• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

So frustrating looking at the players we have now to when we were good with 4-2-3-1, We arguable have a better starting XI and certainly many more options from the bench to liven up the front quartet, why is he persisting with the diamond??

Tbf i suspect he probably thinks that we'd be even more vulnerable with 4-2-3-1...i'd find that a fair view given that Dier and Wanyama seem spent (and we've played that before last year and were still bleep..)

That goal before half-time epitomises where we are at....it would have been easy in the last minute of a half in a big game to just welly it clear and regroup...Poch seems to have mostly coached that out of us in his bid to make us even more progressive than we were at our best....

With the personel that we have available I think I would actually look to go with a 4-1-4-1 formation.

Thats kind of like 4-3-3, which I wouldn't have a problem with given that when we lose the ball it becomes like a 4-5-1 as our wingers would support our full backs out wide. The formation which he started last night (4-3-1-2) doesnt sound too different however its problem is that our full-backs get ganged up on out wide, and we only defend with 7 men.

That goal before half-time epitomises where we are at....it would have been easy in the last minute of a half in a big game to just welly it clear and regroup...Poch seems to have mostly coached that out of us in his bid to make us even more progressive than we were at our best....

When that went in, the writing was on the wall. It was so poor defensively, the way we sat back, were not in a good shape and basically let them take control. And the detail too. Weak clearances etc.

To be fair to Poch he didn't really have a choice with Aurier. He wasn't awful, but is not a great defender. Sanchez might have had more cool in defence against a very clinical Bayern.

Don’t disagree
Just thought we were the much better side in the first half and it like it was working to me in the south stand

My mates watching telly had a very different view

Our forwards were/are constantly let down by Poch these days
We just can't defend, far too porous. Not any individuals fault, its setup and team ethos!
We must now learn game management which seems to be missing this year.

Depends on if Levy/the board have financially backed Poch and would be prepared to back either of these two; you can bet your life they wont be coming here to talk about 'projects' etc, they will want to win now and want backing to that effect.

If Poch goes and Levy instead of trying to appoint one of these guys, instead goes for someone like Eddie Howe, we will all have our answer..

They spent £150m in the summer, if thats not financial backing I dont know what is.

If either Allegri or Mourinho come in, it will be in full knowledge of the constraints we have as a club. Not sure it indicates much of anything either way to be honest.

I thought our press was very, very well orchestrated in that first 30 minutes last night. There were even players giving their opponent just a bit of space so that the pass would be played to them before they pressed them with their opposite number then having no out ball at all. When a team presses there will always be space in behind. It is just very hard for the opposition to play through the press and find those players in space. In the opening 30 minutes Bayern hardly managed it at all whereas we won the ball back high up the pitch on numerous occasions or benefitted from rushed, poor clearances from their keeper that we exploited with them not yet re-organised defensively. If we play as we did in that opening 30 minutes against PL opposition we would be 3 - 0 up in most games (and could've been last night with a bit more composure from Son).

I just dont agree. Probably not a surprise, we dont seem to see eye to eye on much lately.

Watching the game it was a car crash waiting to happen, not in hindsight but in real time. When we scored I thought "thank fudge for that, we might get away with this one". Not that it was well deserved or a reward for dominance or any of it. Bayern were carving us open just as we were them, it was a basketball game not a tactical game. Not the case of us working a shape, a plan, and succeeding. There were a few warning shots from them before we scored, and when we did it was only a matter of time before they got one back.

I dont think the team was well orchestrated at all. They were all over the place, in both the disjointed press and haphazard attack. We at no point had a good shape all night really (save for the few minutes we slipped into a 4231 and seemed to know what we were doing).

People clinging to half hour where we werent crushed, and xg, IMHO seem to be missing the point. That was a 2-7 thrashing that was thoroughly deserved from the moment Poch put the team sheet in.

They spent £150m in the summer, if thats not financial backing I dont know what is.

If either Allegri or Mourinho come in, it will be in full knowledge of the constraints we have as a club. Not sure it indicates much of anything either way to be honest.

I just dont agree. Probably not a surprise, we dont seem to see eye to eye on much lately.

Watching the game it was a car crash waiting to happen, not in hindsight but in real time. When we scored I thought "thank fudge for that, we might get away with this one". Not that it was well deserved or a reward for dominance or any of it. Bayern were carving us open just as we were them, it was a basketball game not a tactical game. Not the case of us working a shape, a plan, and succeeding. There were a few warning shots from them before we scored, and when we did it was only a matter of time before they got one back.

I dont think the team was well orchestrated at all. They were all over the place, in both the disjointed press and haphazard attack. We at no point had a good shape all night really (save for the few minutes we slipped into a 4231 and seemed to know what we were doing).

People clinging to half hour where we werent crushed, and xg, IMHO seem to be missing the point. That was a 2-7 thrashing that was thoroughly deserved from the moment Poch put the team sheet in.

Same way I saw it from the Shelf, in fact basketball is how I described it in the match thread as well.

When we went 4-2-3-1 was the time when we sat in shape, had a good block and made Bayern pass it from side to side in front of us. It lasted about 5 minutes before Moura came on.

They spent 150M yes, but having not spent ANYTHING for 3 windows, plus not buying another attacker to take the burden off Kane, plus not buying some reinforcements needed elsewhere (rb, dcm), could it not seen as too little too late, given what our rivals have done to bolster their squads over those windows?

Exactly this. I see a people clinging to these stats. It's bollox. Yes Bayern were clinical but I don't care how clinical someone is, you should never, ever concede 7 at home. This happens to no other top team. It's a sign of the problems we have.

