• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I know that Poch likes to intentionally obfuscate things in interviews sometimes but I guess the gist of what he said was that he thinks we are not good enough to be in the CL and the EL is more our level. Bollox. I can't believe he means that for a second. He has to be saying this to deflect criticism from the players (or himself :eek:) or maybe he has an ulterior motive that is not as obvious. The alternative is unpalatable really, that he really believes it, and anyone who knows Spurs from shinola will instantly see through this nonsense.

My read on it is that he thought we'd sneak through without going all in and it basically backfired. We were plenty good to get through and we should have given it priority over the league when it was required. I hope now he doesn't treat the EL (if we even qualify) with the same lack of respect as that would just compound his error. Go for it Poch - win something and write yourself into the history books.

Last edited:
I know that Poch likes to intentionally obfuscate things in interviews sometimes but I guess the gist of what he said was that he thinks we are not good enough to be in the CL and the EL is more our level. Bollox. I can't believe he means that for a second. He has to be saying this to deflect criticism from the players (or himself :eek:) or maybe he has an ulterior motive that is not as obvious. The alternative is unpalatable really, that he really believes it, and anyone who knows Spurs from shinola will instantly see through this nonsense.

My read on it is that he thought we'd sneak through without going all in and it basically backfired. We were plenty good to get through and we should have given it priority over the league when it was required. I hope now he doesn't treat the EL (if we even qualify) with the same lack of respect as that would just compound his error. Go for it Poch - win something and write yourself into the history books.
Having sat through his pre-match press conference just now (GHod it was boring) he makes a bit more sense i.e. too many injuries, we are not showing enough quality right now to compete in the CL and PL.
But my worry is that part of "not showing enough quality" is getting the tactics, workrate and basics right. We aren't trying to do mid-air rabona volleys, we're trying to pass 10 yards and make angles and follow play, we weren't even doing simple basics yet Poch implies "we aren't showing the quality" as though it is out of his hands.

Having sat through his pre-match press conference just now (GHod it was boring) he makes a bit more sense i.e. too many injuries, we are not showing enough quality right now to compete in the CL and PL.
But my worry is that part of "not showing enough quality" is getting the tactics, workrate and basics right. We aren't trying to do mid-air rabona volleys, we're trying to pass 10 yards and make angles and follow play, we weren't even doing simple basics yet Poch implies "we aren't showing the quality" as though it is out of his hands.

I don't see 'we aren't showing the quality' as him trying to make it out like it's out of his hands. I see it as, we have good players but we aren't playing to our potential - I don't think he's saying the squad doesn't have enough quality.

It would make even less sense IMO to now go all out for the EL having being knocked out of the CL. I'll be pretty annoyed if he starts resting players in the league for the EL (should we beat CSKA).

Just play the kids in the purgatory league until when/if we get to the last 8.

If this is the case then why didnt he target 1 game of the 2 to put the best 11 out rather than and under strength/tired team out in both matches. We lost both by doing this - he continually did this last season. Just pick one game to win and concentrate on that. If he would have come out before Monaco and said im playing the kids/second string as my priority is Chelsea 5 days away then fine but it always seems to be a 60/70% team every week rather than best 11 one game, brick 11 the next as i believe that will get you further.

Big BIG test for Poch now. His methods of training the squad for me are under the spotlight more as is the seemingly decreasing level of our creativity in the attacking 4 (e.g. are the players being squeezed to a pulp like Bielsa or will he adjust to allow some physical refreshment and greater emphasis on skills).

If we make the EL his rotation will have to be much better as well (when more players are fit of course).
I think making the EL is a must now for three reasons:
1 - the chance to get more used to playing at Wembley
2 - the ability to give the more fringe players games and integrate them more evenly into our first 16 teams so there is less of a drop-off in quality but under perhaps a bit less pressure
3 - the chance to boost our European co-efficient, even if just a little

Now is the time...COYS

It would make even less sense IMO to now go all out for the EL having being knocked out of the CL. I'll be pretty annoyed if he starts resting players in the league for the EL (should we beat CSKA).

