• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mourinho - What Next?

I think what this situation proves is what every manager in world football has proven...there is to an extent a limited shelf life to success and limits...even to someone with Mourinhos CV.

Capello, LVG, Trap, Alf Ramsey, Clough....to name a small sample size.

He certainly improved the CL performance which had been a joke for years; BUT that team should have got to at least one final in his tenure, esp when you look at who they played in those semis. Again, kit shows he is a good 'underdog' coach, but not very good when teams who have squads nearly at the level of his team themselves set up in an 'underdog' role and put the onus on him to take the initiative.

One off games are lotteries which is why it is madness to argue for prioritising cups.

Someone playing devil's advocate would argue that he beat the best Barcelona team in history to the title and that is a far better judge of a manager.

One off games are lotteries which is why it is madness to argue for prioritising cups.

Someone playing devil's advocate would argue that he beat the best Barcelona team in history to the title and that is a far better judge of a manager.

Jose's reputation as "The Special One" was mainly built on said 'lotteries' (which are two-legged and slightly different from the usual domestic cup versions).

It was a feat to win the single La Liga he did win, but it could also be argued that for him to then let them win it again at a canter the following year (when that particular Barca cycle had ended, were being part-time managed by an ill coach and were being destroyed by Bayern in one of the most one-sided semi-finals) showed that his single La Liga win was a freak result. In fact maybe Chelski's PL win last year was also a freak result lol!

Jose's reputation as "The Special One" was mainly built on said 'lotteries' (which are two-legged and slightly different from the usual domestic cup versions).

It was a feat to win the single La Liga he did win, but it could also be argued that for him to then let them win it again at a canter the following year (when that particular Barca cycle had ended, were being part-time managed by an ill coach and were being destroyed by Bayern in one of the most one-sided semi-finals) showed that his single La Liga win was a freak result. In fact maybe Chelski's PL win last year was also a freak result lol!

He certainly got his break from winning the lottery with Porto but it is hard to argue that he hasn't followed that up with good league performances since.

We all know that he is a short term solution, who burns his teams out after two or three season and creates choas along the way but if you have the stomach for that and deep pockets, he will do a job.

He certainly got his break from winning the lottery with Porto but it is hard to argue that he hasn't followed that up with good league performances since.

We all know that he is a short term solution, who burns his teams out after two or three season and creates choas along the way but if you have the stomach for that and deep pockets, he will do a job.

Indeed; i would LOVE IT if he took over mid-season at Man U...not so chuffed if he took over in the summer..

Indeed; i would LOVE IT if he took over mid-season at Man U...not so chuffed if he took over in the summer..

I think that they would be more of a threat in the second half of the season if they were managed by Mourinho than LvG.

LvG looks to me like a man who has run out of ideas. Mourinho is a man who has just tinkled off a load of the people working for him.

I think it would be a mistake for Mourinho to go back into management so quickly and into a situation not disimilar from what he has just been sacked from,a man less arrogant than him would take a break and re-evaluate .Van gaal didn't suddenly become a poor manager but there does seem to be a lack of planning at utd at the moment amongst other problems .He should be told job is safe until the summer and then they should see what to do.Players talk to each other the UTD players will know all about what happend in the Chelsea dressing room.

I think that they would be more of a threat in the second half of the season if they were managed by Mourinho than LvG.

LvG looks to me like a man who has run out of ideas. Mourinho is a man who has just tinkleed off a load of the people working for him.

Actually i think it looks like BOTH of them have run out of ideas, but in Mourinho's case he has also tinkled off a load of the people working for him

All the talk is about legacy managers, those days are gone. The players have all the power now because of the cost. Do you you think busby, stein, shankly, clough or fergie would have put up with what's happened at Chelsea? Not a chance. They would have been shipped out pronto. The money also means the other motivating factors of winning medals and pride in your performance are gone. There's none of the "right we won it last year and we aren't giving up" mentality. Roy Keane was right when he talked about the attitude at Man U after the CL win.

All the talk is about legacy managers, those days are gone. The players have all the power now because of the cost. Do you you think busby, stein, shankly, clough or fergie would have put up with what's happened at Chelsea? Not a chance. They would have been shipped out pronto. The money also means the other motivating factors of winning medals and pride in your performance are gone. There's none of the "right we won it last year and we aren't giving up" mentality. Roy Keane was right when he talked about the attitude at Man U after the CL win.

Sorry, what do you mean here? What exactly did Roy Keane say?

True; but the reasons he failed at Chelski will likely mean he's doomed to fail at Manure - if he takes over mid-season.
Like others have said, it's not likely that the Manure players will not know what went on at Chelski. In fact, i'm certain that due to this we'll see an upturn in form.

I think that he would have short term success if he took over at Man Utd until the players got tinkled off with him.

I think that he would have short term success if he took over at Man Utd until the players got tinkleed off with him.

I don't think the current Man Utd squad set-up would be at all effectively under Jose's methods. That's why it would be great for us if he did start mid-season there (as opposed to the summer, when he can waste spend their millions to bring in the older players he'd no doubt want)

I don't think the current Man Utd squad set-up would be at all effectively under Jose's methods. That's why it would be great for us if he did start mid-season there (as opposed to the summer, when he can waste spend their millions to bring in the older players he'd no doubt want)

I don't think that he would waste any more money than their current manager and would probably have a clearer idea on what he was spending it on. I also think that in the short term, his motivational methods would be more successful than LvG's.

I don't think that he would waste any more money than their current manager and would probably have a clearer idea on what he was spending it on. I also think that in the short term, his motivational methods would be more successful than LvG's.

I would LOVE to see who's right on this one! Go on Ed - make my day!:D

Yeah lets face it, he would have a seriously major task on his hands to spend 300 million and end up with a worse team than what the mighty Moyes had. Which is what LVG has so wonderfully achieved.

You have to laugh at those who ( for whatever reason) are casting doubts on Jose and his success 21 trophys in 12 years as a manager, talk about scrapping the barrel :rolleyes:

Sorry, what do you mean here? What exactly did Roy Keane say?
On the flight home after the CL final quite a few of the Man U team were saying something along the lines of , that's it we've done it, we're made. Keanes was none to happy with that attitude, as he seen it the best would now push on and prove it, not sit back and reflect.
Money and fame seem to be the driving forces in sport these days, not greatness.

Back