• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I'm surprised the GG posters haven't built a statue of him for that result.

You can bet someone someday will built a statue for AVB for beating ManU away that time. If not Spurs fans, atleast others might. History books will prove that is the result that convinced Alex Ferguson to retire from football, thus ending the ManU domination of the PL ! So, Chelsea and ManCity fans should be indebted to AVB for that.:D

You can bet someone someday will built a statue for AVB for beating ManU away that time. If not Spurs fans, atleast others might. History books will prove that is the result that convinced Alex Ferguson to retire from football, thus ending the ManU domination of the PL ! So, Chel53a and ManCity fans should be indebted to AVB for that.:D

Erm, ok then o_O

Pace as issue = yes, technical skill = not sure I agree

Puh-lease.

Look at what Coutinho did to Bellerin just before that shot Cech tipped onto the post last night. That is what I call technical skill. Could you imagine Chadli, Lamela or Townsend doing that even to a defender in a relegation struggling side?

We need players who can control the ball in tight spaces and manoeuvre their way through crowded defences to create goalscoring opportunities. Get players who can do that and have a bit of pace into the squad, and we will have a good season. Otherwise? Forget it.

If we are going to have a young team then we have to accept an eliment of learning on the job. I think any of our current options have the potential to develop into very good central midfielders but they are all still raw.

Maybe and I hope they do, however at the moment they are not and its costing us and if we can bring someone in who is good at the job it may help them develop quicker.

True. But that is largely because AVB improved greatly our defending and away records which Pochettino is struggling to do now. The turning point for AVB in that 2012-13 season was that historic 3-2 away win over ManU. Pochettino need a similiar erection inducing win to lift the team.

Yes if only he could somehow destroy the champions at home...... (i take your point though)

Puh-lease.

Look at what Coutinho did to Bellerin just before that shot Cech tipped onto the post last night. That is what I call technical skill. Could you imagine Chadli, Lamela or Townsend doing that even to a defender in a relegation struggling side?

We need players who can control the ball in tight spaces and manoeuvre their way through crowded defences to create goalscoring opportunities. Get players who can do that and have a bit of pace into the squad, and we will have a good season. Otherwise? Forget it.

You can train and instruct the standard of player at our club to play more one and two touch football and it will come off sometimes in the games in the areas to hurt our opponent. I think to many times our players are looking to take the extra touch, to look up and see all their options rather than making the ball move with the quick obvious pass. The feint pass with the outside of the foot seems to be non existent with some of our players . At times we're just to pedestrian.

Want to see more of this type of play attempted.

some great goals there, some truly lazy defending though, in almost every one the guy that got the final touch wasn't tracked

Puh-lease.

Actually I could see Chadli (he beats defenders far more often than given credit for), Erickson or Kane all doing that. (my opinion on Lamela/Townsend is they should be no where near a starting place for us)

The last part is where we fundamentally disagree, we need tactics, passing and tempo to our game that doesn't allow the opposition the time to create crowded defenses (the best players in the world struggle when the opposition has enough time to position defensively, made doubly effective when you only try to pass through the center)

True. But that is largely because AVB improved greatly our defending and away records which Pochettino is struggling to do now. The turning point for AVB in that 2012-13 season was that historic 3-2 away win over ManU. Pochettino need a similiar erection inducing win to lift the team.
record points haul too.

I'm not sure where the confusion is to be honest - When the full backs are attacking the CMs are covering them, whilst the wide forwards are supporting in the attacking positions - when the team is defending as a whole the attacking players are expected to get back in to position to pitch in.

Our full backs weren't attacking when Leicester scored from the k/o and so the team should have been switched on defensively as opposition had possession in the middle third of the pitch - I haven't rewatched the game so can't really comment on Chadlis involvement (or lack of) in the goal but iirc they attacked down his side - so it's not out of the ordinary to expect him, as the first line of defence, to be involved defensively...

The central point I am making is illustrated by you and others respective views on three AM wide players. Lennon and Lamela are largely praised for their defensive industry - but the offer practically diddly squat going forward. Chadli, on the other hand is oft criticised as a lazy fudged, yet he scored double figures last season and already has a goal and an assist in three games this season.

Now what do we want our wide AMs to do? I know which I prefer. I hope Nige is used like Chadli and not an auxiliary defender ala Lennon and Lamela.

The central point I am making is illustrated by you and others respective views on three AM wide players. Lennon and Lamela are largely praised for their defensive industry - but the offer practically diddly squat going forward. Chadli, on the other hand is oft criticised as a lazy fudged, yet he scored double figures last season and already has a goal and an assist in three games this season.

