• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I’m only going by what we’re seeing in the first 4 games. He’s clearly been trying to make a diamond work, but that’s only one part of the point. Maybe he changes it up - I have no idea what will happen.

The other is that we are clearly more comfortable facing more long shots and crosses, with the trade off being that if we can create good break away opportunities, there’s a higher chance that they are clearer cut. We as a fan base, and ideally the media, should get comfortable with that rather than assuming we are necessarily failing to impose ourselves.

For over a season now things have been compromised, very far from optimal. And thats continued into this season with fitness issues etc.

Id be wary of looking at anything we have done the last year on the field and reading into it. Theres every chance its nothing more than 'needs must'.

From what Ive seen of the players we have bought, I dont think your hypothesis stands up. I could be wrong, but it just doesnt fit IMO.

More likely, I would say, there is a preferred design we are yet to see revealed, obviously - its been impossible to date.

I do think we are failing to impose ourselves. More specifically I think we are failing to play anywhere near our best, both collectively and individually. We are playing like a team retrofitted to a system that doesnt suit it.

So while, yes, it could be a transitional phase moving into a diamond etc - I really just think its simpler than that.

I’m only going by what we’re seeing in the first 4 games. He’s clearly been trying to make a diamond work, but that’s only one part of the point. Maybe he changes it up - I have no idea what will happen.

The other is that we are clearly more comfortable facing more long shots and crosses, with the trade off being that if we can create good break away opportunities, there’s a higher chance that they are clearer cut. We as a fan base, and ideally the media, should get comfortable with that rather than assuming we are necessarily failing to impose ourselves.
But there are plenty of home games where we have no choice but to impose ourselves...they come to let us have possession and camp around their area.

For these games we just need to be braver, vertical passes, decent Width from FB's, interchanging positions with no fear that it matters if you lose it (hell that may even actually work in our favour as it breaks the pattern of play)

But there are plenty of home games where we have no choice but to impose ourselves...they come to let us have possession and camp around their area.

For these games we just need to be braver, vertical passes, decent Width from FB's, interchanging positions with no fear that it matters if you lose it (hell that may even actually work in our favour as it breaks the pattern of play)

The imposing ourselves comment is more related to the games against Arsenal and City, and not a comment to say we played well, more to say that the type of game we wanted to play was as we saw. Play deeper, hit on the counter, direct first ball then overloads. At home, I absolutely agree we need to work this through and said so on my initial post on this subject. There we do need to impose ourselves.

The below would be my first and second choice players for a midfield diamond.

---------------------------Winks/Dier
------N'Dombele/Sissoko------------Lo Celso/Lamela
---------------- -----------Eriksen/Ali
Looks good as long as Winks or Dier can keep some kind of form.

The problem with the diamond is it can be narrow, and if we want width it usually requires good attacking full backs, that can command their wing on their own (if need be). Think we're well short of that.

The below would be my first and second choice players for a midfield diamond.

---------------------------Winks/Dier
------N'Dombele/Sissoko------------Lo Celso/Lamela
---------------- -----------Eriksen/Ali
I think Eriksson/Ali means having one of our top players on the bench.

I'm not a fan of any system that means we're not regularly playing both of them, Son and Kane.

2 of NDombele/Winks/Dier/Sissoko replacement/Sissoko
Behind
3 of Eriksen/Ali/Son/Lamela/Lo Celso/Moura
Behind
Kane

Is a far better solution in my eyes. Mine are also in pecking order, although you'll need to allow for the three behind Kane being slightly different positions.

I think we are deliberately playing a diamond - it seems to be something Poch is intent on getting right. And I acknowledge it hasn’t worked very well in the past, either this season or when Poch first tried it in the game that Winks got his first goal, against West Ham.

But when it comes to what we are playing now, particularly in these games against City and Arsenal so far, it’s different to what we expect from a Poch team. There is no real pressing as we know it. There was no desire to dominate possession in the opponents’ half. There was no real high defensive line. It is a narrow formation designed to spring a counter attack and it requires good execution on passes made from front to back. One time Eriksen ballsed up a break away and Poch was furious - because those are the chances we wanted to create in that game. Eriksen’s goal was near enough perfect execution of the strategy, and if memory serves the play leading to the penalty came from a good fast break getting us there.

