• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Can't help but feel sorry for Pochettino. Won't be surprised if he becomes the next victim of Levy's stupid management. Pochettino should have stayed at Southampton and get more managerial experience before moving to a big club like Spurs. Young managers like Pochettino will always have problem handling the pressure and expectations at Spurs.

The problem isn't the managers. It's the unrealistic expectations and therefore pressure that is unnecessarily heaped on them

Can't help but feel sorry for Pochettino. Won't be surprised if he becomes the next victim of Levy's stupid management. Pochettino should have stayed at Southampton and get more managerial experience before moving to a big club like Spurs. Young managers like Pochettino will always have problem handling the pressure and expectations at Spurs.

The thing is handling expectations is one thing, most managers that Levy has employed can do that. But handling unrealistic expectations is a different thing, and this comes from both the chairman and our fans...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

The problem isn't the managers. It's the unrealistic expectations and therefore pressure that is unnecessarily heaped on them

I keep hearing this, so I'm wondering what 'unrealistic expectations' you feel have been placed on Poch so far? I've seen some people critique the results and performances against West Brom and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, for example. That would be the same of any manager. But I've not seen anyone demanding Top4 this season, or such.

I keep hearing this, so I'm wondering what 'unrealistic expectations' you feel have been placed on Poch so far? I've seen some people critique the results and performances against West Brom and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, for example. That would be the same of any manager. But I've not seen anyone demanding Top4 this season, or such.

I wasn't really referring to Poch, more the past managers to be honest.

I agree with you on the most part on Poch, I don't think anyone is demanding top 4, some of the comments on here are daft following a defeat but that's pretty much the case on every internet football forum.

Is the point to make sense?

Or is it to avoid saying Dier, Kaboul, Lamela, Ade and Capoue played crap and the whole squad hate playing at WHL in the league because the atmosphere is so poisonous.

There's an element of truth about our small pitch being a hindrance, but essentially I assumed it was an old school diversionary tactic.

The atmosphere at WHL in the league isn't at all poisonous.... A few half hearted boos at the end of (another) poor performance does not constitute a poisonous atmosphere at all. However, if our home league form continues trundling along as it is now then I can certainly see it becoming so.

The atmosphere at WHL in the league isn't at all poisonous.... A few half hearted boos at the end of (another) poor performance does not constitute a poisonous atmosphere at all. However, if our home league form continues trundling along as it is now then I can certainly see it becoming so.

It's not so much active booing (although Paulinho managed to get some last night just for coming off the bench), but the unrest and groaning if we haven't scored in the first 15 minutes. It's the overinflated sense of entitlement/expectation that starts making the players force things, panic and ultimately make errors. Some more unconditional support Palace style would make a big difference IMO.

I can only assume you dont go to WHL much? If you do then Id love to know where you sit as its more than a 'ew half hearted boos' and fans certainly don't wait until the end of the game to voice their negativity, if things aren't going to plan it doesn't take long for a good chunk of fans to get on the teams back. That being said, I agree that poisonous is perhaps a little strong....

I said last year about the size of the pitch. If you look at City, Arsenal and United, their pitches look so much bigger than ours. Even Liverpoo's look bigger and i think this does help as it does stretch the play a little more.

I said last year about the size of the pitch. If you look at City, Arsenal and United, their pitches look so much bigger than ours. Even Liverpoo's look bigger and i think this does help as it does stretch the play a little more.

Dembele mentioned it a year ago too, so it's obviously something that has been brewing longer than Poch: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...art-lane-pitch-for-lack-of-goals-8908242.html

Is there anything we can do for the next season or two before we go to Milton Keynes (save taking rows of seats out)? I assume the warm-up areas are already at the minimum permitted?

Dembele mentioned it a year ago too, so it's obviously something that has been brewing longer than Poch: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...art-lane-pitch-for-lack-of-goals-8908242.html

Is there anything we can do for the next season or two before we go to Milton Keynes (save taking rows of seats out)? I assume the warm-up areas are already at the minimum permitted?
It would be impossible to extend the width of the pitch without spending some serious money. All of the undersoil heating and drainage would need to be redone and the pitch comes pretty close to the stands as it is. I think that it is just our stadium showing its age.

