• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Matt Doherty

Read the rules and i still don't know the rules.

You tell me what this means.

Players aged 21 and younger and club-trained players will be exempt from these limitations.

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/organisation/media-releases/fifa-to-introduce-new-loan-regulations

Is udogie counted or not?

If it is because udogie would have to be both club trained and u21, then it is far from clear and could see us claiming compo from fifa for being dingdongs in their wording.

For me saying players twice suggests 2 different groups.

If Udogie & Gil aren't exempt for being u21 then the rule should surely have been written as:

Club trained players aged 21 and under?

We are putting a lot of eggs into the Porro basket. Pedro has a good engine so should be fit for most matches but you know, Spurs and all that :)

I'm certain we'll see Sanchez or Moura getting game time for us at RWB this season. It's actually nailed on.

What ? That’s mental that we’ve done that. Especially over Royal. That does not like good strategy. Poor planning and again highlighting we can’t shift the brick of our books. Ndombele etc.
Not mental at all. Doherty and Royale neither are going to be first choice. Doherty is what 30 odd now? Royale still has his best years ahead of him. Royale is a perfectly good full back who if Conte leaves and someone comes in with a Back 4 setup would be perfect. He has also shown he can perform on many occassions as wingback. We would also receive a decent fee for him if we were to sell him. If Conte stays I see it being Pedro and Spence next season and Royale sold in the summer. Either way it makes more sense to keep Royale, it wasn’t as if Doherty was regularly getting game time ahead of him anyway….

Agreed, though slightly worrying that the club didn’t seem to know the rules. I suspect this has cost us a bit of money paying up at least some of his contract.

That would be concerning if true. A lot that points in that direction. Why loan then terminate the contract if not true. Why not keep him on our books and try to get some fee (even small) in the summer. Why not just sell him for a minimal fee instead...

That being said, thanks and good luck to Doherty. Another that bounced back, but ultimately also not quite good enough in the end. Good to have those bounce back responses. Played an important part in us getting CL this season.

18 months left on contract

Approx £75K/week, so £5.8M in wages potentially saved (depends on the release negotiation)

Agreed, though slightly worrying that the club didn’t seem to know the rules. I suspect this has cost us a bit of money paying up at least some of his contract.

That's exactly how I see it. We owed him the total amount either way so if we saved even a penny it's more money in our pocket than we would have had. He wasn't attracting any attention sale wise so we would have actively had to try to sell him which we couldn't do until the Porro deal was confirmed. You could argue if the Porro deal was completed earlier then maybe we could have gotten a small fee but cest la vie.

We are putting a lot of eggs into the Porro basket. Pedro has a good engine so should be fit for most matches but you know, Spurs and all that :)

Conte clearly didn't rate Doherty as highly as he did Royal, so it's no big loss honestly. If Doherty was first choice then it would be a stranger move but he wasn't. He's old and has little resale value.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

This. I am actually alarmed. As I said elsewhere, if it has all come down to Conte not being sure who he wants in or out, there’s still no excuse for not knowing this basic rule, and no excuse for our DoF not having it all in hand. That is part of his job.

That was my thinking though I guess its possible that we were planning to sell Doherty and it fell over? Or were intending to loan Spence domestically and then the Rennes deal came up which we felt was better so went for that, in the knowledge of the international loan problem

Doherty's transfer value was probably relatively low/zero anyway given he's 31 and would only have had a year left on his contract in the summer

This. I am actually alarmed. As I said elsewhere, if it has all come down to Conte not being sure who he wants in or out, there’s still no excuse for not knowing this basic rule, and no excuse for our DoF not having it all in hand. That is part of his job.
As I said earlier, I think this had nothing to do with the club not knowing the rules. I believe it was done this way to make sure he'd have time to find a club and get registration completed, without having to rush it to make the deadline.
Players without contract can sign outside of the transfer window.

As I said earlier, I think this had nothing to do with the club not knowing the rules. I believe it was done this way to make sure he'd have time to find a club and get registration completed, without having to rush it to make the deadline.
Players without contract can sign outside of the transfer window.
To make sure he had time?. Yes he has all the time in the world now he's a free agent. Yet we announce this at 10pm (c.ould of done it anytime yesterday) and all Matthew secures himself is a 5 month playing contract? Announced before a deadline he didn't have to make.
Some last minute scrambling creates that situation imo

Interesting that all of Mourinho's signings have been systematically purged by Paratici - Doherty, Bergwijn, Bale, Hart, Gedson, Vinicius, Reguilon and Rodon all now gone. Only Hojbjerg remains of his 9 signings.

