• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

So, does it seem that we have a gameplan to incorporate 'rest periods' to offset the energy used in the phases of the game when we do the 'constant press'?

Did the second half vs Burnley in the FA Cup replay represent that?

Did any parts of any other recent games show that?

As I've often said, my main worry re Poch's system is that, like Bielsa, the team goes through a state of late-season collapse due to fatigue.

It would be good to see that, unlike Bielsa imo, Poch can incorporate a 'downtime' for the team to recharge so that they don't crash and burn like Bielsa's teams usually do.

We've already won as many points late in games this season as we did under AVB when had Bale to blast in those long range goals!

Hopefully Eriksen and Kane are able to maintain these distance run levels during the 2nd half of the campaign just like Gareth.

@SkySportsMNF: Tottenham scored after the 88th minute for the fifth time this term on the weekend: http://bit.ly/1gBmiSS
B7v1xy5CMAMsiRV.jpg

@SimonGleave: Which Premier League managers have added most points in comparison to bookmakers' odds?
B7vuj5yIMAEHdjB.png

Last edited:
So, does it seem that we have a gameplan to incorporate 'rest periods' to offset the energy used in the phases of the game when we do the 'constant press'?

Did the second half vs Burnley in the FA Cup replay represent that?

Did any parts of any other recent games show that?

As I've often said, my main worry re Poch's system is that, like Bielsa, the team goes through a state of late-season collapse due to fatigue.

It would be good to see that, unlike Bielsa imo, Poch can incorporate a 'downtime' for the team to recharge so that they don't crash and burn like Bielsa's teams usually do.

personally i dont have a problem with it as teams should all tire towards the end of the season.

I just want to see if everyone gets a fair assemement for a tired team as opposed to slaughtering the coach for it after what he has done for us previously

this last minute winning goal thing is only impressing me on the fitness front. it say something when you win by wearing the opposition down.

but judging at our willingness to go wide in the sunderland game, i do believe that poch is still implementing his philosphy in stages. where we used to just pass the ball in front of goal looking for a weakness, we seem to be having more time on either wings now with more speculative balls into the box.

I thought the Sunderland match was, in many ways, total vindication of what Poch is trying to build. Our first-choice (and much quicker) central midfield was unavailable. Our CB partnership had to be broken up. The manager chose to give Nobby a vote of confidence and play Kane in the hole. We dominated that match with ease until the silly free-kick allowed nerves to instill, but even after that, we steadied, found our feet and saw the keeper make a fine save off Eriksen and the post save them from a Kane rattler. Second-half we stepped up and on them, pressuring, and despite everyone's feelings of deja-vu, I can safely say I felt we would get the second goal. I think the manager is developing an entire squad that can come in and do their jobs. I feel absolutely certain that had Mason and Bentaleb played on Sat, we'd have won by at least 3 clear goals...in the end, he got a result out of the two he had in there. I think the man is doing a fine job, and hope the chairman backs him properly.

Would also have been interesting if Graham had scored at the end. Fine margins and all that.

this...that's why the late goal wins give me immediate joy but no long term satisfaction. still lots of work to do until we become a team that's capable of taking a lead and threatening to build on it for the full 90 minutes.

I have to say taking everything into account I have been really impressed with Poch this season, but I appreciate we are now in the business end of the season. I was initially very sceptical of this appointment and I could only see a short term reign where Levy pulls the trigger 18/24 months down the line. I am now much more hopeful of continuity and I am much more hopeful we can build slowly with Poch and keep getting stronger.

His conduct and man-management seems impeccable.....I wish he would have started playing Kane earlier in the epl than he did....but in general we have many issues to resolve in our squad in terms of players we want off the books....he seems to be dealing with this in the right way...

Also been impressed by how the squad has been rotated and his use of substitutions in games...the initial fears of 'he could never turn a game around for Southampton' seem to have been dispelled as we have had comeback wins......Villa, Hull.

As a squad it seems like everyone has had a chance this season......even those who have not impressed this season can not use lack of playing time as an excuse...This summer will be major imo IF we can get rid of unwanted players and their hefty wages....

We need the likes of Disco Benny, Kaboul, Ade, off our wage bill....we need answers as to what to do with Tom Carrol, Lewis Holtby Soldado, Vlad & Capoue.

Looking at next season we can feel a little positive I think with the young talent at our Club.........Rose, Davies, Walker, Yedlin, Dier, Mason, Bentaleb, Eriksen Townsend, Lamela, Kane.....I think we will benefit by allowing these players to form a bond and to develop together.....Key will be keeping our world class goalkeeper.

If we can cut out the wastage and make decent signings I can only see us getting better and better under poch.

Really hope that Holtby comes back but it's too late, right? :(

Well he is crocked quite badly at the moment isnt he? but will be another issue for us to deal with in the summer I guess.

I was very much in favour of signing Delph.....then it dawned on me....we already have a player on our books who is left footed and offers us everything that Delph would. I still think there is something worth persevering with concerning Holtby...... baffling reallly.....I think he would suit Poch's system down to the ground.

Well he is crocked quite badly at the moment isnt he? but will be another issue for us to deal with in the summer I guess.

I was very much in favour of signing Delph.....then it dawned on me....we already have a player on our books who is left footed and offers us everything that Delph would. I still think there is something worth persevering with concerning Holtby...... baffling reallly.....I think he would suit Poch's system down to the ground.

Except for his ability to be part of a system instead of just running around like crazy.

Except for his ability to be part of a system instead of just running around like crazy.

I thought we wanted our cm's to press aggressively and have a eye for a quick pass????

All about opinions I suppose and I respect yours regarding Holtby....Personally I do feel the lad has talent and could still be an asset for us....

I thought we wanted our cm's to press aggressively and have a eye for a quick pass????

All about opinions I suppose and I respect yours regarding Holtby....Personally I do feel the lad has talent and could still be an asset for us....

It's also important to move in relation to your team mates and not go charging around, leaving huge gaps. He also has a bit of the VDV, there's no energy left after 60 minutes.

It's also important to move in relation to your team mates and not go charging around, leaving huge gaps. He also has a bit of the VDV, there's no energy left after 60 minutes.

hmmm well either way its still a conundrum to resolve in the summer I guess......he is badly crocked at the moment but is still on our books.

Our squad is to big and there will be no signings until we shift those we are unwilling to persevere with. Do not know exactly but we must be reaching the limit with ffp??

Would not mind in the summer if we cleared the decks wages wise and went with the young - uns... Pritchard and the like.

Back