• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Morgan Schneiderlin

he isnt worth the fee. he isnt overrated though

Bit of a contradiction in terms there, no? Personally I think he's worth every cent: we paid 16 million for Paulinho, and 15 million for Dembele, yet scarpered in glee when asked to pay more than 10 million for Schneiderlin. Whichever way you look at it, that's a blunder.

Bit of a contradiction in terms there, no? Personally I think he's worth every cent: we paid 16 million for Paulinho, and 15 million for Dembele, yet scarpered in glee when asked to pay more than 10 million for Schneiderlin. Whichever way you look at it, that's a blunder.

not really. Bale isn't overrated, yet he's not worth £80m

Southampton for the Top Four?

Currently 3rd in the league 5 points ahead of us with 20+ GD, ours is 1+ btw. Which sadly reinforces my point.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Move on people, please don't do it to yourselves, in two years time we'll have a thread dedicated to how we shoud've bid more when we had the chance and Levy Out will gain UKIP style popularity.

Southampton for the Top Four?

Currently 3rd in the league 5 points ahead of us with 20+ GD, ours is 1+ btw. Which sadly reinforces my point.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Move on people, please don't do it to yourselves, in two years time we'll have a thread dedicated to how we shoud've bid more when we had the chance and Levy Out will gain UKIP style popularity.

Watch a couple of big teams go **** with them and "turn some heads"

If they managed to survive till summer, the vultures will pick them apart and the chances of putting together two replacement sides in two years = 0

I think more and more than MS will NOT join Arsenal at least.

Wenger has a poor record with buying CMs who are not very young and improving them (not since the Viera/Silva/Edu days) and he'll know that, look at their (lack of) midfield structure and think 'No thanks'.

He'll be at Manure next year, sadly.

the furor he kicked up preseason dissipated too quickly for me though. at that time i was thinking some form agreement was done and MS would arrive in the Jan transfer window after soton ensures safety. slim chances now but i'm still hoping ...[-o

Well tbh we could make him our one and only big signing in the summer. We don't need to spend big on a centre forward now with the emergenge of Big Daddy Kane, just back ups needed in that position, at full back we are fine, at centre half there is no need to spend too much.

So if we can offload some deadwood and put all the money towards Schneiderlin then from a financial point of view I'm sure we can do the deal. The problem is there are bigger clubs with more money/bigger salaries in for him

I certainly see Man Utd, Arsanal and Liverpool wanting him......

Well tbh we could make him our one and only big signing in the summer. We don't need to spend big on a centre forward now with the emergenge of Big Daddy Kane, just back ups needed in that position, at full back we are fine, at centre half there is no need to spend too much.

So if we can offload some deadwood and put all the money towards Schneiderlin then from a financial point of view I'm sure we can do the deal. The problem is there are bigger clubs with more money/bigger salaries in for him

I certainly see Man Utd, Arsanal and Liverpool wanting him......

I agree that Schneiderlin would be a great signing for us and is probably worth pushing the boat out for but I don't think that is all we need at all. While Kane's emergence has lessened our immediate need to sign a centre forward I still think it is a position that we need to look to strengthen ASAP (in the Summer transfer window at the latest). This would have the advantage of providing cover for Kane, but also allow him to drop into the number 10 role.

I think the Burnley cup game and Palace game have also shown that we lack a little when our first choice midfield partnership is not available. If we are to build a team/squad that can maintain a proper challenge on multiple fronts for silverware and a CL qualification league finish then I think we are probably short of 5 players in the squad....

1. A proper number 9 centre forward to cover Kane or allow him to drop into the number 10 role. Berahino would be my first choice. I would also be happy with Icardi. £18 to £20 million would probably be the cost of either of them.
2. Another centre half to cover/challenge the two currently in place. Moreno would seem to be a good option. His contract situation probably means he would cost about £7 million. Alternatively we could try to pick up Winston Reid on a bosman this Summer.
3. An energetic box to box midfielder to challenge/cover Mason, somebody who gets about the pitch for 90 minutes and injects pace into the attack when they get on the ball. I'd be happy with Delph on a free transfer in the Summer or for a fee of around £3 million this month.
4. A deep lying midfielder to challenge/cover Bentaleb. I agree with you that Schneiderlin would be the dream signing here but he will probably cost about £25 million and I expect Man Utd and Arsenal both to be after him and probably other money clubs as well.
5. A pacy wide player who could also fill in up front. Ayew on a free transfer this Summer would probably be a good option. Again - if we could pick him up this month for a small fee of about £3 million then that would be a bonus.

