• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modern Football Fans Are Rubbish

CoolburyClub

Scott Houghton
Old and often regurgitated theme I know but ffs what was going on tonight? Even the Inter game there was more of abuzz about it with at least one or two blokes around me at least doing their best to sing along and get the new age zombified fan going.

Tonight, quarter-final of the Europa League and nothing. It was a morgue. Is this what football's really about these days?

Yeah the team played poorly, AVB shouldn't be picking Gallas and we never really had a coherent game plan.

But all that aside where was the support? Subdued don't even begin to describe it. Some of these fans are in for a shock when Bale leaves and is replaced by the cut price version who will knowing our luck turn out to be another David Bentley.

Gutted about tonight. Gutted for the fans I used to know. For the ones I watched the game with tonight though? Nah, not really, sod em barely recognise em as Spurs to be honest. Po faced clappers who have all the charisma of a stale weetabix.

Am gutted for the Spurs I used to love following, always will be despite my disgust at the pitiful sanitised nonsense that is the modern football experience.

Just had to be said tonight the support was dreadful.

Last edited:
Atmosphere against Inter was better because the crowd thought a match against Inter was worth getting worked up for.

The biggest issue with modern football fans is short termism, a five second memory and over reacting to every incident. The same as the society that they come from.

Old and often regurgitated theme I know but ffs what was going on tonight? Even the Inter game there was more of abuzz about it with at least one or two blokes around me at least doing their best to sing along and get the new age zombified fan going.

Tonight, quarter-final of the Europa League and nothing. It was a morgue. Is this what football's really about these days?

Yeah the team played poorly, AVB shouldn't be picking Gallas and we never really had a coherent game plan.

But all that aside where was the support? Subdued don't even begin to describe it. Some of these fans are in for a shock when Bale leaves and is replaced by the cut price version who will knowing our luck turn out to be another David Bentley.

Gutted about tonight. Gutted for the fans I used to know. For the ones I watched the game with tonight though? Nah, not really, sod em barely recognise em as Spurs to be honest. Po faced clappers who have all the charisma of a stale weetabix.

Am gutted for the Spurs I used to love following, always will be despite my disgust at the pitiful sanitised nonsense that is the modern football experience.

Agreed, our support has been woeful for the last couple of years at least. Success has spoiled us, and the fans need to shoulder their share of the blame for any end-of-season collapses.

Atmosphere was shocking last night. Started well, Basel scored and the place went silent. Got back to 2-1 and a bit of a roar up to half time. 2nd half nothing, even when we equalised. You'd think the crowd would've pushed the team on to win once we got level but it was like a morgue in the 2nd half. Shocking.

It will always be like this with two similar tournaments in Europe I reckon. Winning matches is great, playing poorly, losing or drawing and it's just the Europa League and we can concentrate on the league and getting into the real tournament.

It's the demographic of the football supporter today. It's gone from a working class game where the man works hard and uses a larger percentage of his salary to the man who has more disposable income. Take it or leave it as entertainment

I miss the good old supporting from back home.

[video=youtube;swIPHlA1J5w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swIPHlA1J5w[/video]

i've been going to the Lane for over 20 years, i've always been whinging bastard and i've rarely sung, even in the days of Gazza and Lineker, its not just modern fans, there has always been plenty of ****s like me there

Strange though, I remember going to the PSV game a few years back when we needed a goal the whole stadium sang "Martin Jol's blue and white army" until we scored. Atmosphere was great that night in the same competition. Its the part timers and tourists joining the party now we have better players that bring the atmosphere down IMO.

Strange though, I remember going to the PSV game a few years back when we needed a goal the whole stadium sang "Martin Jol's blue and white army" until we scored. Atmosphere was great that night in the same competition. Its the part timers and tourists joining the party now we have better players that bring the atmosphere down IMO.

I'd put PSV up there with Inter in the "Matches most fans can get really excited about" category. Basil don't quite make that category.

The Europa has been so devalued that the only thing it has left is history - so it makes sense that the fans see it as a "Big European Night" when we play clubs with history/European pedigree - like Inter, PSV, etc. I suspect that had we drawn Benfica it would have been like that too.

I'm not having this nonsense that European nights at the Lane have always been like this. I've never known a crowd this flat. We went two down, played poorly looked inept at the back but as the game went on it was like watching a punctured ball deflate and though the players brought us level instead of being lifted they appeared to flatten out with the crowd.

That's what support is there for. That's why they call it support! And if a European quarter-final ain't enough to get you going and give it then what will?

And this fixation with Champions League football baffles me frankly. We've got absolutely no chance of winning it. We're in a trophy that we had half a chance of winning until last night and though it looks over admittedly I can't see the Champions League reigning in anything other than a season in the doldrums and more yawning ambivalence from fans.

The Gazza and Lineker eras were marked by an FA Cup victory and that's what we remember more than the year we finished 3rd in 89-90 season.

And if you really believe it has always been like this look at a video of the FA Cup quarter-final at home v Notts County. Great atmosphere in that cup run that year and quite an atmosphere at the semi too.

Last edited:
Last night was not as bad as Fulham which was the nadir in terms of support for me.

I was block 39 last night. It was full of day trippers and tourists and people playing solitaire on their mobile phones.

There was a girl in the Bell before the game wearing a Liverpool hat..... Sad times.

Last night was not as bad as Fulham which was the nadir in terms of support for me.

I was block 39 last night. It was full of day trippers and tourists and people playing solitaire on their mobile phones.

There was a girl in the Bell before the game wearing a Liverpool hat..... Sad times.

I can believe this. Yet I'm 36100 on the waiting list, work my work life around our games so I can watch it on TV and get to one game every 3/4 and would KILL for a season ticket again but can't.

The biggest issue with modern football fans is short termism, a five second memory and over reacting to every incident. The same as the society that they come from.

You act like your some kind of superior? I don't agree with you either.

did you go?

I thought for 60 minutes it was alright - better than most games I have been to against non - elite teams - after 60 minutes it was crap. Shelf side were more vocal and trying to start songs but they fizzzled out.

did you go?

I thought for 60 minutes it was alright - better than most games I have been to against non - elite teams - after 60 minutes it was crap. Shelf side were more vocal and trying to start songs but they fizzzled out.

On tv, it sounded non-existant nearly all game. Not the best judge of things, granted, but you normally hear more than that.

Its give and take... The fans also need something to support... If you see a team who aren't giving it their all then why should the fans? If that equates to a fan being 'rubbish' then it also equates to a team being 'rubbish'. The reason I say 'give and take' is ultimately us fans pay a brickload of money to watch football... We pay through the good and bad times and that for me is 'support'. Its so easy not to go out and pay 900 quid plus expenses for a season but we all do it - because we love the club' not because we are glory hunters.

To be honest I am more up for it in the league than EL and that's because that's the bread and butter of football - it signals progression. Our leage position at end of season will determine our success going forward and that for me is far more important.

Why should we be happy if we sell Bale and replace him with a cut price 'Bentley'? How can we be happy with that kind of scenario? Unconditional love is one thing but when you're bein taken for a ride would be another (not that I'm saying we are taken for a ride). Taking one step forward two steps back is not progression and frustrates fans I guess.

Back