• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Media centres - what's your setup?

Lugash

Rohan Ricketts
Hi all

So, I'm moving properties and trying to figure out how to do this.

Basically, I'd like to watch the usual terrestrial channels and stream the usual stuff like Iplayer and Netflix.

I'd also like to be able to watch the football as seamlessly as possible - whether that means I need to get Sky Sports etc, I don't know.

What do you reckon? Do I just need one of those fully loaded Android boxes or something? Apparently Kodi could fulfil all my needs....

So clueless!

Cheers!

There isn't really anything that works seamlessly for everything and that's down to 2 issues:
  1. It's almost impossible to get Sky running through a computer properly (it can be done, but there's a lot of fiddling around with hardware and it's not very neat)
  2. Most android boxes on the market have really clunky apps for things like Netflix, etc

So my best solution so far it a PC with a dual DVB-T card in for watching/recording live TV. I run Windows 10 in Metro mode with the Netflix app and Kodi, I download most things via torrents which I can remote control from my phone/laptop to my PC.

That means I only have to exit Kodi/Metro (and therefore use a mouse) for watching Amazon Prime and Sky Go. I don't tend to use Sky Go much as I have a subscription to a load of channels that is compatible with Kodi and Amazon Prime is not something I use all that often.

It's still a little clunky and the wife is still asking when she can just control it all from a remote like a normal TV, but it's the best solution I've found so far.

I am using a fire stick for Netflix and Prime, was using it for Kodi also but have a got an 2GB Android box and am thinking of going openelec and using it purely for a Kodi and getting a wired connection to it so my IPTV is smoother.

I am using a fire stick for Netflix and Prime, was using it for Kodi also but have a got an 2GB Android box and am thinking of going openelec and using it purely for a Kodi and getting a wired connection to it so my IPTV is smoother.
Firetv box if you want it to be wired. Used media pc, raspberry pi and firetv. For ease of use /functionality the box is best. . Only live TV I watch through it is football however so can't comment on iptv

Back