Bringing in players in each of the positions above would allow us to sell/release all of Kaboul, Chiriches, Naughton, Paulinho, Capoue, Lennon, Soldado and Adebayor. Our net spend on transfer fees would probably be close to zero as well.

I think the following options would fit well with Pochettino's preferred 4-2-3-1 formation and allow us to seriously contest the Cups and sustain a proper top 4 challenge.

--------------------------------------------------Lloris
----------------------------------------------(Vorm/Archer)
Walker---------------------------Fazio-----------------------Vertonghen--------------------DaviesRose
(Yedlin/Fredericks/Dyer)----------(Dyer)--------------------(Moreno/Veljkovic)-----------(Rose/Vertonghen)
-----------------------Schneiderlin-------------------------------------Mason
---------------(Bentaleb/Stambouli/Veljkovic)--------------------(Delph/Dembele/Carroll)
--------------Lamela-------------------------------Kane--------------------------Eriksen
------------(Townsend)-----------------(Chadli/Eriksen/Dembele)---------------(Ayew/Chadli)
-------------------------------------------------Berahino
------------------------------------------------(Kane/Ayew)

I think it would be possible for us to bring in the players too (even Schnedierlin if we really go after him). It might need Levy to take a little gamble for once and actually sign a player or two before he has sold the ones they will be replacing

I agree that Schneiderlin would be a great signing for us and is probably worth pushing the boat out for but I don't think that is all we need at all. While Kane's emergence has lessened our immediate need to sign a centre forward I still think it is a position that we need to look to strengthen ASAP (in the Summer transfer window at the latest). This would have the advantage of providing cover for Kane, but also allow him to drop into the number 10 role.

I think the Burnley cup game and Palace game have also shown that we lack a little when our first choice midfield partnership is not available. If we are to build a team/squad that can maintain a proper challenge on multiple fronts for silverware and a CL qualification league finish then I think we are probably short of 5 players in the squad....

1. A proper number 9 centre forward to cover Kane or allow him to drop into the number 10 role. Berahino would be my first choice. I would also be happy with Icardi. £18 to £20 million would probably be the cost of either of them.
2. Another centre half to cover/challenge the two currently in place. Moreno would seem to be a good option. His contract situation probably means he would cost about £7 million. Alternatively we could try to pick up Winston Reid on a bosman this Summer.
3. An energetic box to box midfielder to challenge/cover Mason, somebody who gets about the pitch for 90 minutes and injects pace into the attack when they get on the ball. I'd be happy with Delph on a free transfer in the Summer or for a fee of around £3 million this month.
4. A deep lying midfielder to challenge/cover Bentaleb. I agree with you that Schneiderlin would be the dream signing here but he will probably cost about £25 million and I expect Man Utd and Arsenal both to be after him and probably other money clubs as well.
5. A pacy wide player who could also fill in up front. Ayew on a free transfer this Summer would probably be a good option. Again - if we could pick him up this month for a small fee of about £3 million then that would be a bonus.

Bringing in players in each of the positions above would allow us to sell/release all of Kaboul, Chiriches, Naughton, Paulinho, Capoue, Lennon, Soldado and Adebayor. Our net spend on transfer fees would probably be close to zero as well.

I think the following options would fit well with Pochettino's preferred 4-2-3-1 formation and allow us to seriously contest the Cups and sustain a proper top 4 challenge.

--------------------------------------------------Lloris
----------------------------------------------(Vorm/Archer)
Walker---------------------------Fazio-----------------------Vertonghen--------------------DaviesRose
(Yedlin/Fredericks/Dyer)----------(Dyer)--------------------(Moreno/Veljkovic)-----------(Rose/Vertonghen)
-----------------------Schneiderlin-------------------------------------Mason
---------------(Bentaleb/Stambouli/Veljkovic)--------------------(Delph/Dembele/Carroll)
--------------Lamela-------------------------------Kane--------------------------Eriksen
------------(Townsend)-----------------(Chadli/Eriksen/Dembele)---------------(Ayew/Chadli)
-------------------------------------------------Berahino
------------------------------------------------(Kane/Ayew)

I think it would be possible for us to bring in the players too (even Schnedierlin if we really go after him). It might need Levy to take a little gamble for once and actually sign a player or two before he has sold the ones they will be replacing

I think Stambouli could still be 4 (understudying Bentaleb) - I'd like to see him partner Mason and see how that looks. If we got Rabiot in to compete/cover with Mason, I'd be happy with that quartet

We also need to think more about our new academy production line model. Should we buy another CM if we know Winks is close to ready? Should we buy another #10 if we know Pritchard and Onomah are there? Could Oduwa or Ceballos become Chadli's cover/competition etc?

I'd rather sign 2/3 players and promote 3/2, than sign 5.

