• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michael Dawson

Re: Dawson

For sure it can be a pain but I recommend you try and view it differently, if only for your own sanity! For a start it's 100% better than the interminable passing across the back we saw under AVB that often ended up back to the goalie, or even worse, yielding possession in a dangerous area and setting up an opposition attack.

Secondly although a high percentage of his long balls do go astray, a fair few still come back to us when the defender heads clear or out of play, thus allowing us to start an attack high up the pitch. I'm no lover of the long ball per se, I'd much rather we passed the ball quickly and accurately out of defence, but at least Dawson mostly aims to find one of our attacking players, they are not just punts upfield as they are usually portrayed. And when they do find their man, they're often every bit as effective as anything Glenn managed even if they lack all of his sublime style and grace.

I'm enjoying this debate matey, but please, this IS stretching it!!!!! :ross:

I actually enjoyed the image…and let's agree on the fact that whatever about his current performances and opinions of them, Michael Dawson will always be a legend of Tottenham Hotspur FC.

I agree. He was a real Spurs warrior in his day. His best performances were always when paired with a "thinking" CB ala King. It's a shame his best days are behind him IMO.

If Kaboul is finished, then we desperately need a new young centre half in this mould (only hopefully faster!) to play alongside Verts or Vlad.

The Dawson diagonal is the bane of my life.

It has been a constant in my life. Since I was young, I have drawn succour from shouting DAWSONNNNN!!! as the ball glides towards the far left of the pitch. Something dependable that I can rely on to always be there. It's like loving how your dad smells just a little bit of damp. Even though you know it's a terrible, heinous thing, you just can't help yourself.

I actually enjoyed the image…and let's agree on the fact that whatever about his current performances and opinions of them, Michael Dawson will always be a legend of Tottenham Hotspur FC.

Maybe it'll be controversial but I think the word legend is perhaps a bit generous, the word is thrown around a lot these days.

He's consistently given his best for the club and has always shown good attitude, seems like a genuinely likeable person which is becoming rarer and rarer with footballers it seems but he has one won honour with the club, the league cup in 2008. He's been with us during some good times and also some bad times, is that enough for him to qualify as a legend?

Maybe it'll be controversial but I think the word legend is perhaps a bit generous, the word is thrown around a lot these days.

He's consistently given his best for the club and has always shown good attitude, seems like a genuinely likeable person which is becoming rarer and rarer with footballers it seems but he has one won honour with the club, the league cup in 2008. He's been with us during some good times and also some bad times, is that enough for him to qualify as a legend?

No, it's a really fair question IMO.

I think when compared to Dave Mackay, Blanchflower, Baily, Sir Bill, Glennda and even Burky, the term could be generous. But in the context of the modern game, the Premiership era, he has consistently delivered character, loyalty effort and spirit. So in modern terms I would absolutely term him a Spurs legend. But it's a fine quetion nonetheless...

No, it's a really fair question IMO.

I think when compared to Dave Mackay, Blanchflower, Baily, Sir Bill, Glennda and even Burky, the term could be generous. But in the context of the modern game, the Premiership era, he has consistently delivered character, loyalty effort and spirit. So in modern terms I would absolutely term him a Spurs legend. But it's a fine quetion nonetheless...

Agree, he's never going to be talked about in the same breath as those footballing Gods, but for his exceptional dedication, leadership and longevity he surely deserves recognition as a true Spurs legend.

It is an interesting debate. Everybody will have different criteria as to what they consider a legend. I think given his length of time with us, number of games played, the fact he stayed to fight for us place when basically being sold out the door means he deserves that status. Obviously by comparison to people like Mackay, Greaves, Hoddle etc it is a little strong but I think they are considered based on individual quality, length of service and trophies won.

Ginola and Klinsmann are lauded as legends because of their style and quality whilst Mabbutt is a gentleman and lauded for that reason more than any. None of those players won anywhere near as much as they should have with Spurs but it doesn't detract from their status and neither should it with Dawson, especially if he makes 10 years with us.

One thing I consider is that in 15 years time, if Michael Dawson was brought on to chat at HT, would he get a good reception? Would he have people singing his name while he tried to speak? I think he would which means he is very fondly thought of on the whole and therefore, for whatever reason, a legendary Tottenham Hotspur player.

It is an interesting debate. Everybody will have different criteria as to what they consider a legend. I think given his length of time with us, number of games played, the fact he stayed to fight for us place when basically being sold out the door means he deserves that status. Obviously by comparison to people like Mackay, Greaves, Hoddle etc it is a little strong but I think they are considered based on individual quality, length of service and trophies won.

Ginola and Klinsmann are lauded as legends because of their style and quality whilst Mabbutt is a gentleman and lauded for that reason more than any. None of those players won anywhere near as much as they should have with Spurs but it doesn't detract from their status and neither should it with Dawson, especially if he makes 10 years with us.

One thing I consider is that in 15 years time, if Michael Dawson was brought on to chat at HT, would he get a good reception? Would he have people singing his name while he tried to speak? I think he would which means he is very fondly thought of on the whole and therefore, for whatever reason, a legendary Tottenham Hotspur player.

And if he ever got a job as a pundit (which I would say is a decent bet) you know he will be all spurs.

It has been a constant in my life. Since I was young, I have drawn succour from shouting DAWSONNNNN!!! as the ball glides towards the far left of the pitch. Something dependable that I can rely on to always be there. It's like loving how your dad smells just a little bit of damp. Even though you know it's a terrible, heinous thing, you just can't help yourself.

I'd hazard a guess that his completion rate on those long diagonals is better than a lot of midfielders.

I'd hazard a guess that his completion rate on those long diagonals is better than a lot of midfielders.

Our team average pass success rate (all types) is 83% - Dawson's is also 83%. Only Rose and Kaboul (small sample size) have a lower completion rate out of our first team defenders.

Kaboul actually has a longer average pass length at 24m to Dawson's 23m, but Dawson's long ball average is 43m to Kaboul's 40m. Only our keepers have an average pass length longer than those two.

Dawson is by far our busiest defender with an average of 12 "defensive actions" (clearances, blocks or tackles) per match. Nearest second is Vlad on 8, followed by Vertonghen and Rose on 7.

This season he's made one defensive error that led to a goal, matched by Rose, Walker, Vertonghen, Adebayor and Paulinho.

Our team average pass success rate (all types) is 83% - Dawson's is also 83%. Only Rose and Kaboul (small sample size) have a lower completion rate out of our first team defenders.

Kaboul actually has a longer average pass length at 24m to Dawson's 23m, but Dawson's long ball average is 43m to Kaboul's 40m. Only our keepers have an average pass length longer than those two.

Dawson is by far our busiest defender with an average of 12 "defensive actions" (clearances, blocks or tackles) per match. Nearest second is Vlad on 8, followed by Vertonghen and Rose on 7.

This season he's made one defensive error that led to a goal, matched by Rose, Walker, Vertonghen, Adebayor and Paulinho.

Glad you posted that. Imo Dawson cops far more than his fair share of stick because of his shall we say unsophisticated style. Whilst it's true his poor positional sense and/or lack of mobility can also get us into trouble, he doesn't get enough credit for the sheer number of times he comes to the rescue with last-ditch clearances and the like.

I agree that Daws is on the decline to Championship level but he was good tonight.

He does what he does well. The rest he is awful at. They stick it in the box and he is great at last ditch headers and throwing himself in front of shots. But his positional play and lack of mobility get badly shown up. And his lack of movement on pushing out for free kicks was also shown up today.

Back