• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

National Anthem - For England

Sandman

Dean Austin
I see it has some up in the commons that England need their own National Anthem. As GHod save the Queen is for Britain not England. Scotland and Wales both sing their own Anthem in matches.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/england/35300285

I am bias on this. I like GHod save the Queen as a Song, but hate that its about the Queen and not about our country. I have always thought Land of hope and Glory was the best Anthem for England. It certainly gets poeple going at last night at the proms.

Land of Hope and Glory

I see it has some up in the commons that England need their own National Anthem. As GHod save the Queen is for Britain not England. Scotland and Wales both sing their own Anthem in matches.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/england/35300285

I am bias on this. I like GHod save the Queen as a Song, but hate that its about the Queen and not about our country. I have always thought Land of hope and Glory was the best Anthem for England. It certainly gets poeple going at last night at the proms.

Land of Hope and Glory

My local team in Norway play a version of that before every match (with a former goalie singing opera). :p

I have always thought Land of hope and Glory was the best Anthem for England.
It's certainly more stirring than GHod Save The Queen, which is a dirge. But if we do it we need to keep the really long intro in so it can be like those South American ones, where you think "We must be getting to the end by now" and then, boom, the singing starts.

Biggest problems with the current dirge are the first verse and the pace of it.

Launching straight into "send her victorious -happy and glorious" is a massive upgrade. That little drum roll in the intro is first in the bin.

like it

personally I'd rather we just bin it off and don't bother with public shows of nationalism, especially ones that invoke a deity or allegiance to an unelected monarch

it's all cobblers

Yet let's all bin off international competition and all hold each other's willies right around the world.

I'm against the monarchy and an atheist so would not find myself singing. However I have maintained the song that could best sum up a national trait of England is 'Always look on the bright side of life'

80,000 people in Wembley singing 'When you're chewing on life's gristle, Don't grumble, give a whistle' would be magnificent

Like a few mentioned, GHod and Queen - Not hugely in to either, I respect other people's opinions on them but neither are for me. It being our country's theme tune is a fudging nightmare really.

Do not see the point in a national anthem, at sporting events I just want to see people play not listen to some tw*t singing out something and half a stadium sort of joining in.

As for when people win medals surely just winning in the medal and getting it put round your neck is enough.

The problem is it's terrible. Jerusalem is a better song but when you compare it to the French or Italian national anthems, it pales in comparison.
That's not why they don't sing it.

They don't sing it because they're ungrateful bastards who forget who (semi) civilised them.

Jerusalem is ok but its one of the most complicated songs to get your head round and also its bleeding long

Back