• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Met a legend!

Roy1983

Edward Sheringham
Was gonna put it in random but thought more might see it here.

Was on the shop floor today helping people fill out their grand national slips. The door opens and in walks, wearing a Tottenham polo shirt, Cliff Jones!

There were 2 of us and I must admit I jumped in front of the other guy like some 18stone monster offering my hand and saying 'Pleasure to meet you Mr Jones'. I helped him fill out his quick slip and told him I hoped for a win tomorrow to which he replied 'its a big game son'.

He said he'd be up there tomorrow and that he did a bit of hospitality and laughed that he earnt more from that than he did when he played!

As he walked out he said 'Nice to meet you'. They don't make them like him anymore eh? Couldn't believe how slight built he was!

Heard him on the Spurs Show before, comes across as a really nice guy. Class act. Glad you met him Roy, you deserved a break like that after the week that's been buddy :)

Heard him on the Spurs Show before, comes across as a really nice guy. Class act. Glad you met him Roy, you deserved a break like that after the week that's been buddy :)

Cheers mate :). It was my first day back after the hold up, I only went in today as it was the national and it was busy! Made it worthwhile going in!

The thing that struck me is no one else knew who he was. I was only with him for 2/3 minutes granted but the shop was full even with guys with spurs tops on and he walked straight out with no one batting an eyelid.

I wonder how he feels about not being noticed by others like that? Probably too un-assuming to care, TBH.

Remember bumping into The legend Dave Mackay outside the Paxton with my eldest. Surprised at how "average" in size he actrually looked compared to certain photos

A proper Spurs legend he the best winger i have seen at the lane, would score 20 goals a season, was great with his head and could catch pigeons

I'm fairly good friends with his grandson Scott Neilson who plays for Luton having been at Crawley previously but haven't ever met Cliff himself. Real real privilege.

You guys who I will forever be jealous of (Fortunate enough to see THAT team play) how good was he?

Remember bumping into The legend Dave Mackay outside the Paxton with my eldest. Surprised at how "average" in size he actrually looked compared to certain photos

Earlier this season I was killing time waiting for the roads to clear apres match in the portakabin supporter's shop in the Paxton, as many are probably aware there's a hoarding with photos of club icons (hate the way the word legend is misused) on it, there was an old boy probably in his seventies explaining to a youngster about different shots, naming the players and recounting personal anecdotes about his relationship and time spent with them, from the things he was telling the kid I guessed was his grandson or even great grandson he was playing for Spurs around the time we did the double, I'm sad to say I didn't recognise him for sure (had an inkling who it was) and sadder to say he didn't look as if he was particularly flush either. Club icons shouldn't be wearing car coats from M&S or Primark except by choice, that's part of the reason why I don't begrudge modern footballers a penny of the money they earn.

I'm fairly good friends with his grandson Scott Neilson who plays for Luton having been at Crawley previously but haven't ever met Cliff himself. Real real privilege.

You guys who I will forever be jealous of (Fortunate enough to see THAT team play) how good was he?

I didn't see THAT team play but saw Cliff play later on, my Dad summed it up, "he's Spurs through and through and he'd dive through a brick wall for Spurs". I took my (now eighteen but then 8 year old son to meet him at the megastore one day, he asked my son's name (Liam), then asked if he was Irish, I explained that my Dad who used to watch and love Cliff was and got me and ultimately Liam into Spurs, no need for it but just the little personal touch he applied to every kid in that line marked him out as a gentleman in our eyes.

It's because of little touches like that that my son is totally polluted and there's no danger of his kids ever being anything other than Spurs.

Great story Gord. I could tell he was a real gent just by how he spoke. Not an ounce of fat on him though in his spurs polo shirt and blue tracksuit bottoms either!!

Nice one Roy. Dont get to meet too many celebs at work, although at one of my previous branches I worked at, I served Arjan de Zeeuw, just after he got 'canned' from Coventry City (didnt go down too well when I asked him who he was playing that weekend) and Sammy McIlroy

Back