis on. When asked by the media about the crowd applauding his team off the pitch in victory and occasionally in defeat, he often replies that they clearly feel the team represents them. He explains they see a certain method of play, an attitude, and a professionalism that makes them feel represented. It’s clear that he values this idea greatly.

Gallardo has outstanding motivating abilities and tactical knowledge to take his team to the next level. His River sides will forever be remembered for their capacity to prepare perfectly for big cup nights and produce their best performances. He has instilled a mentality in his squad whereby the crunch matches invite players to rise to the occasion, not freeze under pressure.

Lionel Messi nominated him as one of the top three managers in the world in the recent The Best awards, and Pep Guardiola despaired that Gallardo was not nominated, saying that his work is incredible and undervalued simply because it is not happening in Europe. “He gives them consistency year after year even though they lose players. I don’t understand how he’s never nominated” said the Catalan.

I totally agree with the above, but we have been playing brick since the start of the season. I doubt the players downed tools that soon, especially given how we ended the previous season. And with Jose we were top of the league after 12 games. Did the players down tools after the first 12 games when we were in first place? Maybe they did in both circumstances, but I don't find it that plausible. May have had to do more with the manager and the tactics than the players.

I don't think they downed tools, i would compare it someone losing weight.
I want to lose a a stone, for the first 10lbs its easy, loving the compliments, feeling good and its all going great. But its becoming more difficult, each ounce is now a struggle, and getting more of a struggle. Its not fun anymore looking at the scales, in fact you dread it now, and to make matters worse you start to slip into old comfortable habits because its just too hard.

I voted Gallardo, because I think he can bring this to the club.

Representation is another concept Gallardo puts a lot of emphasis on. When asked by the media about the crowd applauding his team off the pitch in victory and occasionally in defeat, he often replies that they clearly feel the team represents them. He explains they see a certain method of play, an attitude, and a professionalism that makes them feel represented. It’s clear that he values this idea greatly.

Gallardo has outstanding motivating abilities and tactical knowledge to take his team to the next level. His River sides will forever be remembered for their capacity to prepare perfectly for big cup nights and produce their best performances. He has instilled a mentality in his squad whereby the crunch matches invite players to rise to the occasion, not freeze under pressure.

Lionel Messi nominated him as one of the top three managers in the world in the recent The Best awards, and Pep Guardiola despaired that Gallardo was not nominated, saying that his work is incredible and undervalued simply because it is not happening in Europe. “He gives them consistency year after year even though they lose players. I don’t understand how he’s never nominated” said the Catalan.

Agree, purely from a promising manager that could be the next big thing (vs. hiring them on the downside), very aligned with play style, mentality, etc. I picked Gallardo.

That said, Howe at Saudi Sportswashing Machine showed what a decent manager, a mediocre team with a decent spirit and the crowd backing the team (after a period of negativity/toxicity) can achieve. That puts Poch's candidacy in a different light, we have a better squad than people think, backed by the crowd, with a manager that isn't stifling the talent and open to adding more creativity will probably bump us up a level, which would put us in the top 4 fight properly.

I don't think they downed tools, i would compare it someone losing weight.
I want to lose a a stone, for the first 10lbs its easy, loving the compliments, feeling good and its all going great. But its becoming more difficult, each ounce is now a struggle, and getting more of a struggle. Its not fun anymore looking at the scales, in fact you dread it now, and to make matters worse you start to slip into old comfortable habits because its just too hard.
To use your weight example, a few years ago I set a goal to get as ripped as I could. My starting point was 187 lbs and my target was 163 lbs and 8% body fat. The first 15 lbs were lost quickly and I could see myself getting more toned. And seeing the results of my hard work I pushed even harder to shed the last 8-9 lbs. It was a slog, but every week that went by where an additional pound was lost and a fraction of a % point was shaved from my body fat was motivation to keep going and keep pushing. And I am someone who is more on the lazy side. These guys are professionals. I doubt when they started seeing the results of their work they would have rested on their laurels with the job half done.

4th time lucky, after 3 duff/ill-fitting appointments in a row?
Yeah. I think Conte was the last roll of the dice with a proven manager (I'm not counting Nuno, who was purely a stop-gap). If anything, it was probably an early roll of the dice. The team was not ready yet for that type of manager. I think they probably get it now that what we need is a Potter/De Zerbi/Howe/Poch type rather than a Tuchel/Conte/Mourinho type.

He'll be creaming himself at that pressing potential.

The concern is that performacnes under Poch tailed right off when we tried to be more than a high pressing team. Each season we'd tire and lack stamina to see out the season. Poch tried to be more nuanced with the press, and it undermined us.

