• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Have to say I still think all the stuff about his leaving after the CL final is a perfect example of something becoming true just by being repeated often enough. I don't believe he ever intended those comments to be taken literally; I think he was just having a dig at the media, and I feel that view is supported by the fact he seems to have to preface every answer he gives to questions from the press now with a caveat about them not twisting his words when they come to report it.

We've had good PR pop up every now and then, Steff; we've heard similar positive gushes before capitulating badly in games so far this season so all this talk is irrelevant until we see things to that effect consistently on the pitch.

However, to absolve the manager of some of the blame for our current malaise is myopic at best: no-one can talk about any players "letting him down" without also criticising Poch's his own conduct in press conferences - including actually saying he would leave it the team won the CL AND REITERATING IT AFTERWARDS in case anyone thought he was joking or misquoted.
Example, Eriksen cannot be accused of "lack of loyalty" or "lack of commitment" by Poch (or anyone who fails to criticise Poch for his own words) after that.

We have to be fair in analysing where we are and how we got here

This is how narratives get written.

Anyone who had read what I have written will see I have had my criticisms of his actions. What I have steadfastly maintained is that there are circumstances, among them his own learning curve. But don’t think I haven’t had a few complaints, people don’t read them when they’re there.

Have to say I still think all the stuff about his leaving after the CL final is a perfect example of something becoming true just by being repeated often enough. I don't believe he ever intended those comments to be taken literally; I think he was just having a dig at the media, and I feel that view is supported by the fact he seems to have to preface every answer he gives to questions from the press now with a caveat about them not twisting his words when they come to report it.

Agreed. Boring innit?

A big step in seeing his learning curve will be if he plays the same side Sunday.

Play a different side on Sunday and lose (especially badly) will not help his leadership position, play the same and lose, it's completely understandable, this 11 earned that right.

Agreed unless there are injuries/potential injuries we don’t know about. Would you allow him that???

Don't you mean something being true because Pochettino HIMSELF re-iterated it?

This is what he said in July; he confirmed that he WOULD have left had Spurs won the CL: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49042602

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino says he may have left the club if they had won the Champions League.

The Argentine led Spurs to their first final in June, where they were beaten 2-0 by Liverpool.
Pochettino said prior to the game that he might need to "think about doing something different" should Spurs win.

"When you touch the glory, you behave differently, the players behave differently, the challenge becomes different," Pochettino said.

"If the result had been different, maybe you can think it is a moment to step out of the club and give it a possibility for a real new chapter with a new coaching staff.

"But, to finish like this? I am not a person who won't face problems or avoids difficult situations."

Put to him that many managers would have taken the alternative view, and stayed with the club if they had won, Pochettino said: "I agree with you.

"But I know Tottenham. It is not the same as another club.

"Myself and the coaching staff are not the same, no better or worse, just different. That is a normal mindset but we are getting results with ours."

So, it's clear from the horse's mouth i'm afraid; no misinterpretation, no mixeing up of words or any other of the usual excuses. Forget how we as fans take it, how do you think the players will take it, together with prospective signings? Why would they sign to play under a coach who says if we reach the pinnacle of success within a year, he's off?

This is what he said in July; he confirmed that he WOULD have left had Spurs won the CL: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49042602

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino says he may have left the club if they had won the Champions League.

The Argentine led Spurs to their first final in June, where they were beaten 2-0 by Liverpool.
Pochettino said prior to the game that he might need to "think about doing something different" should Spurs win.

"When you touch the glory, you behave differently, the players behave differently, the challenge becomes different," Pochettino said.

"If the result had been different, maybe you can think it is a moment to step out of the club and give it a possibility for a real new chapter with a new coaching staff.

"But, to finish like this? I am not a person who won't face problems or avoids difficult situations."

Put to him that many managers would have taken the alternative view, and stayed with the club if they had won, Pochettino said: "I agree with you.

"Myself and the coaching staff are not the same, no better or worse, just different. That is a normal mindset but we are getting results with ours."

So, it's clear from the horse's mouth i'm afraid; no misinterpretation, no mixeing up of words or any other of the usual excuses. Forget how we as fans take it, how do you think the players will take it, together with prospective signings? Why would they sign to play under a coach who says if we reach the pinnacle of success within a year, he's off?

Excatly … he should have just kept his mouth shut. He talks about players being loyal … what can he expect if he spouts off with brick like that.

This is how narratives get written.

Anyone who had read what I have written will see I have had my criticisms of his actions. What I have steadfastly maintained is that there are circumstances, among them his own learning curve. But don’t think I haven’t had a few complaints, people don’t read them when they’re there.

That's my point Steff: if you're going to throw Eriksen "Under the Bus" as it were with regards to "poor attitude" etc, then you have to do it to the manager as well. Which is why i think you should simply stop labelling Eriksen as such so strongly, because it makes you and others who do look hypocrites - unless you label Pochettino the same way...

Excatly … he should have just kept his mouth shut. He talks about players being loyal … what can he expect if he spouts off with brick like that.

It's quite amazing how people gloss over this double-standard tbh; it's probably for Poch far more damaging to the dressing-room than any brick Danny Rose comes out with tbh

Eriksen(dead leg), Alderweireld(rested) and Rose(rested) will be back in the starting eleven within the next 2 weeks.
Everyone is overreacting thinking Poch has made some decision to sideline players.
It's just the same way he stumbled into a 4231 in the first half against Red Star.
He played random formations and makes random selection decisions.
Of course he is gonna stumble into not playing any of the players the fans are out to get right now.

I feel the same way about that as well, but we all know that some fans are such miserable buggers and can not wait to get the pitchforks out. There are those who overthink everything they read and react to it.

Actually what he has there is if, might, think about, not the definate at all.
The only definitive is he will not run away.
I can only assume that you did not read that before you posted it.

That's my point Steff: if you're going to throw Eriksen "Under the Bus" as it were with regards to "poor attitude" etc, then you have to do it to the manager as well. Which is why i think you should simply stop labelling Eriksen as such so strongly, because it makes you and others who do look hypocrites - unless you label Pochettino the same way...

Oh dear...number one, am I a hypocrite? Most likely yes. At 52 years old it's hard not to be in one sense or another. But I disagree with your point. I was going to try and explain again but there's literally no point...so I'll bow out here. I know what I think and am very, very comfortable with that.

There is nowhere in that where he says he “would” have left the club - unless I am missing something. It’s all “may” and “might”.
I think there’s huge room for different interpretations.

There is nowhere in that where he says he “would” have left the club - unless I am missing something. It’s all “may” and “might”.
I think there’s huge room for different interpretations.

Shhhh. Don't let facts get in the way of a good smear... You'll be labelled 'forum police' in a minute.

There is a still a part of me fearing that Rose and Alderweireld at the least were rested for Sunday, but it’s not just this weekend too the next few weeks even into January are key for me, if he shows he is picking the right teams in a shape that suit the lads and it starts to look like we are building something he will start to slowly regain my trust, Tuesday helped and as brick as they were we can only beat what’s in front of us.

Let’s just hope it’s not back to formation lottery or eight defenders against teams parking the bus from the offset.
Precisely. Has Poch turned a corner, or is he still "learning" to use Steff's polite expression

Back