There are still kinks to work out. We got too easily panicked for for their first goal and need to understand that even if we don’t have a possession strategy there are times we still need to make calmer choices with the ball. And for the second, we stood off a lot although to be fair Guendouzi’s pass was excellent. We also need to figure out how we play the diamond in games where we expect to dominate possession. We need more positional interchange, we need more fluidity in those games, but I will assume this will come and the first games are Poch trying to establish the shape before adding more complexity.

But maybe he likes it because with most teams having moves away from a back 3 again and towards a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, he thinks this gives him enough of an advantage in the right areas to create a structural benefit, in the way 3-4-3 did for Conte. I don’t know for sure - I’m by no means an expert, but he seems determined with this formation.

Work out the kinks and I think it’s a good big game formation. We’ve gone to two tough grounds and come away undefeated now. And particularly in the Arsenal game we created chances enough to win with better composure. But even in the City game, despite the shots I think there were large periods we did lock them out. Then it’s just sorting possession out against deep defending sides when the 3 up on the counter doesn’t work. As I said, fluidity is important. Quick interchanges are important - the type that lead to Kane’s post rattler. I’m sure we can get there.

And I will say, if we are moving away from pressing hopefully this will benefit us more over the season. And we have a squad that can suit. Players like Lo Celso and Sessegnon can play so many roles in the formation. So can near enough all of our midfielders. We just need to sort possession out, and make the right decisions under pressure so as not to concede stupid goals like the one before half time.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Much appreciated. I'll take time to gather my thoughts and come back to you on this over this international break.

Dele Alli, when fit, starts every time.

That seems to be Poch’s view. Can’t say I agree with it. The Alli or 2015/16, 16/17 is one of the best players in the league. If we are going by form in the last 18 months then he shouldn’t start every time. He hasn’t been a game changing player for us for a couple of seasons. Granted he needs to be deployed in his best position but I certainly don’t believe he’s a better player than he was a couple of years ago.

The only player other than Kane who should start every match in attacking sense for me is Son for his goals and pace.

[
That seems to be Poch’s view. Can’t say I agree with it. The Alli or 2015/16, 16/17 is one of the best players in the league. If we are going by form in the last 18 months then he shouldn’t start every time. He hasn’t been a game changing player for us for a couple of seasons. Granted he needs to be deployed in his best position but I certainly don’t believe he’s a better player than he was a couple of years ago.

The only player other than Kane who should start every match in attacking sense for me is Son for his goals and pace.

Plus he’s a diver, right? ;-)

[

Plus he’s a diver, right? ;-)

?? I don’t know how that was crow barred into the discussion. Yes he has dived in the past and has been booked for it on numerous occasions but that’s a separate issue. If you want to believe it that none of our players have ever dived in then that is your prerogative. That aside, I personally fail to see how his performances, overall play and goals tally cannot be compared to his first two seasons with us without coming to conclusion that at the very least, he is no better now than he was back then. Not saying he CANT find that form again but we need more from him than he has given us in terms of goals in the last two seasons.

?? I don’t know how that was crow barred into the discussion. Yes he has dived in the past and has been booked for it on numerous occasions but that’s a separate issue. If you want to believe it that none of our players have ever dived in then that is your prerogative. That aside, I personally fail to see how his performances, overall play and goals tally cannot be compared to his first two seasons with us without coming to conclusion that at the very least, he is no better now than he was back then. Not saying he CANT find that form again but we need more from him than he has given us in terms of goals in the last two seasons.

Nah. Not my perogative. Your assumption.

As for his "overall performances" etc, how many times must it be said that he has been playing DIFFERENT ROLES for us since then, and that if he is to return to that goal tally, he is going to have to be deployed in around Kane uptop? And how many times must it be noted how much excellent, smart defensive work and running he engages in for the good of the team?

Would you object to me disagreeing with you again? Are we good with that?...

What's really interesting to me is that the xG graph I keep posting has now been extended further and shows that our poor trend has continued.

I think it makes very clear why Poch wanted several out last summer, as we clearly needed/need new younger blood in several key positions. Sessegnon and Ndombele are going to be huge differences, but we still need more. I was once against Dybala but now believe he would be a great catalytic point.

Sessegnon will need some time to get acclimatised with the EPL and what Poch demands and Ndombele still needs to settle in the UK!

Dybala, I'm 50/50, he was a shiny new toy which is never unattractive but I'm not convinced.

Last edited:
Back