I can only assume you dont go to WHL much? If you do then Id love to know where you sit as its more than a 'ew half hearted boos' and fans certainly don't wait until the end of the game to voice their negativity, if things aren't going to plan it doesn't take long for a good chunk of fans to get on the teams back. That being said, I agree that poisonous is perhaps a little strong....

I have a season ticket near the front of the East Upper and have had a season ticket at Spurs for approximately 20 years. I have therefore seen support that really was 'poisonous'. I also go away reasonably regularly and have witnessed truly negative and poisonous atmospheres. A good example was The Emirates a few years ago when we were 2-0 up in the first half. I haven't witnessed anything like that at WHL for many years.

I think using the atmosphere at WHL is a weak excuse and I would question any manager who does this. Hopefully Pochettino will not go down this route.

Last edited:
I have a season ticket near the front of the East Upper and have had a season ticket at Spurs for approximately 20 years. I have therefore seen support that really was 'poisonous'. I also go away reasonably regularly and have witnessed truly negative and poisonous atmospheres. A good example was The Emirates a few years ago when we were 2-0 up in the first half. I haven't witnessed anything like that at WHL for many years.

Its not the worst atmosphere but that doesn't make it ok. Our fans do give players a lot of grief at WHL - that doesn't help matters at all, but like I say I agree poisonous is a bit strong....

Its not the worst atmosphere but that doesn't make it ok. Our fans do give players a lot of grief at WHL - that doesn't help matters at all, but like I say I agree poisonous is a bit strong....

I'm not saying whether or not it is OK.... I was saying that it isn't "poisonous" and that I do not believe the atmosphere at WHL has any bearing on how well/badly we play. I would also argue that if we have players who are adversely affected by our atmosphere then we need to get rid of them very quickly as they have completely the wrong mentality.

I'm not saying whether or not it is OK.... I was saying that it isn't "poisonous" and that I do not believe the atmosphere at WHL has any bearing on how well/badly we play. I would also argue that if we have players who are adversely affected by our atmosphere then we need to get rid of them very quickly as they have completely the wrong mentality.

Really? I'd be surprised if players weren't affected by your own fans abusing you and booing you etc, but then again what would I know about that....

Pitch, Fans, not having his perfect choice are all excuses, people talk about mentality, but mentality begins with stop making excuses.

Side seemed a bit better against obviously much lower opposition.

Real test is team picked against Villa, if we go back to Capoue/Ade/Lamela combo, I will really be concerned by his ability to learn

Really? I'd be surprised if players weren't affected by your own fans abusing you and booing you etc, but then again what would I know about that....

I might take your point.... If that were actually happening... But it's not. There is a bit of a groan when somebody does something stupid/poor just as there is at any ground. Boos then tend to come as the ref blows the final whistle and we have taken zero points off of another team that we need to be beating and those those boos are really not THAT bad either.

Raziel makes a very good point about mentality and excuses. For example, how did Arsenal manage to turn their performance around and change that 2-0 defecit against us a few seasons ago into a comprehensive win despite their fans getting on their backs FAR more than anything I have heard at WHL? It's all about mentality and never accepting defeat. This is also why they score so many late equalisers/winners. I think we had over 25 minutes against Saudi Sportswashing Machine (maybe more) to get an equaliser/winner and yet we didn't look any more likely to score in that time. If we have players who can't perform because the crowd might groan a little bit when they make a bad mistake or who boo a little bit after we've been beaten then I maintain that we need to replace them.

It's not so much active booing (although Paulinho managed to get some last night just for coming off the bench), but the unrest and groaning if we haven't scored in the first 15 minutes. It's the overinflated sense of entitlement/expectation that starts making the players force things, panic and ultimately make errors. Some more unconditional support Palace style would make a big difference IMO.

This also goes practically all of the top 7. Arsenal fans are EXACTLY the same. The only difference is the other teams are better so usually they are ahead in the home games more than we are. The atmosphere was gradually getting worse even when Redknapp was here and even before.

As Raziel points out, it just seems like an excuse. Not defending the atmosphere at our place, but the top teams all have crap support at home and it doesn't stop them. Crystal Palace have great support but it doesn't propel them to the top 6.

Back