• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Most underwhelming Managerial appointment

Most underwhelming Managerial APPOINTMENT

• Sherwood - Dec 2013

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • AVB - Jul 2012

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 'Arry - Oct 2008

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Jol - Nov 2004

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Santini - Jul 2004

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Pleat (caretaker) - Oct 2003

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Graham - Sept 1998

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Gross - Nov 1997

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Francis - Nov 1994

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • other.....

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
I think Jol was Arnesen's choice all along but Levy wanted a big name. So in came Santini with Jol as assistance. Then either Arnesen engineered Santini's exit or it was the plan all along.

I just meant that it wasn't underwhelming because there was mystery about him.

I meant if Sugar had known what he was doing in terms of recruiting the right guy (like Dein did), rather than how he supported him after the appointment (sorry, that wasn't clear).

Fair enough

At the time of his appointnent you wouldn't have seen a Redknapp side do so either. Very lazy conparison in terms of playing style though for sure.

At the time, especially coupled with the end of the DoF set up, i thought it was just a premature reaction to a possible relegation battle and a giving up on any long term plans we had as club.

I don't know why people were so enamoured with Comolli, he had helped take us to the bottom of the table.

Premature? Really? Two points from 8 games. I wasn't confident we would escape. We certainly wouldn't have gone on to finish in the top 8 and follow that up with CL football a year later. Going back to Ramos' first campaign, our league form was terrible. As soon as we won the League Cup we sank like a stone.

Daresay the comparison has already been drawn elsewhere but there are some interesting similarities between the appointments of Sherwood and Billy Nick.

Sir Bill's appointment was probably less underwhelming but it still came out of the blue because like TS he had never managed a club previously, let alone a top-division one. Both had won a League title as a player, Bill with Spurs, Sherwood with Blackburn. Both had played for Spurs, had been capped by England and gone on to impress as coaches with Spurs prior to internal promotion straight into to the top job. Sir Bill of course had gone one better having had a spell with the England set-up.

So all it needs now is for Timmy to emulate Bill in winning the League and FA Cup Double next season. That would do nicely for starters. \o/

Daresay the comparison has already been drawn elsewhere but there are some interesting similarities between the appointments of Sherwood and Billy Nick.

Sir Bill's appointment was probably less underwhelming but it still came out of the blue because like TS he had never managed a club previously, let alone a top-division one. Both had won a League title as a player, Bill with Spurs, Sherwood with Blackburn. Both had played for Spurs, had been capped by England and gone on to impress as coaches with Spurs prior to internal promotion straight into to the top job. Sir Bill of course had gone one better having had a spell with the England set-up.

So all it needs now is for Timmy to emulate Bill in winning the League and FA Cup Double next season. That would do nicely for starters. \o/

Well that's already down the pan or else we'd have beaten West Ham 10-4!!

There is a point for concluding that our internal appointments have often been the most successful;

Bill Nich
Burkinshaw??
Jol (technically)

Didn't shreeve have a good year between burkinshaw and pleat?

I wasn't interested in football till I was 12 so can only comment on apointments from Ramos onwards so has to be Sherwood for me. Was expecting a end of season contract, but so far he's been winning me over.

The one that got me most excited was Ramos. I liked Jol but Ramos had a great record at Sevilla. Really thought if anyone was going to get us competing for the title and winning trophies it would be him. Sadly it didn't work out anything like that at all, apart from the league cup win.

Well that's already down the pan or else we'd have beaten West Ham 10-4!!

There is a point for concluding that our internal appointments have often been the most successful;

Bill Nich
Burkinshaw??
Jol (technically)

Didn't shreeve have a good year between burkinshaw and pleat?
LOL! For sure Sherwood had nothing like that instant impact, but his PL start of four wins and a draw in five is impressive enough.

Yep Burkinshaw and Shreeve were both internal appointees from coach to manager and both had decent spells, although Shreeve's was fairly transient, gaining third place in his first season before nose-diving the season following. His second stint after he took over from Venables was also decidedly ordinary.

Another outstanding internal appointee (of sorts) with similar credentials to Nicholson was Arthur Rowe, he of the famous 'push and run' title-winning side of the late 40s / early50s. He too had been capped for England, the difference being that after his playing career with Tottenham he coached Chelmsford City before returning to manage us.

Back