It's like against Leicester. "We were an armpit away from a 2-0 lead." So what? This is what separates the better teams from the other ones. They have a 1-0 lead and don't lose the game even after the disappointment of having a VAR goal ruled out.

We're weak. Put some pressure on and we fold. From 2015 to 2017, that wasn't really the case. Now, it's every bloody week and we can see the set-up issues plain as day and the mentality problem is also there to see albeit not quite as tangible. And the manager doesn't seem to be able to address either - in fact, it looks like he's only adding to both problems.

Our press last night was the same press that a lower league team does v a top team in a cup game.

Give it your all for as long as possible and hope that something happens before your fitness gives out and the opposition get into their stride.

It might have looked good, but it was never going to be sustainable for the midfield 3 as they had simply too much ground to cover and we never controlled the ball long enough to rest.

The idea is to press and be compact whether you win the ball or not, what should have happened is that if the press failed or Bayern had possession. Alli at the minimum should have dropped in to make a 4 in midfield, but him Kane and Son stayed high (except that bizarre passage of play when Kane was playing DM with Sissoko and Ndomblele either side of him.

We were defending in three different units instead of one.
Disagree. Our press wasn't a lower league run around like mad with a random one or more players closing down the ball, it was instead well orchestrated with each player pressing specific opponents and taking up specific positions in unison with the player pressing. It was never going to be sustainable for the entire game I agree but I don't think we stopped doing it because our legs gave out (as typically when that happens you see the press being given up on player by player and ending up with a couple of players still pressing manically but completely ineffective.

I could be wrong but I thought it looked a conscious decision to move away from the press last night, probably because Poch and the team knew that it isn't sustainable for a full 45 minutes? Even after we stopped pressing, whilst Bayern dominated possession somewhat, they didn't actually look particularly dangerous, they just scored two goals from exceptional finishes. We had chances ourselves last night from similar positions from which we missed the target. Lewandowski's second goal for example was unbelievable. As the ball went to him with his back to goal, I sat there thinking 'there isn't much danger here', but the turn and shot were incredible. Bayern were not carving us open, we looked OK for the most part and often it was our own sloppiness in possession around our box that let them in.

The second half was of course a different story, especially towards the end, but we played about 4 different formations in the second half last night and had completely abandoned any shape at all by the last 15 minutes.

The Sky report of last night's game was similar to how I saw it while at the ground.....

"For the opening half an hour at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, Mauricio Pochettino's side seemed to be back to their old selves. All the intensity that had been lost in recent months came flooding back as they overwhelmed Bayern Munich with a frenzied display of pressing.

Heung-Min Son's opening goal arrived after 12 minutes, but could have been three by that point And while Joshua Kimmich equalised soon afterwards, Spurs just kept coming, carving the visitors open repeatedly only to be thwarted by Manuel Neuer's alertness in the Bayern goal.

By the end though, those early stages of the game, when the South Stand was a wall of noise and Spurs seemed set to put their recent troubles behind them, were long forgotten. Boos rang out at the final whistle. They would have been far louder had the stadium not already been half empty."

4-2 isn't an embarrassment, 7-2 is. The transition from one to the other came as we removed defensive players near the end of the game and threw 5 attackers on in an attempt to salvage something. It failed and one of the best teams in Europe capitalised.
That's not the usual diagnosis from a game where a team concedes seven or gets beat by five goals.
Not many teams other than Bayern would have held out quite so well against our attack last night, nor do I think we'd have conceded anywhere near as many against almost any other team.

Agree with that but what will this do to the players belief in the manager? Lose to Brighton and then Poch is in trouble I suspect.

They spent 150M yes, but having not spent ANYTHING for 3 windows, plus not buying another attacker to take the burden off Kane, plus not buying some reinforcements needed elsewhere (rb, dcm), could it not seen as too little too late, given what our rivals have done to bolster their squads over those windows?

All distraction.

Do we, or do we not, have a team/squad capable of playing football far better than we currently are?

If the answer is yes (and I believe it is) then its a failure of management. The rest is noise.

A Brighton defeat would be the final tap on the final nail in the coffin of Pochattino's excellent tenure.

Last edited:
Doh! Please can someone take pity on me and explain what the Diamond is?
What is wrong with it?

Its when Carbon makes covalent bonds with other carbon under high heat and pressure which results in a crystallized structure which is really strong and will need applied heat and pressure to actually break the bonds. However this would require tremendous amounts.

If there are lights involved then you may get a duo making a terrible song …

Apart from that in a football formation it leaves the full backs exposed, especially if they are inept in the first place.

What is wrong with it?

Apparently it’s a deep midfielder
Flanked slightly further forward by two other midfielders and one up top making a diamond shape

I’ve said for ages it’s bullocks as we play 3CMs there and it’s much more a 4-3-3 with the only width coming from full backs

What is wrong with it?

My take.

You've got a central midfielder who really needs to be able to defend as he's sitting at the base of the diamond on his own. He's also got a lot of ground to cover as he doesn't have a partner. Winks is not defensively minded so immediately, our back 4 is exposed and Winks attributes are nullified.

Then you have Sissoko and Ndombele who are either side of the diamond and they're caught between covering the full backs and helping Winks. Often, in trying to do both, they do neither and you see a particularly weak full-back like Aurier getting destroyed time and again because he isn't very good and he has no help.

If he is going to persist with this system, he has to have a shut-off valve. No longer than thirty minutes at the outside, then 4231 whether we've gone ahead or not. Play Dier in the two, and no square pegs as far as possible. Otherwise this fragile situation will become an ever-deepening crisis of confidence (if it hasn't already—heads dropped last night as sure as the last time we shipped 7). That's only going to end one way (and I don't mean in a top 4 finish). Urgent surgery required.

Back