• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I am a huge Poch fan, but his comments tonight about adding more quality to the squad were quite mistimed in my opinion.

He had the chance to add that quality in the summer - and decided to spunk the money on the last day on £30m Sissoko!

In a heavily rotated side and with Alli nowhere fully fit, Sissoko could still only make the bench.

I think he meant to show our quality on the pitch. We didn't show any, not that we haven't got any

Is the quality comments a veiled threat, Buck your ideas up or you're gone?
Some seem happy to have reached a level and are not pushing on.

This is the big one. Why on earth aren't we set up to play like we did last season? Sure, personnel isn't always available, but the system and the tactics worked. Keep at it.

I personally think he's trying to be to clever, what what reason? I don't know.

But that tactic last night was suicidal, it worked against West Ham through Luck more than Judgement.

You can't give top players that much space, and it makes our width problem even worse.

I think it was that. He knows what he is doing. Rather than rage he is simply saying in a calm manner, I'll give you a chance and give you hugs if you're performing, but if you consistently fail to step up you won't have a place here.

Using a CL must win game to muck around with those sort of players is not the time.

The only one from last night that's needs to buck his ideas up is the manager.

I'll try and dig it out. But there a couple of bits saying the players switch off to the Bielsa style tactics after about 3 seasons

It's tough to know what has gone wrong. Are the players - e.g. Eriksen, Son, simply not mentally cut out for the demands of winning 2 big games every week? Has the fact we've tried a few different systems over the past few weeks meant we've lost our rhythm? Or is missing Toby and Kane for long periods simply something that would do in any team?

Taken from my post on the monaco thread

As highlighted earlier despite playing poorly in a lot of league games we are In a very good position still

Chelsea are playing well but having actually beaten any of the sides around them so let's see.

We're struggling with confidence on and off the pitch and injuries too - kinda like they were before we played them last season

The did say this last season and I'll say it every time we have people complaining. This sky footballs enemy xcatly what I thought could happen after the euros and Olympics with so many players at it and a lot suffering from over expectations and under achievement

Poch has been managing roughly 8 years - that's single figures and he is still leaning in the job

Tonight was some big bad calls from him but he has generally shown he has learnt from his errors and doesn't repeat them often

He has earnt some breathing space IMO and needs it now

It's tough to know what has gone wrong. Are the players - e.g. Eriksen, Son, simply not mentally cut out for the demands of winning 2 big games every week? Has the fact we've tried a few different systems over the past few weeks meant we've lost our rhythm? Or is missing Toby and Kane for long periods simply something that would do in any team?

See Emirates Marketing Project of 2014/2015 season

Unless you have a lot of similar players who can back fill like arsenal for example you will struggle.

When you have one or two genuine world class players and lose them its nigh on impossible to replace

last season we rotated heavily and we pressed heavily

now we hardly press at all

either Poch has lost his nerve and dialled it back or the players have lost their appetite

we need to play aggressive football

It was bad enough starting with that defence, let alone not changing it once they started getting ripped apart. Then to question the players mentality!

It was bad enough starting with that defence, let alone not changing it once they started getting ripped apart. Then to question the players mentality!

I place a fair bit of blame on the players personally;

Dier played all last season, Wimmer played almost half of it and Trippier played a decent amount of games. Dier could have been our player of the season and Wimmer was excellent during his time in the team. Its not like Poch chucked in three reserve teamers that haven't ever kicked a ball for us. The squad should be good enough to rotate - the same players were last season.

But the players did not perform. They looked lacklustre, tired, lazy, not arsed, whatever. It just didn't happen.

Team needs a leader on the pitch, someone to boot them up the arse during runs like this.
Plenty of them have a winning mentality, Harry, rose and Lamela spring to mind, but none have the force of character to drag others along with them.
They are all still young so hopefully one will grow into it but it needs to be soon.

I place a fair bit of blame on the players personally;

Dier played all last season, Wimmer played almost half of it and Trippier played a decent amount of games. Dier could have been our player of the season and Wimmer was excellent during his time in the team. Its not like Poch chucked in three reserve teamers that haven't ever kicked a ball for us. The squad should be good enough to rotate - the same players were last season.

But the players did not perform. They looked lacklustre, tired, lazy, not arsed, whatever. It just didn't happen.
Individually I agree, but when have they all played together? And as I said, fair enough risking it, but surely change it when it's going tits up? Walker and Vertonghen were unused subs in a must win game.

Individually I agree, but when have they all played together? And as I said, fair enough risking it, but surely change it when it's going tits up? Walker and Vertonghen were unused subs in a must win game.

Thats what i dont get, if you are going to take them then play them, if they are being rested for the next game, why make them travel, warm up etc?

Thats what i dont get, if you are going to take them then play them, if they are being rested for the next game, why make them travel, warm up etc?
So I guess he was saving them for Chelsea, but took them in case of emergency. If that defensive performance wasn't an emergency, I don't know what is!

I think Pochettino is getting some unwarranted flak for the whole CL debacle. It wasn't lost last night, it was lost via the two home games where we have been abysmal regardless of personnel available. The players really have to look at themselves throughout this because for my mind we have been scrapping by since the opening day and its the players who haven't been playing well, not the manager.

He is limited in what he can do once they cross the white line and I would have to say that he has been unfortunate in the fact that at least 3-4 players have really let him down with the quality of their performances. Dier, Alli, Eriksen, Son and Lamela have all been differing levels of poor for pretty much most of the season and when you couple that with having Dembele unavailable due to injury/suspension and Kane/Alderwiereld missing for 6-8 weeks then it is going to hurt you big time. I am amazed that we have accrued the points we have done to be quite honest.

He was in between a rock and a hard place last night, Walker and Vertonghen probably needed a rest given their international exploits and you then expect those that come in to step up and they didn't and haven't.

We do need more quality and the money spent on Sissoko does look a waste at this moment in time but I also would imagine that Levy pushed it as well seeing how thin we were likely to be with the departures going into this campaign but the recruitment does have to be better and that is something he does have to shoulder responsibility for.

All we can hope is that the team settles down and a consistent 11 can be played over Christmas in order to get us ready for a busy start to the year with us hopefully in the Europa and giving it a proper go considering it is bereft of any real big stand out sides and it is now a knockout.

The wheels may not have come off, but he'll ignore the squeal from the bearings at his peril. Why is he having to ask for more aggression from them after virtually every game, I wonder. Are they switching him off? Is it still too early for Bielsa syndrome?

The wheels may not have come off, but he'll ignore the squeal from the bearings at his peril. Why is he having to ask for more aggression from them after virtually every game, I wonder. Are they switching him off? Is it still too early for Bielsa syndrome?

Am interested to hear and answer on the bolded bit. Any of the more tactical discussion people care to have a go? Calling @braineclipse, @BrainOfLevy , @Gutter Boy , @scaramanga , @Finney Is Back or anyone else...

Back