Whoever you get, there are always going to be transition periods as a coaching team impliment updates and changes to realise a vision. I feel like Conte, Tuchel have a clearer vision. Poch is Mr flexible, able to accomodate and work to his players strengths. Such polar approaches. Maybe the ideal is a combination of the two. A manager who has a very clear vision and system, who tweeks things for specific players. To me that might be Tuchel. He might be the closest to this approach. And he plays 3 at the back, so we wouldn't have to rip up the last 2 years work building the side.

Last edited:
The concern is that performacnes under Poch's tailed right off when we tried to be more than a high pressing team. Each season we'd tire and lack stamina to see out the season. Poch triend to be more nuanced with the press, and it undermined us.

Whoever you get, there are always going to be transition periods as a coaching team impliment updates and changes to realise a vision. I feel like Conte, Tuchel have a clearer vision. Poch is Mr flexible, able to accomodate and work to his players strengths. Such polar approaches. Maybe the ideal is a combination of the two. A manager who has a very clear vision and system, who tweeks things for specific players. To me that might be Tuchel. He might be the closest to this approach. And he plays 3 at the back, so we wouldn't have to rip the last 2 years work building the side.

Our squad is much deeper than it was. We have 6 decent forwards, 5 CMs, lots of FBs. Poch had about 14 players, then the likes of Nkoudou and Llorente. He was always ok at rotating too (mainly our FBs, as they were the most demanding roles) - Davies, Trippier etc. used to get decent amount of games.

3 at the back is our biggest problem. If we try competing with the consequential handicap in midfield, we'll never get started

Our squad is much deeper than it was. We have 6 decent forwards, 5 CMs, lots of FBs. Poch had about 14 players, then the likes of Nkoudou and Llorente. He was always ok at rotating too (mainly our FBs, as they were the most demanding roles) - Davies, Trippier etc. used to get decent amount of games.

3 at the back is our biggest problem. If we try competing with the consequential handicap in midfield, we'll never get started

We also still have the likes of Reguilon and Lo Celso on the books, who are not bad players, and may blossom under Poch. From a new manager's point of view, it might just be a very good moment to step in.

I voted for Poch, never wanted him to leave in the first place, even before I knew that after Jose we would have to endure Nuno and Conte.

We also still have the likes of Reguilon and Lo Celso on the books, who are not bad players, and may blossom under Poch. From a new manager's point of view, it might just be a very good moment to step in.

I voted for Poch, never wanted him to leave in the first place, even before I knew that after Jose we would have to endure Nuno and Conte.

I definitely agree about Reguilon. I think the ship has probably sailed with Lo Celso now.

But a handful of not prohibitively expensive signings (we'll also have about 10 leaving to balance the books), and we've got the foundations of a really great Poch side; something like:

----------------------------------New(Lloris)

Spence(Royal)------Romero(Dier)-----Ndicka(Edwards)----Udogie(Davies/Regulion)

-------------------Bentancur(Sarr)--------Bissouma/Hojbjerg(Skipp)

Kulusevski(Porro)----------------Kudus(Scott)--------------------Son(Gil)

----------------------------------Kane/Richarlison

I’d be very interested to know how many of the people who are voting for Poch now were calling for him to be sacked last time he was here… as I recall the majority of this forum wanted him gone. (Whereas funnily enough I very much didn’t want him sacked, but don’t want him back now!)

Fickle fans, who would have thought. :D

Went to collect my lad from school an hour ago and today they were doing art and drawing fruit. At the end of the class, the teacher gave the fruit away to the boys in his class. What did he come out holding? That's right...a lemon.

Poch's coming back. It's written in the stars.

I’d be very interested to know how many of the people who are voting for Poch now were calling for him to be sacked last time he was here… as I recall the majority of this forum wanted him gone. (Whereas funnily enough I very much didn’t want him sacked, but don’t want him back now!)

Same. It is funny how these things go around. Conte is not a bad manager. He's just been off post-surgery. Whoever is in post needs time to impliment their vision. I don't feel like Paratici and Conte have yet. We're part way. There is more to come. At the very least we should hire someone who has consistency with COnte's setup.

Same. It is funny how these things go around. Conte is not a bad manager. He's just been off post-surgery. Whoever is in post needs time to impliment their vision. I don't feel like Paratici and Conte have yet. We're part way. There is more to come. At the very least we should hire someone who has consistency with COnte's setup.

Allardyce? Moyes? You really sure you don't want to turn the car around?

Back