I think Stambouli could still be 4 (understudying Bentaleb) - I'd like to see him partner Mason and see how that looks. If we got Rabiot in to compete/cover with Mason, I'd be happy with that quartet

We also need to think more about our new academy production line model. Should we buy another CM if we know Winks is close to ready? Should we buy another #10 if we know Pritchard and Onomah are there? Could Oduwa or Ceballos become Chadli's cover/competition etc?

I'd rather sign 2/3 players and promote 3/2, than sign 5.

I don't think Stambouli moves the ball quickly enough compared to Bentaleb. I'm also not sure he is mobile enough. That being said he does seem to be improving as he gets used to the English game. We have the benefit of getting another half a season to look at him before the Summer and deciding whether or not he is good enough or it's worth pushing the boat out for a Schneiderlin type signing.

From what I have read Rabiot is a loan signing only and will not be signing permanently for Spurs. We also haven't really seen him play so I'm not sure it is wise for us to be trusting our long term future on a 19 year old on a 5 month loan who none of us have actually even watched?

From what I have sene of Winks he is not yet close to being ready. He has promise, but I think he is still at least 2 years away. I expect him to spend the next 2 seasons out on loan playing real mens football, it is a similar story with Oduwa. Ceballos will be released at the end of the season. I expect Pritchard to come back to Spurs in the summer and be given the pre-season to make an impact (as Mason was/did), I think he will play from a wide position however as opposed to being the number 10 - he may turn into a number 10 in a few years time however or perhaps even grow into the role that Mason is currently playing. Personally I would see Pritchard being competition for Lamela/Townsend next season. If he impresses enough then it allows one of those two to be sold at a later date. Onomah, again, I expect to go away and play proper mens football via some good loan spells before coming into the first team picture at Spurs.

I don't think Stambouli moves the ball quickly enough compared to Bentaleb. I'm also not sure he is mobile enough. That being said he does seem to be improving as he gets used to the English game. We have the benefit of getting another half a season to look at him before the Summer and deciding whether or not he is good enough or it's worth pushing the boat out for a Schneiderlin type signing.

From what I have read Rabiot is a loan signing only and will not be signing permanently for Spurs. We also haven't really seen him play so I'm not sure it is wise for us to be trusting our long term future on a 19 year old on a 5 month loan who none of us have actually even watched?

From what I have sene of Winks he is not yet close to being ready. He has promise, but I think he is still at least 2 years away. I expect him to spend the next 2 seasons out on loan playing real mens football, it is a similar story with Oduwa. Ceballos will be released at the end of the season. I expect Pritchard to come back to Spurs in the summer and be given the pre-season to make an impact (as Mason was/did), I think he will play from a wide position however as opposed to being the number 10 - he may turn into a number 10 in a few years time however or perhaps even grow into the role that Mason is currently playing. Personally I would see Pritchard being competition for Lamela/Townsend next season. If he impresses enough then it allows one of those two to be sold at a later date. Onomah, again, I expect to go away and play proper mens football via some good loan spells before coming into the first team picture at Spurs.

I think my thoughts re Stambouli and Rabiot is that I'd be happy for us to get a 4th CM who can play a Poch system, rather than a 1st one - i.e. bring in from the bottom rather than from the top.

I do think the signs are there with Stambouli and think he'll put it together like Fazio and Chadli did.

I only used those as examples, rather than expectations. But after the success with Kane, Bentaleb, Mason, Townsend and Rose, I want us to take a much more holistic approach and consider the production line before we sign anyone. That way we'll avoid having £45m worth of CMs being made redundant, like we have now.

I think my thoughts re Stambouli and Rabiot is that I'd be happy for us to get a 4th CM who can play a Poch system, rather than a 1st one - i.e. bring in from the bottom rather than from the top.

I do think the signs are there with Stambouli and think he'll put it together like Fazio and Chadli did.

I only used those as examples, rather than expectations. But after the success with Kane, Bentaleb, Mason, Townsend and Rose, I want us to take a much more holistic approach and consider the production line before we sign anyone. That way we'll avoid having £45m worth of CMs being made redundant, like we have now.

But those midfielders have been made redundant because they are poor players (or being kinder - players that aren't suited to Pochettino's system). I would hope (expect!) that any player we now sign would be suited to the system.

Also I think that unless we try to bring in a few players as you put it - from the top, then it will prove very, very difficult indeed to break into a CL qualifying position. We'll be relying on poor seasons from at least 2 other teams along with a Bale type breakthrough from one of our young players.

Interesting, I'd be surprised if they were prepared to do that deal now bearing in mind the bidding war that would result from an open market.

Back