• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

If there's a choice between being reactive and destabilising Poch, I'd choose the former. Especially given that we don't seem to have infinite scouting resource.

I dont think its about destabilising Poch, rather just keeping up on current events.

Having an eye on world football keeping tabs on people that would fit with us. Doesnt have to be super indepth or "official".

I really just dont want to end up with Poch going and another Sherwood/Redknapp/flavour of the month situation to follow.

Id like some continuity, someone with a similar ethos to come in and keep the ball rolling...

Certainly not easy!

I would really hope we have people out there keeping tabs on management talent as much as playing talent.

It makes sense to have the proper contingency in place.

Sadly this isn't historically a strength for Levy, who seems rather reactive on this front.

I was surprised how many fans have tended to stick their collective fingers in their collective ears while shouting 'la la la la I can't hear you'.
OR
If we don't think about or look at the large grey mammal in the corner of the room sitting on a pile of poo then it is not there!

Pochetino will leave. It is just when.
After a five-year stint, why should we be surprised?
Sad yes, but we should not shut down discussing it.

I'm becoming increasingly aware of the tricky problem long-term successful managers can cause. It becomes a bit of a double-edged sword.

I was surprised how many fans have tended to stick their collective fingers in their collective ears while shouting 'la la la la I can't hear you'.
OR
If we don't think about or look at the large grey mammal in the corner of the room sitting on a pile of poo then it is not there!

I'm becoming increasingly aware of the tricky problem long-term successful managers can cause. It becomes a bit of a double-edged sword.
I don’t think he will leave until he’s won trophies for us. Not just because he’s like to achieve that with us as he genuinely is attached to the club, but because he will only go to one of the elite clubs. And whilst always tentatively linked to such clubs they never seriously make moves for him, and this is almost 100% because he hasn’t won anything. How many of the elite hire managers who haven’t won practically everything there is to win in the game? It doesn’t happen often....

I don’t think he will leave until he’s won trophies for us. Not just because he’s like to achieve that with us as he genuinely is attached to the club, but because he will only go to one of the elite clubs. And whilst always tentatively linked to such clubs they never seriously make moves for him, and this is almost 400% because he hasn’t won anything. How many of the elite hire managers who haven’t won practically everything there is to win in the game? It doesn’t happen often....

Being serious, yes I would agree about he's not won anything.
It will be though an alignment of situations like at Rael or ManU that may circumvent your correct logic.

I don't think the issue about Poch staying or going is linked to simply him wanting to win a trophy with us; yes, that would be nice and certainly boost his stock.
The key will simply be whether he thinks our board are really ambitious on the football front and are 'brave' to push the club on to compete at the upper levels.
If Poch doubts they are ambitious/brave, he'll be off this summer imo; he can't do that much more than he has done already

Last edited:
OR

Of course he'll leave at some point, personally I dont think it will be soon but of course eventually.

Id just like to be prepared when we do.

Ideally a manager who has similar style so he can hit the ground running. Not "the same", but similar enough any changes arent a big disruption

I don't think the issue about Poch staying or going is linked to simply him wanting to win a trophy with us; yes, that would be nice and certainly boost his stick.
The key will simply be whether he thinks our board are really ambitious on the football front and are 'brave' to push the club on to compete at the upper levels.
If Poch doubts they are ambitious/brave, he'll be off this summer imo; he can't do that much more than he has done already
No the main point about Poch winning trophies was that the biggest clubs want managers who have proven track records of winning things - how often do you see Real Madrid employing someone who hasn’t won trophies? The fact Poch would want to win trophies with us and leave a legacy is just another element to it...

No the main point about Poch winning trophies was that the biggest clubs want managers who have proven track records of winning things - how often do you see Real Madrid employing someone who hasn’t won trophies? The fact Poch would want to win trophies with us and leave a legacy is just another element to it...

Zidane hadn't won anything and the current manger hasnt won anything that I know of (I haven't checked)

Their a club who need a name as much as anything... pretty much like United have gone

Real Madrid have often gone for managers who hadn't won anything/much beforehand: Pellegrini, Zidane and Lopetegui and just a few off the top of my head.

