• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

Re: Modric Gone At Last

I am disappointed we settled for far less fee (33m) than what we originally wanted (40m). This could encourage other clubs to bid for our big-name players in future. But I guess Modric joining RM for less fee is better than him joining any of the English clubs for a higher fee. Not sure how we are going to benefit from this partnership deal with RM. Just can't see any of their star players joining us unless they are desperate to leave like VDV. Just hope part of this partnership agreement will be Mourinho promising to join us if and when he leaves RM.

I am disappointed we settled for far less fee (33m) than what we originally wanted (40m). This could encourage other clubs to bid for our big-name players in future. But I guess Modric joining RM for less fee is better than him joining any of the English clubs for a higher fee. Not sure how we are going to benefit from this partnership deal with RM. Just can't see any of their star players joining us unless they are desperate to leave like VDV. Just hope part of this partnership agreement will be Mourinho promising to join us if and when he leaves RM.

£33m is a great deal. It's more than what they paid for Alonso, who is a better player. Compromise isn't a bad thing.

I prefer Luka, has almost the same passing range but also sharper, quicker and can dribble out of tight areas.

Better dribbler maybe, but I'd take Alonso's passing and his superior tackling over Modric.

EDIT: Alonso is better at shooting too.

Last edited:

Do people not remember how good Liverpool were when they had Alonso and how crap they are now? He's not the only reason of course, but he was a massive factor for them. He's played for some great teams, but you can't argue with his trophy haul and he's proved it in the biggest games at all levels.

Do people not remember how good Liverpool were when they had Alonso and how crap they are now? He's not the only reason of course, but he was a massive factor for them. He's played for some great teams, but you can't argue with his trophy haul and he's proved it in the biggest games at all levels.

He was playing alongside Mascherano and Gerrard at Liverpoool and in the Real Madrid or Spanish midfields. I'd assume Modric would look better in such company as well. I'm not saying Modric is better either but you can't really use the relative achievements of the teams to determine who is better.

Its funny to look back at how Rafa wanted Barry to replace Alonso, but wasn't prepared to meet Villa's price and then lost Alonso anyway a year later.

thank fudge..i hope you slip on some tapas and score an own goal.

gollum_2.jpg

I doubt it was all down to Alonso. They also had Mascherano, an almost error-free Reina, Gerrard playing off of Torres, a leader in Hyypia at the back. Over time, they just haven't really replaced those players. You could say they replaced Mascherano with a defensive midfielder in Lucas who even though has improved greatly is obviously no where near Mascheranos ability. They haven't replaced Torres and Gerrard doesn't really do that role anymore.

I doubt it was all down to Alonso. They also had Mascherano, an almost error-free Reina, Gerrard playing off of Torres, a leader in Hyypia at the back. Over time, they just haven't really replaced those players. You could say they replaced Mascherano with a defensive midfielder in Lucas who even though has improved greatly is obviously no where near Mascheranos ability. They haven't replaced Torres and Gerrard doesn't really do that role anymore.

I didn't say it was all down to him. But the rot at Liverpool started the season following his sale to Madrid.

I didn't say it was all down to him. But the rot at Liverpool started the season following his sale to Madrid.

I'm not disagreeing. That year, Torres was out with injury, they obviously lost Xabi Alonso, Mascherano was unhappy and wanted to leave, they never got a replacement for Alonso. The player they wanted to replace him with Aquilani was just injury prone and it never worked out. Also they lost the leader in Hyypia.

He was playing alongside Mascherano and Gerrard at Liverpoool and in the Real Madrid or Spanish midfields. I'd assume Modric would look better in such company as well. I'm not saying Modric is better either but you can't really use the relative achievements of the teams to determine who is better.

Its funny to look back at how Rafa wanted Barry to replace Alonso, but wasn't prepared to meet Villa's price and then lost Alonso anyway a year later.

I did mention the fact that he has played in some great teams, but he must also be a great player to keep his place in the Spanish midfield. We'll see how Modric gets on, I think he'll succeed at Madrid. He's more versatile than Alonso as he proved in the Euros when he played further forward, but I'd still take Alonso.

Rafa Benitez going after Barry is one of the strangest moves in football in recent times and spelt the beginning of the end for him at Liverpool. Barry isn't fit to lace Alonso's boots

Possibly making his debut today?

Does he win a medal if he doesn't get onto the field?

Possibly making his debut today?

Does he win a medal if he doesn't get onto the field?

SUBSTITUTION - Real Madrid - Modric for Khedira

Seconds after a rather excitable Cristian Tello snatches at a shot for Barca, Luka Modric is off the bench to make his Real debut.

Modric Revisited.

Modric reveals 'love' for Spurs fans

Croatian holds no grudges.

New Real Madrid playmaker Luka Modric has revealed he holds no hard feelings towards former club Tottenham Hotspur.

The Croatian finally completed his*protracted*£33m move to the Bernebeu last month, after a summer of fierce negotiations between the clubs.

Modric was thought to be furious with Spurs – particularly chairman Daniel Levy – for refusing to allow him to join the Spanish giants sooner, while the former Dynamo Zagreb man was also left upset by the Londoners’ refusal to grant him a move to Chelsea last summer.

But the 26-year-old has revealed quite different sentiments, saying he has nothing but fond memories from his time in the Premier League.

“I have nothing but great memories from my time with Tottenham and nothing will ever take away this wonderful part of my career,” Modric is quoted as saying by ESPN. “The fans gave me so much love and respect during my time there and I want them to know that the feeling is mutual from me to them.

“The chance to join the biggest club in world football was impossible for me to ignore and this is the reason why I left Tottenham. It was a little difficult in the final few weeks as the transfer went on for longer than expected, but I hope there is no hard feelings towards me from Spurs.”

Modric’s feelings may not be shared by all of the White Hart Lane faithful, however. The midfield schemer refused to participate in the club’s pre-season tour of the US this July and sat out Spurs opening two league games, as he angled for a move to Spain.

---

I know its easy to say these things when you get what you want, but its nice nonetheless...

anyone who was lucky enough to watch him play in person will understand how special he is, the guy plays the game in slow motion, we were lucky to have him grace our team for 4 years...

Ive followed Real since i was a kid so i can still appreciate him ;)

Re: Ratface Revisited.

I was just in Croatia, and just got to talking to two Croatian guys who told me they were in Luka's class at school. They had nothing but nice things to say about him and were telling me how hard he worked to make it in life. For these kids growing up in war torn Croatia ambition is something that cannot really be taken very lightly, and if he was going to be one of the best in the world, then lets be honest, as a personal obligation to himself he had to move to Madrid. We got 4 great years from this guy, lets just be grateful and let him be the best he can be. This isn't some kid from London after all, lets get real with what being a footballer means.

Back