• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

So how come Sherwood was able to get fairly consistent results with the same squad of players?

Sherwood was a short term appointment and effectively on trial for the full time job, whilst Pocchetino is a long term appointment - both would have had different targets, Sherwood was all about having an instant impact, getting results and impressing in the short term whereas you'd imagine Pochettino's brief is to embed his way of playing on to the players. Not to mention Sherwood came in during a bit of a slump with rumors of unrest in the dressing room - as we have seen many times before, at Spurs and elsewhere, sometimes change itself can be the biggest catalyst for a mid season revival.

If you read anything in to Lloris's statement it is that he is happy in London. From his wifes tweets you can tell she loves it in London. I feel he is happy with life. We just need to be at a level that reflects his quality. If he can wait out what we hope is a transitional period for Pochetinno then we will have a good base.

I just really hope that Kaboul can learn to use his brain and help utilise his clear physical attributes and become the top centre back he has the potential to be.

Along with a lot of the players I just don't think they have brains to quickly understand the system he wants or maybe it's the desire to work hard and play the Bielsa verticalidad *sp.

Intelligence angle I think we don't have enough of it on the pitch. Stamina also seems to be an issue. They don't seem to like running like mad. Ability isn't amazing. The squad doesn't have enough talent maybe.

A bit worrying if Poch doesn't get the time to do an overhaul of the squad.

So how come Sherwood was able to get fairly consistent results with the same squad of players?

Small sample size? Coincidence? Good run of confidence as the new guy at the frustration post-AVB went away and the players were enjoying themselves?

Sherwood got a good run by keeping it simple, bigger emphasis on attack and go for it early. Quality will more often than not show itself in that scenario. The downside was you won't beat anyone where you don't have an obvious quality advantage and you create an all or nothing view (seen by both his high win & loss percentages).

See Pool last year where they just charged out the block, fed the ball early and wide to runners, got it into middle, killed a whole bunch of games by 30 minutes in.

addition to last post

Sherwood got Ade to give a **** for about 10 games

I really don't think the importance of that can be overstated. The problem is that no one has really managed to get Ade to perform consistently at a high level during his career as far as I know.

When AVB left we were 1 point ahead compared to the identical fixtures in the 2012/13 season. At the end of the season we were 3 points behind the previous year's total.

This season we are currently 2 points behind compared to the 2013/14 season, having been ahead all season up to the Stoke game.

When AVB left we were 1 point ahead compared to the identical fixtures in the 2012/13 season. At the end of the season we were 3 points behind the previous year's total.

This season we are currently 2 points behind compared to the 2013/14 season, having been ahead all season up to the Stoke game.

Can you post this on the top post of every page in this thread? ;)

Thanks for the research, but what is one supposed to glean from this? Or maybe more importantly, what do you glean from it?

Stats, even those selectively presented as is the case here, can be interpreted in different ways. What do you see? That the points are very close? That Levy shouldn't have sacked AVB when he did?

Last edited:
Thanks for the research, but what am I supposed to glean from this? Or maybe more importantly, what do you glean from it?

Stats, even those selectively presented, can be interpreted in different ways. The points are very close? That Levy shouldn't have sacked AVB when he did?

Looking at the thread title... I'm guessing Jordinho's point is related to this thread and not the previous manager thread.

Thanks for the research, but what is one supposed to glean from this? Or maybe more importantly, what do you glean from it?

Stats, even those selectively presented as is the case here, can be interpreted in different ways. What do you see? That the points are very close? That Levy shouldn't have sacked AVB when he did?

That Sherwood isn't in any way superior to the other two. And that none of them have cracked how to get the most out of our players.

That Sherwood isn't in any way superior to the other two. And that none of them have cracked how to get the most out of our players.

Except that comparing over different seasons is completely flawed. A joke of a statistic, Sherwood done better than avb in the same season, no matter how many posters want to dispute that fact it is still a fact.

Except that comparing over different seasons is completely flawed. A joke of a statistic, Sherwood done better than avb in the same season, no matter how many posters want to dispute that fact it is still a fact.

that stat says sherwood had a 4 point swing against in his half of the season doesn't it?

No more flawed than comparing two sets of results directly before and after a mid season managerial change - what with the honeymoon period factor (and many other variables)

It's certainly a possibility; I also think if the same underachieving players are involved (I'm looking at you Dembele and Vertonghen) then that reflect more on those players than on Poch.

