• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Possibly, but there must have been short term targets e.g. finish lower than 10th and you're a goner.
Not necessarily. If there is an agreement at the club that the squad needs an overhaul or more root and branch changes be made, it is possible that it could have been agreed to give the manager time to do that. This is all hypothetical of course.

Thats pretty obvious, as if he was going on results Sherwood would still be here....
Yep. I was trying to think the other day how many Spurs managers had left the club because of results. I cannot think of one off the top of my head other than Ramos.

Not necessarily. If there is an agreement at the club that the squad needs an overhaul or more root and branch changes be made, it is possible that it could have been agreed to give the manager time to do that. This is all hypothetical of course.

I find it hard to believe that some short term targets were not agreed, even if the long term picture was considered more important.

Yep. I was trying to think the other day how many Spurs managers had left the club because of results. I cannot think of one off the top of my head other than Ramos.

Even with Ramos I think there was more to it.

We will know if and when we have a poor league position at the end of May and whether Poch is still here or not.

If we finish lower than 8th, but look like we're in a position to really kick on he will be staying IMO. Priority this season is to decide who to keep and who to sell.

I find it hard to believe that some short term targets were not agreed, even if the long term picture was considered more important.

The comments about no short term targets show off the business naivety of people on this board.

No business (and that is exactly what Spurs is = i.e. a business) says "it's a transformational year, if we completely fail, it's ok)

Poch will likely have a minimum target, a bonus target as well as some additional supporting drivers like player development, style of play, etc.

I would say AVB, Redknapp, Hoddle and Jol (party at least).

I cant agree Redknapp was results based. People go on about the lead we had over Arsenal for 3rd, but they had a ridiculous run towards the back end of that season, our results during that period werent particularly bad.

Oh and we finished 4th....

The comments about no short term targets show off the business naivety of people on this board.

No business (and that is exactly what Spurs is = i.e. a business) says "it's a transformational year, if we completely fail, it's ok)

Poch will likely have a minimum target, a bonus target as well as some additional supporting drivers like player development, style of play, etc.

What about Rodgers' first year at Liverpool?

What about Rodgers' first year at Liverpool?

? Rodgers finished 7th in his first season, the previous two season IIRC Pool finished 8th & 7th .. actually on par with results

Par results for Poch would be somewhere between 4th-6th, which I think is extremely unlikely. I don't think 7th/8th will be an automatic death sentence, but failure to qualify for Europe (we have done so what? 8 out of 9 years now?) and lower than 8th is probably not acceptable without a lot of additional reasoning. I think his case is actually made worse by the fact that several of our traditional rivals are struggling and we haven't taken advantage of that.

? Rodgers finished 7th in his first season, the previous two season IIRC Pool finished 8th & 7th .. actually on par with results

Par results for Poch would be somewhere between 4th-6th, which I think is extremely unlikely. I don't think 7th/8th will be an automatic death sentence, but failure to qualify for Europe (we have done so what? 8 out of 9 years now?) and lower than 8th is probably not acceptable without a lot of additional reasoning. I think his case is actually made worse by the fact that several of our traditional rivals are struggling and we haven't taken advantage of that.

I see, for some reason I thought they finished lower than 7th - probably because so many Liverpool fans wanted him gone.

Even if we finished mid table I would be surrprised if Levy got rid. I think he is very aware about what has been made in the media about how many managers he has sacked etc and think his intention was to employ Poch for the long term and give him time. Unless we are embroiled in a relegation battle this season I think he will be given more time than has been afforded to most recent managers Levy has employed....

I actually quite like Warnock tbh. I used to watch his Sheff U quite a bit.

I do though think that managers like him and Pulis will always have a ceiling. They are terrific at getting traditional yo-yo clubs to the prem and then, after a while, safe in mid-table. I certainly wouldn't belittle their tactical acumen.

But I don't think he'd fit in with us anymore than say Michael Brown or Raziack did (cracking bottom half/upper championship players though they were)
Give me Michael Brown over Etienne Capoue any day of the week! You've got me on Grzegorz Rasiak though.... Even I couldn't make a case for Soldado being worse than him - Rasiak's goalscoring record for us was actually even worse than Soldado's (I know, I know.... I didn't think that would be possible either!) :lol:

I don't think that league finish is the only way he would judge whether Poch's first season has been a success.

It might be worth some people reading up on the first seasons of our two most successful managers of the last 60 years as they introduced the structural reforms necessary to implement their philosophies. Burkinshaw got relegated and Nicholson finished 18th (out of 22).

I wouldn't say it was brilliant at all. The metaphor was mildly amusing but the general post is just another in a long line of "told you so" style posting from finny is back and a few others.
I used to really enjoy this forum but this constant negative, points scoring, agenda driving way of talking to other posters is really dull.
I'm glad the metaphor (mildly) amused you....

I'm actually not saying "I told you so". I didn't think we would be this poor under Pochettino. I really couldn't see it coming. I admit that I thought some of the critisism of Sherwood was over the top last season and also since then and I was reasonably vocal that I felt he had actually done a decent job in difficult circumstances (and perhaps some of what has followed this season has now highlighted that even more?)....

To be honest I was pretty positive about Pochettino joining. I made no secret of the fact that De Boer was my first choice for our new manager, but I was happy that we appointed Pochettino and I thought he would be successful. My 'negativity' has gradually come about as the season has progressed and I haven't seen the team progressing. I think the manager got the centre back pairing badly wrong, got the midfield pairing badly wrong (until very recently) and also fails to see the benefit of us having width (particularly at home).

I prefer to use 'realist' as opposed to 'negative'. I was also very positive after the Everton game when I thought the manager had finally found a formation, although perhaps I have gone a little too 'the end is nigh' since then after the manager decided to go straight back to our previous narrow set up again at the weekend (and still not change the narrow set up when making a sub at half time after it wasn't working).

Last edited:
Back