• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Car... estate. suggestions?

Eriktheviking

Goran Bunjevcevic
Im in the market for a new car. With a kid on the way, our family top north and a dog we need something bigger. Currently looking at BMW 320d Touring M Sport Auto. Can get a year old for circa £23000. I didn't particularly like the 5. A touch too big for the amount of town driving i do and didn't really feel like i was driving it.

Anyone have some other suggestions? Id like something remotely fun to drive.

Im based in Portchester if anyone knows of any decent used car places rather than just Auto Trader.

I'd avoid the M Sport unless you like a really firm ride. Mine is exacerbated by run flats but it's just not comfortable.

My old tub started playing up last week was not pulling away smoothly - but it cleared up (fingers crossed)

You wonder who first sat in the MSport with run flats and said "this is good lets put it into production":eek:

Im in the market for a new car. With a kid on the way, our family top north and a dog we need something bigger. Currently looking at BMW 320d Touring M Sport Auto. Can get a year old for circa £23000. I didn't particularly like the 5. A touch too big for the amount of town driving i do and didn't really feel like i was driving it.

Anyone have some other suggestions? Id like something remotely fun to drive.

Im based in Portchester if anyone knows of any decent used car places rather than just Auto Trader.

What @scaramanga said and then some, other than that it's a nice car - I've been driving my old 5 from new for a long time - too long some would say, but hey I love it!

My old tub started playing up last week was not pulling away smoothly - but it cleared up (fingers crossed)

You wonder who first sat in the MSport with run flats and said "this is good lets put it into production":eek:
How many miles has it done? It could be the DPF blocking and clearing - the happened to me.

I certainly wouldn't recommend an illegal DPF delete and remap, but it costs the same as a replacement and comes with a nice power upgrade (allegedly)

I'd avoid the M Sport unless you like a really firm ride. Mine is exacerbated by run flats but it's just not comfortable.

I quite like a harsh ride. I had a Passat Sport and that was like driving on rocks.

Tbh ill be lucky to get an M Sport anyway as seem to hold their value well and I'm not prepared to budge over 23000

Looked at the new Passats but they are generally only 150bhp and i don't think as nice inside as a 320...

Last edited:
How many miles has it done? It could be the DPF blocking and clearing - the happened to me.

I certainly wouldn't recommend an illegal DPF delete and remap, but it costs the same as a replacement and comes with a nice power upgrade (allegedly)

DPF? Mine is Petrol

Just under 50k and she will be a very old lady next August nearly vintage......

Last edited:
I quite like a harsh ride. I had a Passat Sport and that was like driving on rocks.

Tbh ill be lucky to get an M Sport anyway as seem to hold their value well and I'm not prepared to budge over 23000

Looked at the new Passats but they are generally only 150bhp and i don't think as nice inside as a 320...

Have a look at Skoda - they are not flash but built like a tank and surprisily smooth

Last edited:

What prices are the plug-in hybrids there? They are subsidised here in Norway, so you get a over 200 hp car for the price of a 100 hp car. The Passat GTE goes like Stig!

What prices are the plug-in hybrids there? They are subsidised here in Norway, so you get a over 200 hp car for the price of a 100 hp car. The Passat GTE goes like Stig!
Plug in hybrids are only just coming in here.

In terms of good brands, Mercedes are leading the way with it. Problem is, the grant saving is offset by the massive increase in cost, and they're all petrol hybrids. Once you get to about an 80 mile journey, all your hybrid savings are offset by not having a diesel.

Just go for a low mileage 64 plate if you want a 320d, and spend £3k on something else you really want like a Mac or a hooker

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/...ault/page/1/body-type/estate/onesearchad/used

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...pe=estate&onesearchad=used&logcode=p&adPos=10

ideally i need something newer than this as this is my company car allowance and they will only give me a fuel card and the car allowance on cars up to 6 years old, id only have to change it in 3/4 years.

I went to look at the Passat today and to be honest, the cabin is up there with a 320 (not saying as good as). Go for a Passat and i can get a nearly new for £23000 and the standard equipment is better than the BMW and id get a full 6 years out of it with work paying for 70% of it. after looking at one today its becoming a no brainer.

The only thing with the BMW is the iddiv and i just spunked £1600 on a mac - which i am very happy with.

Look at the Kia Ceed sportwagon, i was very impressed. You will be able to get a fully loaded one for the price your talking about. Just don't be a dingdong and buy a German badge for the sake of it.

Back