• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Matt Doherty

Haven't read through the full thread so I may be posting something that's already been posted/disproven but...

If the story that we terminated his contract because we didn't realise the rules on maximum loans is true, and the BBC reported it as fact on Tuesday night, that's beyond unprofessional and is unforgivable. Someone should get a very serious arse kicking for that.

Wish Doherty all the best. On the whole, he's been pretty mediocre for us. Not great, not terrible. Wish him all the best - what an opportunity for him.

Ok to save you reading back here are the rules.

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/organisation/media-releases/fifa-to-introduce-new-loan-regulations
From 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023, a club may have a maximum of eight professionals loaned out and eight loaned in at any given time during a season. - From 1 July 2023 to 30 June 2024, the same configuration applies but with a maximum of seven professionals. - Finally, from 1 July 2024, the same configuration will apply but limited to a maximum of six professionals.

Here is the important bit.

Players aged 21 and younger and club-trained players will be exempt from these limitations.

Udogie is under 21. So did we have 8 that the rules aplied to or 7?

Ok to save you reading back here are the rules.

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/organisation/media-releases/fifa-to-introduce-new-loan-regulations
From 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023, a club may have a maximum of eight professionals loaned out and eight loaned in at any given time during a season. - From 1 July 2023 to 30 June 2024, the same configuration applies but with a maximum of seven professionals. - Finally, from 1 July 2024, the same configuration will apply but limited to a maximum of six professionals.

Here is the important bit.

Players aged 21 and younger and club-trained players will be exempt from these limitations.

Udogie is under 21. So did we have 8 that the rules aplied to or 7?
I believe they released an addendum months later to correct/clarify that U-21s would actually fall within the limitations

Edit - here.
https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/78565...ons-on-the-Status-and-Transfer-of-Players.pdf
Page 7 Section J: The limit on the number of loans will thus not apply to players who are loaned prior to the end of the season of the former club in which they turn 21 AND provided that they are club-trained players with the former club. For the sake of clarity, the two conditions are cumulative.
Udogie isn't club-trained with us.

So if FIFA had to issue a clarifying addendum in November, I guess that a few people had read the initial proposal like you did.
That both U-21s and club-trained players would be exempt. Rather than it being players who were U-21 AND club trained

Winks is club trained right?

Is he in the 8?

So in the 8 due to being too old

Last edited:
Indeed, see above.

It does seem a bit fudged they change it mid season for the current season. Didn't read it all but how does that effect clubs that already had more out on loan? Would they have to recall them?

Also goes to show if we sorted porro earlier we could have sorted a domestic loan instead. Maybe even a sale. Although we may have sorted something with atletico. We release him you give us more for reguilon...

I see matt doherty only signed a 5 month contract with atletico. Does that mean he might come back? Be a surprise.

Ohhh i have a sneaky idea.

We terminated dohertys contract, he signs 5 month deal with atletico. We sign him on a pre contract to get him back in the summer. Doherty might do it as if he gets injured he's fudged.

If that is the case it's a genius way to get around the fudge up.

I think my simple issue with him is that he has blown prices way out of proportion, and the market will reflect that for some time.US sports operates on a different system. You don’t see transfer fees in the NFL or MLB, it is salary caps. Accurate as it is factually to say he is not infringing on fair play, I think you can safely say he is bending lax rules as far as possible. Look up the last deal he just did; sneaky.

its also a high risk game for boehly. while its possible to mitigate the risk of long contracts by tying players to on pitch success, i believe it will be unlawful to tie it to injuries and we all know what's it like being tied down to a highly paid sicknote. boehly is probably coming off the profitable business model that the chelsea academy has had by hoovering up the best young talents and this is the senior squad version of it.

it also sorts of compete's with Levy's strategy - do you put your available resources behind cinemas and events or the best young talents? for me i have always believed success by nicheing and finding ancillary businesses within an industry is overall a less risky and more efficient strategy than diversifying into new industries.

We terminated dohertys contract, he signs 5 month deal with atletico. We sign him on a pre contract to get him back in the summer. Doherty might do it as if he gets injured he's fudged.

Wouldn't the bigger fudge up just be having a brick old player on our wage bill again

Been watching too much TV pal. Put the remote down.

Why on earth would Doherty come back to a club where is not a regular and have splashed out a wedge on their main RB?

Are you Gutter Boy in disguise?

Back