• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch 2015/16

I can't see Benitez fairing any better than McLaren, both of similar ability imo, Benitez has just worked with a much higher calibre of player.

My concern would be that Saudi Sportswashing Machine have a few players ignoring the playbook, in all his time at Liverpool he couldn't keep that Cnut gerrard in check and they suffered for it, also he'll happy play the incompetent village idiot at CB to keep the fans on side, although in this case, that's probably not going to make things worse.

I can't see Benitez fairing any better than McLaren, both of similar ability imo, Benitez has just worked with a much higher calibre of player.

My concern would be that Saudi Sportswashing Machine have a few players ignoring the playbook, in all his time at Liverpool he couldn't keep that Cnut gerrard in check and they suffered for it, also he'll happy play the incompetent village idiot at CB to keep the fans on side, although in this case, that's probably not going to make things worse.

Benitez is head and shoulders above McLaren on every level.

Though Benitez and Ashley will probably have a falling out somewhere between the signing of the contract and the press conference to announce his arrival.

Benitez is head and shoulders above McLaren on every level.

Though Benitez and Ashley will probably have a falling out somewhere between the signing of the contract and the press conference to announce his arrival.

I disagree, if you grade their performance on what they have had to work with I see very similar trajectories. We also can't overlook Mclaren's involvement at Manchester United.

Has been reported that Benitez is fairly desperate to return to England.

In the current table I'd say pretty much the top 10 clubs wouldn't sign him in the summer primarily because they're happy with who they got. Maybe an outside shot of Southampton upgrading from Koeman. He obviously won't go to Everton even if they do pull the trigger on Martinez.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine (assuming he manages to keep them up) looks about as good a prospect as any of the remaining clubs. Except for the Ashley factor of course.

I disagree, if you grade their performance on what they have had to work with I see very similar trajectories. We also can't overlook Mclaren's involvement at Manchester United.

You'll have to back that one up a bit more...

What has McClaren done post-Middlesborough that's impressive? One league win at Twente when Ajax were in a slump?

Has been reported that Benitez is fairly desperate to return to England.

In the current table I'd say pretty much the top 10 clubs wouldn't sign him in the summer primarily because they're happy with who they got. Maybe an outside shot of Southampton upgrading from Koeman. He obviously won't go to Everton even if they do pull the trigger on Martinez.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine (assuming he manages to keep them up) looks about as good a prospect as any of the remaining clubs. Except for the Ashley factor of course.

You'll have to back that one up a bit more...

What has McClaren done post-Middlesborough that's impressive? One league win at Twente when Ajax were in a slump?

why doesn't his time at Boro count as well?

i'd say he's done a reasonable job within the context of his situation in every role, just like Rafa, they have both had exceptional domestic success, Shteve in Holland, Rafa in Spain, and both massively overachieved in Europe, with Boro and the dippers

I think perhaps we differ on our appraisal of Benitez rather than McClaren, I think his palmares masks timing and deficiencies quite well

Last edited:
why doesn't his time at Boro count as well?

i'd say he's done a reasonable job within the context of his situation in every role, just like Rafa, they have both had exceptional domestic success, Shteve in Holland, Rafa in Spain, and both massively overachieved in Europe, with Boro and the dippers

I think perhaps we differ on our appraisal of Benitez rather than McClaren, I think his palmares masks timing and deficiencies quite well

His time at Boro counts just fine. But I would expect more from someone being compared to Benitez.

Benitez brilliantly at Valencia and Liverpool. Neither club has been close to replicating that since he left. He failed at Inter and Real was a big meh. But his spell at Chelsea under difficult circumstances was fine and he did well at Napoli too. I just don't see how that stacks up to McClaren's Boro and Twente performances with a host of failures following that.

His time at Boro counts just fine. But I would expect more from someone being compared to Benitez.

Benitez brilliantly at Valencia and Liverpool. Neither club has been close to replicating that since he left. He failed at Inter and Real was a big meh. But his spell at Chelsea under difficult circumstances was fine and he did well at Napoli too. I just don't see how that stacks up to McClaren's Boro and Twente performances with a host of failures following that.

McClaren <did> brilliantly at Boro and Twente. Neither club has been close to replicating that since he left. He failed at Wolfsburg and Forest was a big meh. But his spell at Derby under difficult circumstances was fine and he did well with England too. I just don't see how that stacks up to Benitez' Valencia and Liverpool performances with a host of failures following that.

If rating them both on a resources to performance scale they both get the same graph in my opinion.

If Benitez does end up in Saudi Sportswashing Machine, we'll have a more level field for comparison.

On the whole Benitez is probably a better tactician and coach than McClaren. However, i can see why there would be an argument that could compare them based on their current/most recent roles.
After his two titles at Valencia, Rafa is yet to win a league title - and he has had enough resources to do so when compared to what he achieved at Valencia (which was magnificent, but also at a time when La Liga was much more of a level playing field than it is now). In fact since Liverpool it could be argued that only at Chelski did he leave a club in arguably the same/better position.

At Inter he followed Jose and was perhaps unlucky - but tactically he was a flop (e.g. see how he set his Inter team up vs us and Bale when he should have know what our strengths were under Harry: pace).

Chelski - he did well and took all their cup competitions seriously; BUT when he joined Chelski were still in a title race. The gap between them and the top grew bigger and bigger as the weeks went on and it really shouldn't have been the case given their team (not perfect but better than the growing gap that started under him). A less defensive manager would have challenged City for second at least.

Napoli - they were a team that should have challenged much more than they did; in fact they went backwards over his time there and he left with them outside the L places. When he joined they were steadily top 2/3. Again is tactics were called into question, esp given the squad he inherited and built. Many Italian commentators say the way Napoli are playing this season since he's left is a big indictment on him.

Real is Real, but to lose 4-0 at home vs Barca (and often playing genrally very dull football) means it can be seen why he is on the 'managerial scrap heap'.

McClaren mostly hasn't had access to the kind of player resources that Benitez has had..

McClaren <did> brilliantly at Boro and Twente. Neither club has been close to replicating that since he left. He failed at Wolfsburg and Forest was a big meh. But his spell at Derby under difficult circumstances was fine and he did well with England too. I just don't see how that stacks up to Benitez' Valencia and Liverpool performances with a host of failures following that.

If rating them both on a resources to performance scale they both get the same graph in my opinion.

If Benitez does end up in Saudi Sportswashing Machine, we'll have a more level field for comparison.

Boro performance for McClaren was good, but he also spent a lot of money. Twente was one year, when he returned he failed to replicate that. To me what Benitez did with Liverpool and Valencia is more impressive.

When Benitez has failed it's been failing at a not getting a team to perform above it's level kind of failing, apart from Inter. McClaren has failed to bring teams up to the level one would expect from them on several occasions.

Boro performance for McClaren was good, but he also spent a lot of money. Twente was one year, when he returned he failed to replicate that. To me what Benitez did with Liverpool and Valencia is more impressive.

When Benitez has failed it's been failing at a not getting a team to perform above it's level kind of failing, apart from Inter. McClaren has failed to bring teams up to the level one would expect from them on several occasions.

fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree, my feeling on both of them is that they tend to hit par, ignoring their outliers obviously

I hope Rafa does the right thing and manages the first game shirtless, first time they've had a manager capable of joining in that tradition

Karanka walked out of Middlesboro training yesterday and won't be in charge against Charlton. Boro are in the midst of a second successive late season collapse with just 12 points from their last 10 games. £9 million January signing Jordan Rhodes has mostly been on the bench.

Back