To make sure he had time?. Yes he has all the time in the world now he's a free agent. Yet we announce this at 10pm (c.ould of done it anytime yesterday) and all Matthew secures himself is a 5 month playing contract? Announced before a deadline he didn't have to make.
Some last minute scrambling creates that situation imo
I think they were probably negotiating, and saw that they might not be able to make it before the deadline. You won't know that until quite late, right? Then terminating the contract was a smart solution, and gave the player and new club time. Don't get all the fuzz.
Much ado about nothing.

I think they were probably negotiating, and saw that they might not be able to make it before the deadline. You won't know that until quite late, right? Then terminating the contract was a smart solution, and gave the player and new club time. Don't get all the fuzz.
Much ado about nothing.

Really? let me explain the rules

- Anything good happen, any smart deal, any young player that develops, a new £1B stadium with good financing -> pure luck, blind donkey could have done it, nothing 30+ clubs haven't done before and better.
- Anything vaguely bad/different happen -> we are run by fudging donkeys, don't even know the basic rules (that google taught us), it's cost us millions, we will never get top 4 again, no manager or player will ever want to sign for us, on and on ..

- Anything good happen, any smart deal, any young player that develops, a new £1B stadium with good financing -> pure luck, blind donkey could have done it, nothing 30+ clubs haven't done before and better.
- Anything vaguely bad/different happen -> we are run by fudging donkeys, don't even know the basic rules (that google taught us), it's cost us millions, we will never get top 4 again, no manager or player will ever want to sign for us, on and on ..
It’s funny because it’s soo true unfortunately!

Yeah, some really just have to moan about something. People have been raging about us not getting rid of players, and when we do, that's wrong too...

That would be concerning if true. A lot that points in that direction. Why loan then terminate the contract if not true. Why not keep him on our books and try to get some fee (even small) in the summer. Why not just sell him for a minimal fee instead...

That being said, thanks and good luck to Doherty. Another that bounced back, but ultimately also not quite good enough in the end. Good to have those bounce back responses. Played an important part in us getting CL this season.

The reality is more likely that lots of moving pieces are all happening alongside eachother in a very very short space of time.

Likely scenario:
We were intending to keep Gil and loan out Doherty if Porro happened.
Then Danjuma happened, so Gil going on loan made sense.
We were already talking to AM about Doherty loan, so that was their understanding.
Suddenly Gil loan happens and we have a situation. So have to talk to Doherty re: his contract and simultaneously testing the waters with the clubs that have our loan players to see if they want to buy.

All of this, involving multiple parties, in multiple languages and multiple locations happening in a few day and then frantically on one day.
All whilst other normal life is going on.

The reality is more likely that lots of moving pieces are all happening alongside eachother in a very very short space of time.

Likely scenario:
We were intending to keep Gil and loan out Doherty if Porro happened.
Then Danjuma happened, so Gil going on loan made sense.
We were already talking to AM about Doherty loan, so that was their understanding.
Suddenly Gil loan happens and we have a situation. So have to talk to Doherty re: his contract and simultaneously testing the waters with the clubs that have our loan players to see if they want to buy.

All of this, involving multiple parties, in multiple languages and multiple locations happening in a few day and then frantically on one day.
All whilst other normal life is going on.

I agree that's quite likely. But quite a while since Danjuma happened. Gil was well in the works before deadline day I think.

But yeah, no reasons to conclude. Just a bit peculiar.

Much ado about nothing.

This, mountains out of molehills from those who just want yet ANOTHER dig at Levy and the club.

And you have hit the tickle my balls with a feather,good summing up.

I agree that's quite likely. But quite a while since Danjuma happened. Gil was well in the works before deadline day I think.

But yeah, no reasons to conclude. Just a bit peculiar.
We signed Dan Juma..... a week ago! Nuts right?!
That's the point at which things can change with Gil. And that includes matchdays in Spain and here.

So many moving pieces and parties involved.

Or both - Enic gets credited withg the good and bad stuff.

Yeah, some really just have to moan about something. People have been raging about us not getting rid of players, and when we do, that's wrong too...

I get there's a sense of damned we do, damned if we don't but the manner of getting rid of players is up for discussion imo.

Releasing sellable assets on a free doesn't look good from a business perspective. Same but to a lesser degree with Aurier, but if Doherty is good enough for a club like Atletico he's got to be worth something surely?

Permanently loaning talented players like GLC / Tanguy, or in the case of Bryan, buying talented youngsters for a lot of money and a first teamer and then eventually loaning him back to that very club, it looks haphazard at best imo.

Hopefully it's these decisions that look rather odd to me at least, will take us to having a better squad in the long run.

All the very best to Doherty as a person though, hope he excels out there (and also that Kane doesn't miss him too much!)

Last edited:
Back