We would have played 25 PL games before (if) we kick a ball in the EL. Where we are then will dictate Poch selection. Nothing else.

Big BIG test for Poch now. His methods of training the squad for me are under the spotlight more as is the seemingly decreasing level of our creativity in the attacking 4 (e.g. are the players being squeezed to a pulp like Bielsa or will he adjust to allow some physical refreshment and greater emphasis on skills).

If we make the EL his rotation will have to be much better as well (when more players are fit of course).
I think making the EL is a must now for three reasons:
1 - the chance to get more used to playing at Wembley
2 - the ability to give the more fringe players games and integrate them more evenly into our first 16 teams so there is less of a drop-off in quality but under perhaps a bit less pressure
3 - the chance to boost our European co-efficient, even if just a little

Now is the time...COYS

Not disagreeing with you here because I think there may be something to it (although I hope I am wrong), but how comes Liverpool can manage it? Klopp's teams are famous for their high press, high intensity game. They didn't appear tired to me at any stage last season.

Not disagreeing with you here because I think there may be something to it (although I hope I am wrong), but how comes Liverpool can manage it? Klopp's teams are famous for their high press, high intensity game. They didn't appear tired to me at any stage last season.
they also finished 8th

And looked GHod awful in some games.

Eh?? Did you see where they finished last year?? In the end they struggled to keep their intensity and creativity in the league whilst they were in two other cup competitions. In the end they ended up having very poor/mediocre results in the league and did well in the cups (though ultimately failed there too).

If anything Klopp's time last season highlights how well Poch did in his first and second seasons overall (especially as unlike Liverpool this season he had to contend with playing in the EL)

If this is the case then why didnt he target 1 game of the 2 to put the best 11 out rather than and under strength/tired team out in both matches. We lost both by doing this - he continually did this last season. Just pick one game to win and concentrate on that. If he would have come out before Monaco and said im playing the kids/second string as my priority is Chelsea 5 days away then fine but it always seems to be a 60/70% team every week rather than best 11 one game, brick 11 the next as i believe that will get you further.
I guess he is trying to manage the squad and not send out a complete team of fringe players in the hope that they will perform well enough to get a result. Frankly i agree that we should have played our strongest team in the CL against Monaco but I guess it sort of worked in terms of a improved performance against Chelsea, even though the result didn't go our way.

Lets face it, we are far more likely to win the EL than the CL (or the league) so why the fudge not? I suppose our league position come Feb will decided the priority as always but how nice would it be to win something again.
Put it this way I would far rather win the EL than just qualify for the CL again
(and hey you qualify anyway if you win the EL ....bonus)

Last edited:
What are your views or opinions on the likely hood of Poch loaning out some of our youngsters if we dont qualify for europa league. I think if we are out of Europe altogether then players like Winks, Onomah and Carter-Vickers are likely to get very little game time and would do better getting league football then just training with the first team.

Because Klopp isnt attributed to being a Bielsa clone yet Poch is because of their history.

Why don't Barcelona fade as they press arguably as much as anyone???

It's a way to put a spin on a negative performance. We didnt tire at all last season in reality until after we were well and truly broken vs Chelsea. After which we never named the same team twice due to suspensions and injuries IIRC. That's something that has continued through to this season and is a big part in our iffy form.

Lets face it, we are far more likely to win the EL than the CL (or the league) so why the fudge not? I suppose our league position come Feb will decided the priority as always but how nice would it be to win something again.
Put it this way I would far rather win the EL than just qualify for the CL again

Amen brother.

We obviously weren't good enough to stay in the CL this season despite a fairly favorable draw. No obfuscation for me, just an admission that we flat our didn't do well enough. Learn and move on.

they also finished 8th

And are without European football this season.

A more upbeat way of putting it would be, "I'd rather we qualified for the CL by winning the Europa League than by finishing fourth." ;)

Back