Now what do we want our wide AMs to do? I know which I prefer. I hope Nige is used like Chadli and not an auxiliary defender ala Lennon and Lamela.

If you look at the positions that they take up on the pitch, you'll see that is nonsense. But even if it wasn't, I cannot think of a flair player who Poch has tried to stifle, Lennon and Lamela are just more defensively minded.

I think you have missed the point with what is said about those players tbh - as with all our players they have good and bad points and people will comment on what the players do well and what they do badly - does pointing out Chadli needs to do more defensively mean we don't appreciate his attacking qualities? No

Does the fact Lennon and Lamela do offer something defensively mean we don't expect them to offer far more in an attacking sense? The answer of course is obvious, No

The problem was it was from a centre

He wasn't closing anyone down and we weren't attacking so what was he doing?!?!?

He was hanging around on the half way line waiting for someone else to do the defensive work . That's my issue
if he dropped back from their centre 10 yards he could have competed with Vardy for the ball leaving Davies to mark Marhrez but he didn't... The space in front of Davies when the ball was played is about 20 yards and that was left by Chadli
We were poorly organised as a team in that situation. We didn't seem to agree on what we were gonna do from the kick-off. Kane and Alli sprinted forward to press, the defenders dropped back, wary of a long ball over the top and the midfield was somewhere in the middle. This put us in a situation where there was too much room between the attack and the midfield and more importantly in this case, between the midfield and the defence.

Then when the long ball came, Davies made a schoolboy error by challenging in the air against their center forward (Vardy), leaving his own man (Mahrez) unguarded behind him. When Davies didn't clear the ball, he was out the equation. Vertonghen then needed to cover, and the central midfielders and Chadli didn't get back in time to help him out because the gap between the midfield and defence was too big.

So... a combination of poor organisation and an individual mistake.

We were poorly organised as a team in that situation. We didn't seem to agree on what we were gonna do from the kick-off. Kane and Alli sprinted forward to press, the defenders dropped back, wary of a long ball over the top and the midfield was somewhere in the middle. This put us in a situation where there was too much room between the attack and the midfield and more importantly in this case, between the midfield and the defence.

Then when the long ball came, Davies made a schoolboy error by challenging in the air against their center forward (Vardy), leaving his own man (Mahrez) unguarded behind him. When Davies didn't clear the ball, he was out the equation. Vertonghen then needed to cover, and the central midfielders and Chadli didn't get back in time to help him out because the gap between the midfield and defence was too big.

So... a combination of poor organisation and an individual mistake.
I don't understand why defenders particularly centre backs don't go to the ball anymoreif one goes to the man with the ball they limit his options and can cut out the danger at source

You can train and instruct the standard of player at our club to play more one and two touch football and it will come off sometimes in the games in the areas to hurt our opponent. I think to many times our players are looking to take the extra touch, to look up and see all their options rather than making the ball move with the quick obvious pass. The feint pass with the outside of the foot seems to be non existent with some of our players . At times we're just to pedestrian.

Want to see more of this type of play attempted.

Nice! This should've been in it though;

I don't understand why defenders particularly centre backs don't go to the ball anymoreif one goes to the man with the ball they limit his options and can cut out the danger at source

Depends on what's going on behind them and who's running through from midfield. Sometime rushing ou wide to the ball open's up space for an onrushing midfielder to run into, so at times it can be to stay in the middle.

Absolutely the worst thing to do is to half arsed do both and end up neither closing the man down quickly and cutting off his options, or staying in the middle and preventing him from having any space to play the ball into. This half arsed do both but do neither was exactly what Verts did. In this situation I would have liked him to take the decision and close down the ball quickly like you suggested.

I would argue that the wide players are asked to do more defending in a traditional 4-4-2 than they are in most 4-2-3-1s

A moot point. Largely depends on how the full backs are asked to play. In a traditional 442, the wide midfielders are usually wingers and the full backs don't overlap as much so there is less need to cover their forward forays.
If you look at the positions that they take up on the pitch, you'll see that is nonsense. But even if it wasn't, I cannot think of a flair player who Poch has tried to stifle, Lennon and Lamela are just more defensively minded.

Sorry, I just don't agree. Lennon played as an out and out winger with Charlie behind him. Charlie didn't really overlap much. Walker on the other hand gets up and down like an overlapping full back as per Poch's plan. No matter who has played in front of him - Lennon, Lamela or Townsend, they have all been largely neutered as an offensive force. That is what Poch (and AVB before him) have done to our natural attacking players in the 4231 formation. Neither Lennon or Lamela are naturally "defensively minded". Their natural attacking instinct has been drilled out of them by this system. Hence my earlier comment that I would prefer to see defenders defend and attackers attack.

Back