I remember early on all the ITK was on how impressed the squad was with Poch....funny how things can change (according to ITK, who are claiming that Poch is now the "bad cop")..

I think it's highly possible. How many players was he missing during pre-season? How many didn't get a full pre-season due to the WC? In fact, I'd say it's very possible that the pillars you'd expect to be strong right now in terms of holding firm are the very ones which are not showing up for the party. I'll tell you this, IMO Bentaleb would walk right back in if not injured, simply based on attitude alone.

There have been signs though, in the Arsenal game we went out with a very clear plan. Against QPR things clicked, against Sunderland there were signs, as with Southampton. Even in the other games we played badly there have been signs except for against Stoke when we were absolutely diabolical. You say it's Ok if it falls down on occassions. When you look over the course of the season it has fell down on occassions, yet you're saying thats not OK? The only time we have looked absolutely and completely un-organised and clueless was against Stoke. In all the other performances that have been under-par (and don't get me wrong there have been many) have shown signs of some continuity and understanding between the players.

Two managers spring to mind that have started badly and gone on to success are Bill Nicholson and Keith Burkinshaw:-". Another would be Alex Ferguson. I'd struggle to name any in the modern era because everyone who starts badly tends to get sacked before they get the chance to turn it around. Although I'm sure someone can chime in with an example or two.

I'm not sure if it was you that said it, but someone earlier said that LVG will turn it around quickly because of the quality of players they have. We are 2 points behind them, with inferior players. United's performances have been awful, why are we doomed because after 11 league games we haven't clicked fully yet, but for whatever reason United are not. We show more faith in another clubs manager and players than we do our own.

Four, and we've already beat them (and Southampton who we are 11 points off) this season.

No. I've got a lot of United fans, a lot of Liverpool fans and one Everton fan who are friends.

The United fans are all complaining that they are making the same silly defensive errors week in week out. None of them are questioning the manager yet though.

The Liverpool fans are all complaining that they are creating nothing without Suarez and that they've spent the money unwisely. Noen of them are questioning the manager yet.

The Everton fan is just happy to see them trying to play decent football. He's not questioning the manager yet.

Not fair IMO.

1) As I said above, there have been signs but in our last game for whatever reason, there were absolutely no signs whatsoever.

2) Ade, Vertonghen, Lloris have all come out in the press recently and given their support for what he's trying to do.

3) We have been watchable in the games we've played well in, and in spells of the other games bar Stoke. I'm not sure what you want his short term plan to be? Could you elaborate?

4) Chadli, Rose, Naughton, Kane have improved. Added to that he's brought Mason through. Just because they are further away from the first team squad doesn't mean that Poch has made them worse. Vertonghen's form has been on a slippery slope for a while now. I don't think Dembele or Soldado are really much further away, they've both been pretty much fringe players since AVB left and let's face it, Paulinho has been **** nomatter who's been in charge.

5) I genuinely don't care what he says in front of the cameras. He can hardly come out and say well 'here is exactly what I am going to do to put this right, I'm going to work on shape on Monday, get Kaboul heading a ball, bring in 6 sport psychiatrists and sack the tea lady' after every game that goes badly. What would you prefer he was saying? He's acknowledged things haven't been good enough, that's enough for me.

You make some good points. In fact, i'd go so far as saying you've made me feel much better about the situation. It's so hard not to kneejerk and let your emotions get the better of you. I like Poch and I desperately want him to succeed. I really hope he turns things around for the better and for the record i'm loving his trust in our youth players.

I think the performances have just been worse than I ever expected over the last few games and it's shaken me and my faith in him. I did enjoy the QPR and Sunderland games and we played well against Southampton, Arsenal and City in spells. We have been very very poor and disorganised for long spells recently however and I also would like to see more of his Southampton style being implemented quicker. I feel one of AVB's failings was in trying to implement his strategy too slowly, to the point where he never fully did it. The high line was stuck in a kind of half-way house where we never really went for it 100%.

Pochettino has got to forget the fact that he's at Spurs and that there are higher expectations. He's got to go hard for his principles. But I also think he could do with keeping things simple and organised at the back and in attack.

I am worried and hopefully i'm going to look like a complete dingdong for being so worried, so soon. I really hope that I do.

Back