• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mitt Romney the next new leader of the free world!!!

[video=youtube;GA1nOIKodpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA1nOIKodpw[/video]

[video=youtube;vvXCVCEkdts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvXCVCEkdts[/video]

Some light relief from the campaign.........

Romney looked a bit clueless, but still a million times smarter than Bush. But that's the only positive I can come up with for Team Romney...

What do people from outside the US think of drone strikes? I think that Obama got lucky that this issue wasn't pressed hardly at all, and in fact, Romney agreed with Obama's drone policy.

Romney looked a bit clueless, but still a million times smarter than Bush. But that's the only positive I can come up with for Team Romney...

What do people from outside the US think of drone strikes? I think that Obama got lucky that this issue wasn't pressed hardly at all, and in fact, Romney agreed with Obama's drone policy.

I think the drone policy is terrible. I agree, Obama got lucky...

Depends on what they're used for.

If they're used for targets that troops would otherwise be used for then they're great - why risk lives on both sides? If they're used for targets that wouldn't usually be targets then not a good idea.

The drone policy doesn't seem to be a controversial issue in the US.

I can see justifiable reasons for using them, e.g. when targeting someone being protected by another state. Osama bin Laden would have been a good candidate for a drone attack.

Otherwise they are a cowardly approach. When you take the risk out of war, it makes it too easy to go to war.

Romney was clearly playing safe and trying to reassure moderate and right wing voters about his foreign policy, although this was quite different from his positions during the primary when he had a different target audience. It does sort of confirm he will say anything if convenient.

Romney's best bit, where he sounded most convincing, was when describing how he would get tough with China on jobs, patents, currency valuation, etc, although he gave no clues as to how he would do these things.

The most disturbing bit was his talk about Iran. He seems to want to go for the go-alone tough sanctions that have been so successful in overthrowing the Castro regime, rather than the diplomatic route that have got tough sanctions against Iran. How he thinks he will get Chinese and Russian support at the UN when he is publicly making them enemies was left unexplained.

Best Obama line: "You mentioned the navy, for example, and that we have fewer ships than we did in 1917. Well, governor, we also have fewer horses and bayonets, because the nature of our military's changed. We have these things called aircraft carriers, where planes land on them. We have these ships that go underwater, nuclear submarines".

Romney was clearly playing safe and trying to reassure moderate and right wing voters about his foreign policy, although this was quite different from his positions during the primary when he had a different target audience. It does sort of confirm he will say anything if convenient.

Romney's best bit, where he sounded most convincing, was when describing how he would get tough with China on jobs, patents, currency valuation, etc, although he gave no clues as to how he would do these things.

The most disturbing bit was his talk about Iran. He seems to want to go for the go-alone tough sanctions that have been so successful in overthrowing the Castro regime, rather than the diplomatic route that have got tough sanctions against Iran. How he thinks he will get Chinese and Russian support at the UN when he is publicly making them enemies was left unexplained.

Best Obama line: "You mentioned the navy, for example, and that we have fewer ships than we did in 1917. Well, governor, we also have fewer horses and bayonets, because the nature of our military's changed. We have these things called aircraft carriers, where planes land on them. We have these ships that go underwater, nuclear submarines".

therein lies the problem - i have seen little of evidence of this happening

But there's the rub. Romney is obviously an intelligent man. He has used it to great personal success, developing ways of making his company and himself massive profits, even if his methods were destructive and destroyed overall wealth. His methods were widely adopted by the finance industry. He has taken that same skill into politics and has succeeded in getting elected as governor in liberal Massachusetts and despite that getting the Republican nomination. It doesn't matter if his policies will work, it only matters if he can connvince enough of the voters that they will.

I have no doubt that he will continue to use that intelligence to further is own interests (e.g. the estate tax plan that will net his family £50m). Buts its one thing having this man in a position to destroy a few companies and a few thousand jobs. This is a man who could be responsible for overseeing major reform of Medicare, Social Security and the whole tax system in the US and will have a finger on the nuclear button. We saw his charm offensive on his visit to Britain and other other allies. Now he is proposing to confront Russia and China and disrupt the current unity on stopping Iran get nuclear weapons. This is a man with no scruples and will be bad for the US and for the world.

Last edited:
I liked the "Yo Romney, the 1980s called and they want their foreign policy back"

1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

When going for Bin Laden, I understand why they had to send our best troops to deal with him. There were civilians in the compound (not that that seems to stop the drones), and a positive ID would be needed after killing or capturing him. I was honestly hoping that OBL would be captured alive and brought to trial, but as long as he's at the bottom of the ocean, I won't complain too much.

On China, Romney labeling them as a "currency manipulator" would make them realize all their wrong-doing and force them to change their ways and start forcing Chinese companies to pay their workers higher wages.
#-o

That was another good line of Obama's:

"And the 1980's are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back — because the Cold War has been over for 20 years. But Governor, when it comes to our foreign policy, you seem to want to import the foreign policies of the 1980's, just like the social policy of the 1950's, and the economic policies of the 1920's."​

is it true romney wears magic underpants?

Yes, they're impervious to (bull)brick stains.

I made the mistake of getting into an argument with dumb-as-brick conservatives on google+. Basically, when the argument didn't go their way, they claimed I deleted my post to change the narrative. I'm 90% sure someone couldn't possibly be that stupid, but 10% of me thinks that they actually believe the lies that they tell. How can someone be so delusional?

I just want this fudging election to be over. Too many dipbricks out there to deal with, but at least we can have a conversation in this thread. I know the conservatives are outnumbered but I still respect their opinions as long as it's not based on fabrications. That's why I'm extra-careful about doing my research.

I'm not sure the conservatives are outnumbered. Its more that the conservatives here (me, Leeds) find Romney frightening.

I'm a little confused with the whole Romney/Iran thing. I thought foreign policy was his strong point?

As I was led to believe, many in the US who support Obama are a little scared by his softly-softly approach to letting religious nutjobs make nuclear weapons. Did I have that wrong?

That isn't Obama's positition at all.

He has presided over the tougest sanctions ever imposed on Iran, which is why their currency has slumped by 40% in the past 2 weeks.

This is the most effective policy as the shopkeepers costs have skyrocketed and they have been out protesting.

There isn't a thing Obama could do that he hasn't done, short of pre-emptive strikes.

Is that what you're advocating:?

That isn't Obama's positition at all.

He has presided over the tougest sanctions ever imposed on Iran, which is why their currency has slumped by 40% in the past 2 weeks.

This is the most effective policy as the shopkeepers costs have skyrocketed and they have been out protesting.

There isn't a thing Obama could do that he hasn't done, short of pre-emptive strikes.

Is that what you're advocating:?

Not yet, no. Although I think that they will be in a position to use weapons before the sanctions can stop them.

At some point I suspect there will be a far tougher decision to make and I'm not sure Obama is the man to make it (not sure Romney is either). I thought that was a common opinion in the US too.

Back