• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Marmalade

Notmegov

Roman Pavlyuchenko
Just created my 5th batch of Marmalade of this season, i also love to make chutneys and jams!! Any of you fine fellows partake in such ventures?

Yeah I make a mean tomato chutney.
What kind of oranges do you use, the more sour/bitter the better I find. I once made a batch of marmalade using cumquats - I think you can get them over there - small sour little buggers, look like a golfball-sized orange, they make fantastic marmalade. Sweet eating oranges aren't as good.
On a sad note, one of my banana trees blew over in the wind last week :(

Im not sure if I should post my Marmalade opinion in this particular thread until someone confirms whether it is the *** Official *** Marmalade thread ?

O/T but - any good recipes for chilli paste?

Besides salt and vinegar (and a bit of sugar) are there any other key ingridients?

Last edited:
Jams, no. Chutney, yes. Apple based. Make my batches every other year from apples provided by the brother-in-law. Still have my mean as hell red hot one to crack open from a batch I made eighteen months ago. Mmmmm..... chutney! Beats that bloody rubbish Branston pickle crap for sarnies.

is it difficult?

As Nigel Slater said "if you enjoy the proccess of cooking and not just the out come then its easy"

Its fantastic house smells of citrus fruits and it seams to make the wife want to give my naughty kisses whilst i have my apron on!!!

What kind of oranges do you use, the more sour/bitter the better I find. :(

I use Seville oranges, they are just fantastic. I also add lemons as well not just the juice but the peel as well!! .

The lot i made last night i also added some black treacle with the sugar......its made a relay dark full of flavor Marmalade.

As Nigel Slater said "if you enjoy the proccess of cooking and not just the out come then its easy"

Its fantastic house smells of citrus fruits and it seams to make the wife want to give my naughty kisses whilst i have my apron on!!!

good quote that!

i think i prefer the cooking to the eating tbh!
although the Mrs always gets uptight about anything that makes the house smell

I checked this a while ago - seems to do with the fruits used (citrus for marmalade and sweet for jam)

It's that time of year again.....trust me homemade marmalade is just the best thing on toast.

Back