Yes, it certainly is a plus but as we've seen with their pursuit of Poch, the coaching results are just as key if not more

Personally I think the keys to Poch staying are two fold:

1) He doesnt make a fast impact, and big clubs dont have patience. It takes time for his ethos to settle in, which is a worry to think whether or not he will get time to implement it if he moves.

2) He is in a position of real power at Spurs. He has clout (notice how he has gone from 'head coach' to 'manager'). He has the Chairmans ear and free reign. Where else will he walk into that sort of situation?

Personally I think the keys to Poch staying are two fold:

1) He doesnt make a fast impact, and big clubs dont have patience. It takes time for his ethos to settle in, which is a worry to think whether or not he will get time to implement it if he moves.

2) He is in a position of real power at Spurs. He has clout (notice how he has gone from 'head coach' to 'manager'). He has the Chairmans ear and free reign. Where else will he walk into that sort of situation?

I think a big club that would require a big build with some fresh legs and who would want to lower the average age of the squad. In fact, Poch would be perfect for Bayern at this time imo.
Plus i think the Italian big clubs would embrace his methods more than most

Zidane hadn't won anything and the current manger hasnt won anything that I know of (I haven't checked)

Their a club who need a name as much as anything... pretty much like United have gone
I was thinking about Man U and the one time they didn’t go for a name was Moyes who like Poch took a smaller club with limited resources to punch above their weight and that didn’t work out. So hopefully they’ll be put off after that experience....

Real Madrid have often gone for managers who hadn't won anything/much beforehand: Pellegrini, Zidane and Lopetegui and just a few off the top of my head.

Yes, it certainly is a plus but as we've seen with their pursuit of Poch, the coaching results are just as key if not more
With whose pursuit of Poch? Real? Seeing how Real go about perusing personnel, I am yet to see them seriously after him....

With whose pursuit of Poch? Real? Seeing how Real go about perusing personnel, I am yet to see them seriously after him....

The Levy factor stops things atm, plus Poch not returning their calls atm..both those things are not set in stone as to never changing...

I think a big club that would require a big build with some fresh legs and who would want to lower the average age of the squad. In fact, Poch would be perfect for Bayern at this time imo.
Plus i think the Italian big clubs would embrace his methods more than most

All good in theory, but none of these clubs actually follow through with 'the process', and I believe Poch to be smart enough to know that all too well.

Maybe there will be an offer to good to refuse at some point, but for me Poch is a sensible guy and it would have to take something pretty massive (with massive promises) to take him away from here.

All good in theory, but none of these clubs actually follow through with 'the process', and I believe Poch to be smart enough to know that all too well.

Maybe there will be an offer to good to refuse at some point, but for me Poch is a sensible guy and it would have to take something pretty massive (with massive promises) to take him away from here.

I think that is all very VERY possible..his stock is high as of last summer and yes he is a sensible guy to know that stock can fall very sharply as well. If he keeps us in the top 4 or betters his previous seasons this year then it will all come down to what he feels is the club's ambition. He left Soton for a higher job and he didn't exactly have things (relatively) difficult there: the Spurs job was a big jump in terms of comfort there as would eg Bayern be compared to us

I think that is all very VERY possible..his stock is high as of last summer and yes he is a sensible guy to know that stock can fall very sharply as well. If he keeps us in the top 4 or betters his previous seasons this year then it will all come down to what he feels is the club's ambition. He left Soton for a higher job and he didn't exactly have things (relatively) difficult there: the Spurs job was a big jump in terms of comfort there as would eg Bayern be compared to us

Bayern ( I know it was just an example) will be looking at Herr Klopp.
PSG have just changed and its the french league!
Real will switch at the latest next summer.
Man U is toxic! But money can sooth that.

He left SCBC because they shat on Cortese to whom he was loyal. In much the same way he is with Levy.

As yet he has been fully committed to Spurs, and he and we have made serious progress - I think the only thing to change that is either another betrayal or if he feels he has hit a ceiling with us and outgrown the club. Outside of an opportunity of a lifetime sort of offer (which isnt always an obvious "yes").

RIght now I dont see that happening anytime soon, but of course everything is open to change.

Back