• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

776.jpg
bad-joke-gif-7.gif

"People who understand football know very well that this is a very exciting project because we are not a club that is going to buy trophies, We are going to deserve trophies.
"The players are so happy. The worst thing in life is to compare [yourself] with others. We need to compare with ourselves. The players, they feel [and should be] proud about all they are doing."

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...phies-when-they-come-says-mauricio-pochettino

Sounds like a guy committed to the cause to me! :)

I completely agree with him here, but you just knoooooooow people (rival fans and commentators) are going to use this as a stick to beat him with. We'll get the whole 'if Poch says it doesn't matter then why should the players care' even though that isn't what he is saying at all, and even though he will clearly come down hard on anyone for not putting the required amount of effort in to a 5-a-side training game, let alone a competitive first team game at the business end of the season.

I do wonder if it's worth him just giving up on this line, because most people just won't ever get what he is saying. But I like the fact that he is sticking by what he believes, and I suppose it is helpful and indeed needed to counter the 'Spurs need to win a trophy' phalanx.

I completely agree with him here, but you just knoooooooow people (rival fans and commentators) are going to use this as a stick to beat him with. We'll get the whole 'if Poch says it doesn't matter then why should the players care' even though that isn't what he is saying at all, and even though he will clearly come down hard on anyone for not putting the required amount of effort in to a 5-a-side training game, let alone a competitive first team game at the business end of the season.

I do wonder if it's worth him just giving up on this line, because most people just won't ever get what he is saying. But I like the fact that he is sticking by what he believes, and I suppose it is helpful and indeed needed to counter the 'Spurs need to win a trophy' phalanx.
Disagree. Thank fudge he is putting the FA Cup into it's correct context. It needs to be done because otherwise if / when we do win it this season there's a risk the team will kind of let go and become complacent, rather like we did after winning the LC in 2008. Two points from 8 games and all that.

So it's just great to see him keep his sights on the bigger prizes, the ones we all want so much to see this team win. It goes without saying he'd love to win the FA Cup, the manager that does not want to win a trophy has yet to be born. But he and everybody else knows it's not the main prize.

Go Poch, you da man!

Last edited:
Mauricio Pochettino says FA Cup glory would not benefit Spurs culture
Only Champions League or Premier League matters, says manager
• ‘Premier League is truest test, 38 games over 10 months’
Going by Poch's logic Leicester City should have continued their winning streak.

FA Cup glory i.e. silverware would not benefit Spurs culture? Has anyone not told Poch we have won the FA Cup 8 times?

I very much doubt Arsene Wenger arrived in Highbury with that same mindset when he did the double in his first full season with Arsenal.

Last edited:
Going by Poch's logic Leicester City should have continued their winning streak.

FA Cup glory i.e. silverware would not benefit Spurs culture? Has anyone not told Poch we have won the FA Cup 8 times?

I very much doubt Arsene Wenger arrived in Highbury with that same mindset when he did the double in his first full season with Arsenal.

B4AnBAOCIAA971D.png:large

Nice pint? ;-)

I can't believe that some even amongst is spurs fans have brought into the media hype that we need to win a trophy.

Settle into the stadium and bring a trophy then buy not at that expense of poch.

We are punching well well well above our weight and the finger points to poch and his team.

This is such a patronising view. No, it has nothing to do with buying into the media hype. It is to do with a mixture of different factors. Such as, you know, our own opinions, our hopes for the club and our hopes to try to keep our players. Not everything is just media hype.

I know its normal to be biased but I just find this so strange. Some Man Utd fans are falling over themselves to compliment Mourinho for a press conference that would 100% be derided were it to come from Klopp or Benitez. And same here.

Yep we are punching well above our weight as a club. However, we have now assembled a squad that goes above the money spent. We have the best striker in the league for example, maybe even the world. Did we pay best striker in the league money to get him or pay him best striker in the league wages? No but he's here regardless. So we need to look at the squad we actually have, rather than just pat ourselves on the back for punching above our weight. I'd say we have maybe the 3rd or at worst 4th best squad in the league. Which should put us in contention for trophies.

Incidentally, Poch's attitude towards the cups and it creating a winning mentality clash with someone like Ferguson's, who referenced the league cup win as the watershed moment for his mid 2000s team which ended up winning it all, as it gave them a taste of success and left them wanting more.

Spurs fans always mention the league cup win under Ramos and say yeah but look at that! That didn't breed a winning mentality. So? Has anyone ever said that every team winning a trophy automatically develops a winning mentality? No, you have to push on and continue striving for trophies. You need to have a team that actually wants to win more.

At the expense of Poch? What is this strawman argument? How many people have said that Poch should be fired for not winning a trophy? Or that he's doing a terrible job? Nobody needs this black and white discussion. Anyone who says we should be starting to win trophies is automatically labelled as drinking the media cool aid and not realising that Spurs have somehow transcended the usual modus operandi of sports which is actually winning stuff. When people say hopefully it will shut up the 'Spurs need to win a trophy' phalanx, what do you mean by this? Do you think you'll honestly look back in 20 years time and say yep, I'm happy that our best squad in decades won nothing (if we don't)? I'm not saying that we won't, I'm hoping we pick up the FA cup and push on. But I just don't get the no trophy lot. At all. What are your hopes for this team? What do you think we can and should be achieving?

The opinions of Poch on this (and subsequently quite a few fans) are really baffling imo. The only big trophies are the champions league and the league. In that case, we are a bloody tiny club with 2 trophies in our history. Its like learning to run the 100m in record time before learning to crawl. We've never come close to winning the CL and we've not been within a few points of the league for GHod knows how long.

I'm sure those Espanyol fans also don't agree that it meant nothing.

The thing is, his underlying point isn't necessarily ridiculous. Yes the league winner always deserves it (cue someone jumping in now and telling me neither Leicester not Chelsea deserved it). The Fa cup and league cup winner can be lucky. Yep that is true. But who the hell cares? Lucky or not, you still have that trophy in your hand at the end. And also yes, the big trophies are the league and CL. But that is what someone like Zidane can say, Heynckes, Guardiola. Not Spurs, currently fighting to get into the CL next season and watching the CL on TV.

Back